Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » I request the implementation of callback5
I request the implementation of callback5 [message #49815] Wed, 09 May 2018 21:23 Go to next message
aftershock is currently offline  aftershock
Experienced Member
Hi,
I request the implementation of callback5.
Can you implement it?

Regards
A.
Re: I request the implementation of callback5 [message #49816 is a reply to message #49815] Wed, 09 May 2018 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Quote:
Hi,
I request the implementation of callback5.
Can you implement it?

Regards
A.

Hello Aftershock,

Callback is depreceated. Is there any reason for not using Function, Event, or Gate (the latter two are actually aliases for Function templates with specific return types (void and bool)) that can take any number of arguments? They are compatible with Callback, and superior.

E.g.
Event<int, int, int, int, int>       event; // returns void;
Gate<int, int, int, int, int>        gate;  // returns bool;
Function<T(int, int, int, int, int)> func;  // returns type T;

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Wed, 09 May 2018 23:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: I request the implementation of callback5 [message #49818 is a reply to message #49816] Thu, 10 May 2018 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I will use anything else if it works..
What do they do?
What is difference among them?
Advantages/disadvantages?
OK...I see the difference is in return type.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2018 10:22]

Re: I request the implementation of callback5 [message #49819 is a reply to message #49818] Thu, 10 May 2018 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Quote:

I will use anything else if it works..
What do they do?
What is difference among them?
Advantages/disadvantages?

They are basically the same. You can consider the Upp::Function (and its two derivatives Event, and Gate) as the re-implemantation of the old U++ Calllback mechanism, using the C++11 features such as variadic templates.

From the U++ official documentation:
Upp::Function is wrapper to represent callable operation. It is similar to std::function with two differences:

- Calling empty Function is allowed (and NOP). Returns zero.
- Functions can be combined (chained) using operator<<

So,

#include <Core/Core.h>

using namespace Upp;

struct Foo {
	Event<int, int> WhenAddition;
	void DoAddition(int a, int b) { WhenAddition(a, b); }
};

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
	StdLogSetup(LOG_COUT);

// I am explicitly specifying the type here for educational purpose.
	// Normally you can simply use auto, where it is proper.
	Event<int, int> Addition = [=](int a, int b) {
		LOG("Foo::DoAddition: " << a + b);
	};

Gate<int, int> Subtraction = [=](int a, int b) {
		return a - b > 0;
	};

Function<int(int, int)> Multiplication = [=](int a, int b) {
		return a * b;
	};

Foo myfoo;
	myfoo.WhenAddition = pick(Addition); 

int a = 10, b = 5;

myfoo.DoAddition(a, b);

if(Subtraction(a, b))
		LOG("a is greater than b");

LOG(Multiplication(a, b));
}

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2018 13:30]

Re: I request the implementation of callback5 [message #49820 is a reply to message #49819] Thu, 10 May 2018 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
What about thisback?

E,g
threads[free_index].Run ( THISBACK5 ( execute_bot_in_background, bot1, a, pick(params), result_mode, stat_group_id ) );

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2018 18:58]

Re: I request the implementation of callback5 [message #49821 is a reply to message #49820] Thu, 10 May 2018 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Quote:
What about thisback?

E,g
threads[free_index].Run ( THISBACK5 ( execute_bot_in_background, bot1, a, pick(params), result_mode, stat_group_id ) );

Use anonymous functions instead, that's the preferred way.
I'd either write the code as local anonymous function, or simply wrap it in a local anonymous function (lambda). That's analogous to what Callback does:

const int a = 10, b = 10;

Thread::Run([=]{ Cout() << a *b; }); // <- Use capture by value; (If you are going to capture by reference insted, be veyy careful, as this is a thread.  

Or

Thread::Run([=]{  execute_bot_in_background(bot1, a, pick(params), result_mode, stat_group_id); });

As a side note: If you are working with threads, and you don't need dedicated threads but worker threads, I suggest using Upp::CoWork, or Upp::AsyncWork
They are much easier to use and control, and CAN give a greater performance, as they are optimized to be used as worker threads.
Just check their docs and reference examples.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2018 19:25]

Re: I request the implementation of callback5 [message #49837 is a reply to message #49821] Tue, 15 May 2018 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
it does not seem to be work..

Instead , I had to do this
        Atomic wait_until;
	wait_until.store ( 1, std::memory_order_relaxed );
	threads[free_index].Run ( [&,a,bot1,result_mode, stat_group_id]
	{
		VectorMap<String, double> params2 = pick ( params );
		wait_until.store ( 0, std::memory_order_relaxed );

execute_bot_in_background ( bot1, a, pick ( params2 ), result_mode, stat_group_id );

} );

while ( 1 )
	{
		// memory barrier for visibility semantics

// spin wait
		if ( !wait_until.load ( std::memory_order_acquire ) )
		{
			break;
		}
	}

I wonder if that was safe

How was params copied? Could it happen by the time pick would transfer it.. params could go out of scope faster?

By the way, using lambda's value copying is that thread safe?

[Updated on: Tue, 15 May 2018 21:31]

Re: I request the implementation of callback5 [message #49838 is a reply to message #49837] Wed, 16 May 2018 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Quote:

it does not seem to be work..

Possibly a capture issue. I can't really say what's wrong until you provide the error messages. Smile

threads[free_index].Run ( [&,a,bot1,result_mode, stat_group_id]

Not a good practice,really. Try to avoid using default capture by reference where possible. As it captures every variable in scope (This can give you headaches when your code gets complex.).

And as I said before, If you are capturing by reference, you need to take into account the lifetime of the captured object to prevent dangling references.

Capture by reference explicitly only the variables you need. And use the capture by value mechanism for others:

threads[free_index].Run ( [=,&a,&bot1,&result_mode, &stat_group_id]

By the way, using lambda's value copying is that thread safe?

Capture by value, copies (or moves where possible or explicitly stated) the parameters for each instance.
In general it is no different than ordinary copy operations, so yes.

(There are some corner cases though. I suggest reading Scott Meyers' Effective Modern C++ for information on the possible but rare complications.)

And again I suggest using CoWork if possible, as you seem to be dealing with worker threads.
A dumb, and simple example:
int n = 0;

CoWork co;

for(int i = 0; i < 6; i++)
       co & [=, &n]{
               // Thread Code.
               CoWork::FinLock();
               n++;
       };
     co.Finish(); // Waits until all workers have finished their jobs. (There is also a non-blocking version: CoWork::IsFinished())

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Wed, 16 May 2018 09:55]

Re: I request the implementation of callback5 [message #49840 is a reply to message #49838] Wed, 16 May 2018 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
threads[free_index].Run ( [=]//,a,bot1,result_mode, stat_group_id]
	{
		VectorMap<String, double> params2 = pick ( params ); //line 1717
//		wait_until.store ( 0, std::memory_order_relaxed );

execute_bot_in_background ( bot1, a, pick ( params2 ), result_mode, stat_group_id );

} );

main.cpp(1717): error C2280: 'Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double>::VectorMap(const Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double> &)': attempting to reference a delete
    d function
d:\upp-mingw-11873\upp\uppsrc\core\Map.h(237): note: compiler has generated 'Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double>::VectorMap' here
d:\upp-mingw-11873\upp\uppsrc\core\Map.h(237): note: 'Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double>::VectorMap(const Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double> &)': function was implicitly delet
    ed because a base class invokes a deleted or inaccessible function 'Upp::AMap<K,T,Upp::Vector<T>>::AMap(const Upp::AMap<K,T,Upp::Vector<T>> &)'
        with
        [
            K=Upp::String,
            T=double
        ]
d:\upp-mingw-11873\upp\uppsrc\core\Map.h(215): note: 'Upp::AMap<K,T,Upp::Vector<T>>::AMap(const Upp::AMap<K,T,Upp::Vector<T>> &)': function was implicitly deleted because a da
    ta member invokes a deleted or inaccessible function 'Upp::Index<Upp::String>::Index(const Upp::Index<Upp::String> &)'
        with
        [
            T=double
        ]

[Updated on: Wed, 16 May 2018 12:04]

Re: I request the implementation of callback5 [message #49841 is a reply to message #49840] Wed, 16 May 2018 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
VectorMap<String, double> params2 = pick ( params ); //line 1717

Because params is already implicitly moved while captured.
You need to either capture it by reference, or explicitly move it (the latter is preferred).:

void Foo(const VectorMap<String, double>& vm)
{
	DUMP(vm);
}

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
	VectorMap<String, double> params;
	params.Add("Hello world.") = 999;

Thread().Run([=, params = pick(params)]{ // Moves params. C++14 feature (AFAIK default in U++)
		Foo(params);
	});
}

Best regards,
OBlivion

[Updated on: Wed, 16 May 2018 13:28]

Re: I request the implementation of callback5 [message #49846 is a reply to message #49841] Wed, 16 May 2018 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
No, moving does not work...
D:\m\upp\tradetester\main.cpp(1717): error C2280: 'Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double>::VectorMap(const Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double> &)': attempting to reference a deleted fu
    nction
d:\upp-mingw-11873\upp\uppsrc\core\Map.h(237): note: compiler has generated 'Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double>::VectorMap' here
d:\upp-mingw-11873\upp\uppsrc\core\Map.h(237): note: 'Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double>::VectorMap(const Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double> &)': function was implicitly deleted b
    ecause a base class invokes a deleted or inaccessible function 'Upp::AMap<K,T,Upp::Vector<T>>::AMap(const Upp::AMap<K,T,Upp::Vector<T>> &)'
        with
        [
            T=double
        ]
d:\upp-mingw-11873\upp\uppsrc\core\Map.h(215): note: 'Upp::AMap<K,T,Upp::Vector<T>>::AMap(const Upp::AMap<K,T,Upp::Vector<T>> &)': function was implicitly deleted because a data m
    ember invokes a deleted or inaccessible function 'Upp::Index<Upp::String>::Index(const Upp::Index<Upp::String> &)'
        with
        [
            T=double
        ]
d:\upp-mingw-11873\upp\uppsrc\core\Index.h(222): note: 'Upp::Index<Upp::String>::Index(const Upp::Index<Upp::String> &)': function was implicitly deleted because 'Upp::Index<Upp::
    String>' has a user-defined move constructor

[Updated on: Wed, 16 May 2018 23:32]

Re: I request the implementation of callback5 [message #49852 is a reply to message #49846] Fri, 18 May 2018 14:50 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
aftershock wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 23:26
No, moving does not work...
D:\m\upp\tradetester\main.cpp(1717): error C2280: 'Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double>::VectorMap(const Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double> &)': attempting to reference a deleted fu
    nction
d:\upp-mingw-11873\upp\uppsrc\core\Map.h(237): note: 'Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double>::VectorMap(const Upp::VectorMap<Upp::String,double> &)': function was implicitly deleted b
    ecause a base class invokes a deleted or inaccessible function 'Upp::AMap<K,T,Upp::Vector<T>>::AMap(const Upp::AMap<K,T,Upp::Vector<T>> &)'
        with
        [
            T=double
        ]
d:\upp-mingw-11873\upp\uppsrc\core\Map.h(215): note: 'Upp::AMap<K,T,Upp::Vector<T>>::AMap(const Upp::AMap<K,T,Upp::Vector<T>> &)': function was implicitly deleted because a data m
    ember invokes a deleted or inaccessible function 'Upp::Index<Upp::String>::Index(const Upp::Index<Upp::String> &)'
        with
        [
            T=double
        ]
d:\upp-mingw-11873\upp\uppsrc\core\Index.h(222): note: 'Upp::Index<Upp::String>::Index(const Upp::Index<Upp::String> &)': function was implicitly deleted because 'Upp::Index<Upp::
    String>' has a user-defined move constructor

Hard to say without seeing the code....

The example Oblivion has posted is correct and addresses exactly this issue.

Mirek
Previous Topic: design flaw in scatterctrl?
Next Topic: How can I turn off soring in ArrayCtrl?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:57:02 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01688 seconds