Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » Question about SubRange.
Question about SubRange. [message #49191] Thu, 04 January 2018 21:58 Go to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
Function SubRange has two overloads below.

template <class C>
auto SubRange(C& c, int pos, int count) -> decltype(SubRange(c.begin() + pos, count))
{
	return SubRange(c.begin() + pos, count);
}

template <class C>
auto SubRange(C&& c, int pos, int count) -> decltype(SubRange(c.begin() + pos, count))
{
}

The second one doesn't actually move anything, so, it is just not needed, IMHO.
The first one can always be used instead. And it should look like below. IMHO.

template <class C>
auto SubRange(const C& c, int pos, int count) -> decltype(SubRange(c.begin() + pos, count))
{
}

Method begin() is always const I believe ...
And you can drop this decltype in C++14 ...

Regards,
Novo
Re: Question about SubRange. [message #49218 is a reply to message #49191] Mon, 08 January 2018 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Thu, 04 January 2018 21:58
Function SubRange has two overloads below.

template <class C>
auto SubRange(C& c, int pos, int count) -> decltype(SubRange(c.begin() + pos, count))
{
}

template <class C>
auto SubRange(C&& c, int pos, int count) -> decltype(SubRange(c.begin() + pos, count))
{
}

The second one doesn't actually move anything, so, it is just not needed, IMHO.
The first one can always be used instead. And it should look like below. IMHO.

template <class C>
auto SubRange(const C& c, int pos, int count) -> decltype(SubRange(c.begin() + pos, count))
{
}

Method begin() is always const I believe ...

Not true (not in U++ nor STL). That is basically a reason for those 2 overloads. E.g. try Sort with just const variant...

Quote:

And you can drop this decltype in C++14 ...

Not if we want to maintain C++11 compatibility (current status is that we do and we will as long as it is cheap. I think decltype here is cheap).
Re: Question about SubRange. [message #49221 is a reply to message #49218] Mon, 08 January 2018 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 05:52

Not true (not in U++ nor STL). That is basically a reason for those 2 overloads. E.g. try Sort with just const variant...

The "C& c" variant is definitely not needed. The "C&& c" variant is an universal reference and it is a complete replacement of the "C& c" variant. I tried to compile TheIDE with "C& c" commented out and it compiles just fine.

The problem with the "const C& c" variant is that when you try to construct the SubRangeClass you get a SubRangeClass<const I> version.
I tried to strip the constness like below
template <class I>
SubRangeClass<I> SubRange(I l, I h)
{
	return SubRangeClass<typename std::remove_const<I>::type>(l, h);
}

template <class I>
SubRangeClass<I> SubRange(I l, int count)
{
	return SubRangeClass<typename std::remove_const<I>::type>(l, count);
}

But I'm still getting weird compilation problems with TabBar::Tab.

And I'm still a little bit confused about what is IterSwap for. What is wrong with the regular Swap?

Something is not right about all this ...

Regards,
Novo
Re: Question about SubRange. [message #49222 is a reply to message #49221] Mon, 08 January 2018 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 15:55
mirek wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 05:52

The "C& c" variant is definitely not needed. The "C&& c" variant is an universal reference and it is a complete replacement of the "C& c" variant. I tried to compile TheIDE with "C& c" commented out and it compiles just fine.

theide is not a good representative, as there probably is not a single use of subrange.

It is quite possible that C& is not needed, but I think I had some issues with at least some compilers with that approach. But it would really be a great if I could remove them...

Quote:

And I'm still a little bit confused about what is IterSwap for. What is wrong with the regular Swap?

When sorting Array, you can swap just pointers instead of objects - it is optimization.

Mirek
Re: Question about SubRange. [message #49249 is a reply to message #49222] Wed, 10 January 2018 20:56 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
I have tried to remove l-value references, leaving only universal T&& references just as you suggest. So far seems good.

Thanks.

Mirek
Previous Topic: ReadSecret() function for reading passwords, etc. from the console.
Next Topic: I've been using FindFile wrong all these years
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:03:00 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01096 seconds