Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » ArrayCtrl, HeaderCtrl & GridCtrl » GridControl release memory (GridCtrl unable to reset memory usage)
GridControl release memory [message #49061] Mon, 11 December 2017 07:56 Go to next message
chis.adrian is currently offline  chis.adrian
Hi,
I have the following function:

void SelSqliteQuery( GridCtrl * MyGridCtrl ,std::string Qstr)
	{	

MyGridCtrl->RemoveColumn(0,MyGridCtrl->GetColumnCount() );
		MyGridCtrl->Reset();
		MyGridCtrl->Ready(false);

sqlite3 * db;

if (sqlite3_open_v2(path_db.ToString().ToStd().c_str(),&db,SQLITE_OPEN_READWRITE,NULL)!=SQLITE_OK)
	 {
	  PromptOK("Can't create or open database file\n"); 
	 return;
	 }

const char *quer = Qstr.c_str();
     sqlite3_stmt *statement;
	if(sqlite3_prepare_v2 (db, quer, -1, &statement, 0) != SQLITE_OK)
	{
		PromptOK("sqlite3_prepare_v2 FAILED \n"); 
		return;
	}

int rows=0;
    int cols = sqlite3_column_count(statement);

for (int CC=0;CC<cols;CC++)
	MyGridCtrl->AddColumn( (char*)sqlite3_column_name(statement, CC));

while(true)
		{
			if( sqlite3_step(statement) == SQLITE_ROW)
			{
				  for(int col = 0; col < cols; col++)
				  MyGridCtrl->Set(rows,col, (char*)sqlite3_column_text(statement, col)); 	
			rows++;
			} else break;
		}

sqlite3_finalize(statement);
 	 sqlite3_close(db);
 	 MyGridCtrl->Ready(true);

}

Well it work and its fast nice,
Problem is that this function is called many times as I want to create a small data base browser.
(I checked the function in other C++ app and for what I can tell ain't leaking)
Now when I select a big table memory goes up 400 mb acceptable its big but when I select a smaller one
memory remains same usage.
How can I reset ,delete ,clear whatever the memory usage.
Thank You.

Re: GridControl release memory [message #49062 is a reply to message #49061] Mon, 11 December 2017 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
If this is within single application run and if you deduce those 400MB from e.g. task manager, then the behaviour is as expected and it is a feature of memory allocator - it retains the memory allocated from the system to boost the performance.

I believe such behaviour is pretty standard for all malloc/new implementations, not U++ specific.

In U++, we have planned MemoryShrink function that is supposed to release as much memory as possible back to the system, but it is not really developed yet and pressure to do it is low. (The real reason why it is not yet developed is that Win32 has hard limit on number of memory commit blocks which is not quite compatible with what we need).
Re: GridControl release memory [message #49063 is a reply to message #49062] Mon, 11 December 2017 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank You,
I understand I was afraid of this answer since I saw on other C,C++ Grid,Table ... implementations.

Anyway is there a way to access Grids Vector<Vector (Exposed) so I can try shrink it my self?
I already done it in a C program and new C++ has std::vector::shrink_to_fit maybe I can use it.

Re: GridControl release memory [message #49064 is a reply to message #49063] Mon, 11 December 2017 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
chis.adrian wrote on Mon, 11 December 2017 10:06
Thank You,
I understand I was afraid of this answer since I saw on other C,C++ Grid,Table ... implementations.

Anyway is there a way to access Grids Vector<Vector (Exposed) so I can try shrink it my self?
I already done it in a C program and new C++ has std::vector::shrink_to_fit maybe I can use it.

Ah, you do not understand. That would not help. Memory is correctly released, there are no leaks and nothing to be shrunk.

However, that released memory is kept in reserve by U++ memory management subsystem (aka "memory allocator") for further allocations.

The reason is that a) retrieving memory from system is somewhat expensive b) U++ allocator "formats" memory blocks, which is something that can be avoided if memory is kept in reserve instead being returned to the system and then retrieved again

(and then there is that technical problem with Win32, which only allows limited granularity)
Re: GridControl release memory [message #49065 is a reply to message #49064] Mon, 11 December 2017 10:49 Go to previous message
OK.
I guess I'll have to live with that Very Happy .
Not such a big problem application will be used by me only I can eventually
restart if it's required.
Thank you for quick answers.

Previous Topic: GridCtrl
Next Topic: SOLVED: Array and Grid on high definition monitor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:55:30 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01260 seconds