FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » RPC_METHOD how to "define"
RPC_METHOD how to "define" [message #47578] Tue, 31 January 2017 16:56 Go to next message
NilaT is currently offline  NilaT
Hello everybody,

I'm currently experimenting with RPC_METHOD and MtRpcClient/MtRpcServer.

I want to do a class and write some RPC_METHOD's my own, but as class Members.

How do i extract that weird define?
#define RPC_METHOD(name) void name(RpcData& rpc); INITBLOCK { Register(#name, name); } void name(RpcData& rpc)

So in particular, how can I use the example method getClientList as a member function?
And whats INITBLOCK and #name?

Thanks in advance.
Greets
Re: RPC_METHOD how to "define" [message #47579 is a reply to message #47578] Tue, 31 January 2017 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi NilaT,

NilaT wrote on Tue, 31 January 2017 16:56
How do i extract that weird define?
#define RPC_METHOD(name) void name(RpcData& rpc); INITBLOCK { Register(#name, name); } void name(RpcData& rpc)

So in particular, how can I use the example method getClientList as a member function?
And whats INITBLOCK and #name?

First a little hint: In TheIDE open a file where RPC_METHOD is used and hit Build -> Preprocess (or Alt+F7). It will show you the file with all includes included and macros expanded.

Now, to decipher the macro:

The INITBLOCK is another U++ macro, which allows you to add a code block that will be executed when the program starts, before main() is executed. It is often used to register methods or plugins.

#name creates a string literal of the value passed to the name parameter. So the "RPC_METHOD(MyMethod){ some_code; }" expands to this:
void MyMethod(RpcData& rpc);
INITBLOCK {
    Register("MyMethod", MyMethod);
}

void name(RpcData& rpc) {
    some_code;
}
Note that I added some newlines for better readability. So what the macro does, step by step, is:
1) The function is declared.
2) It is registered, so that the RPC server knows that the method exists.
3) The function is defined. Here the code block that follows macro handily becomes the function body.

Does this explanation make it clearer?

To create the methods as class members, you'll have to do the same steps as the macro does, but with a member functions. That's is declare and/or define the member function and register it before it can be used. It would be probably ok to call Register in the class constructor. So it could look somewhat like this:
class MyRpcClass {
public:
    typedef MyRpcClass CLASSNAME;
    void MyMethod(RpcData& data);
    MyRpcClass() {
        Register("MyMethod", THISBACK(MyMethod));
    }
}

Warning: I haven't tested the code (and I'm not even familiar with how the RpcServer works internally), so it will probably need a bit more work Smile But in general, it should be possible to do this.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: RPC_METHOD how to "define" [message #47582 is a reply to message #47578] Wed, 01 February 2017 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Honza, thanks for your reply.

Yes, your explanation makes it a bit clearer for me, thanks Smile
Maybe you could add all those little, Upp specific things in the documentations some day? Wink

As for the member function... I've tried your code, but it won't work.
Tried some other things too, but still won't compile.
Maybe you know a solution?

Here's some code I tried and the resulting errors:
	Register("GetClients", THISBACK(GetClients));

test.cpp (70): error C2664: "void Upp::Register(const char *,void (__cdecl *)(Upp::RpcData &),const char *)" : Konvertierung von Argument 2 von "Upp::Event<Upp::RpcData &>" in "void
 (__cdecl *)(Upp::RpcData &)" nicht möglich

Register("GetClients", GetClients);

test.cpp (70): error C3867: "Test::GetClients": Keine Standardsyntax; "&" zum Erstellen eines Verweises auf das Member verwenden

Register("GetClients", &GetClients);

test.cpp (70): error C2276: "&": Ungültige Operation auf Ausdruck einer gebundenen Memberfunktion

Any solutions?
Thanks Smile
Re: RPC_METHOD how to "define" [message #47589 is a reply to message #47578] Thu, 02 February 2017 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Well, the problem is that THISBACK can't be converted to function pointer as expected by Register. This can be worked around, but I had to made an one assumption: Only one instance of the class exists at a time. This is quite reasonable in RPC server, since otherwise you wouldn't know which instance to use when client calls one of the methods.

Here is a working (tested Smile) code:
#include <Core/Core.h>
#include <Core/Rpc/Rpc.h>

using namespace Upp;

class MyRpcClass {
    Time last;
public:
    typedef MyRpcClass CLASSNAME;
    void Status(RpcData& rpc) {
        rpc << last;
    }
    void Ping(RpcData& rpc) {
        last = GetSysTime();
        rpc << last;
    }
    static void RegisterMethods() {
        // we use lambda to get a singleton instance of the class and call its method
        Register("Status", [](RpcData& rpc){Single<MyRpcClass>().Status(rpc);});
        Register("Ping", [](RpcData& rpc){Single<MyRpcClass>().Ping(rpc);});
    }
};

INITBLOCK {
	// calls all the registrations before main executes
	MyRpcClass::RegisterMethods();
}

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
	Cout() << "Server...\n";
	LogRpcRequests();
	RpcServerLoop(1234);
}

It could be made slightly prettier with macros, but I didn't want to obfuscate the logic too much...

Honza
Re: RPC_METHOD how to "define" [message #47594 is a reply to message #47578] Fri, 03 February 2017 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
NilaT wrote on Tue, 31 January 2017 16:56

Well, in addition to what was said, I guess trouble is that "member function" does not make much sense here. RPC on this basic level has no notion of object instances, the whole server is treated as, more or less, single object.

You can add object layer over this, but usually it makes little sense.

Mirek
Re: RPC_METHOD how to "define" [message #47601 is a reply to message #47578] Sun, 05 February 2017 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys for your help.
Mirek, my intention why I want it as member functions is, because my RPC Methods all need a database connection, so in one class function I open the connection and keep it open. And because I don't want to pass this PostgreSqlSession to all RPC Functions, I want to use a member.
Furthermore I need an Instance of a very big class and don't want to pass this either, so a member seems to be the best solution in my opinion.

PS: Maybe you can explain this code? I mean... it compiles, but I really don't know what this does:
[](RpcData& rpc){Single<MyRpcClass>().Status(rpc);});

[Updated on: Sun, 05 February 2017 13:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RPC_METHOD how to "define" [message #47603 is a reply to message #47601] Sun, 05 February 2017 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
NilaT wrote on Sun, 05 February 2017 11:02
Thanks guys for your help.
Mirek, my intention why I want it as member functions is, because my RPC Methods all need a database connection, so in one class function I open the connection and keep it open. And because I don't want to pass this PostgreSqlSession to all RPC Functions, I want to use a member.
Furthermore I need an Instance of a very big class and don't want to pass this either, so a member seems to be the best solution in my opinion.

The basically you need single global connection, that is all. Situation would not change with introduction of class.

There are some further consideration (like will be your application multithreaded?), but you will either end with one connection per server thread or one connection per server call...

Quote:

PS: Maybe you can explain this code? I mean... it compiles, but I really don't know what this does:

Single<MyRpcClass> actually pretty much does the same thing - there will be single global instance of MyRpcClass.

Mirek
Re: RPC_METHOD how to "define" [message #47604 is a reply to message #47601] Sun, 05 February 2017 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

As Mirek already said, global instance is just fine for this purpose. If you don't like global variables, than you can use the template Single<T>, just as I did in the example, to create single instance of some type T, which is shared by all the code that calls Single<T>(). Furthermore, for Sql connection, there are already application-wide variables SQL and SQLR for this (the second one can be used for readonly connections). These variables even allow to write some sql commands in simpler way.

No U++ solution for this, but again, global variable or any kind of singleton should do.

Single<> creates singleton instance, while "[](RpcData& rpc) {}" is a definition of lambda function from C++11. It is basically an anonymous function that takes RpcData& as parameter and calls your member function on the singleton as mentioned above.

Honza
Re: RPC_METHOD how to "define" [message #47605 is a reply to message #47578] Sun, 05 February 2017 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, thanks for your input.
Still very new terrain for me.
I understand the part with global variables...
Not sure about that Single-part though. Is this some kind of static?
And Lambda is completly new to me... Didn't understand a thing here but as long as it work's im kinda happy Wink

And mirek yes, it's going to be MT. Like the MtRpcServer.
Re: RPC_METHOD how to "define" [message #47608 is a reply to message #47605] Mon, 06 February 2017 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
NilaT wrote on Sun, 05 February 2017 22:00
Wow, thanks for your input.
Still very new terrain for me.
I understand the part with global variables...
Not sure about that Single-part though. Is this some kind of static?

Single represents singleton pattern, single global instance of calss.

Quote:

And Lambda is completly new to me... Didn't understand a thing here but as long as it work's im kinda happy Wink

And mirek yes, it's going to be MT. Like the MtRpcServer.

Well, then you have sort of different issue to resolve, Single is not good enough there... You will rather need one DB connection per thread.
Re: RPC_METHOD how to "define" [message #47610 is a reply to message #47578] Mon, 06 February 2017 16:33 Go to previous message
I'll give it a shot and come back to you if any errors occur Wink

In the meanwhile, thanks for your help
Previous Topic: Requirement Printing in a batch -> new Feature for PrinterJob
Next Topic: C2280
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:03:47 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01650 seconds