FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Date emulation for Sqlite
Date emulation for Sqlite [message #5291] Tue, 12 September 2006 17:37 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Sqlite does not support DATE type, which is a bit trouble with U++, as we cannot use natural Date <- column conversions.

I have this idea of Date emulation in Sqlite:

Store Date d as

(d - Date(1970, 1, 1)) * 1.0e300.

This way we would know that any double stored in database bigger than 1.0e300 is Date. Comparisons would work as well, the only downsize is that "number of days between" would be a bit high and that you would not be able to store doubles bigger than 1.0e300...

Should I do that? Any better solutions?

Mirek
Re: Date emulation for Sqlite [message #5292 is a reply to message #5291] Tue, 12 September 2006 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ulti is currently offline  Ulti
Experienced Member
maybe this can help,I don't match datetime type yet. Razz
http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=DateAndTimeFunctions
Re: Date emulation for Sqlite [message #5293 is a reply to message #5292] Tue, 12 September 2006 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
My problem with this special double is that it would break two things:
1. Internal sqlite date operations as Ulti pointed to that
2. the readability of the result of a simple sql select.

I don't know well the logic of sch files yet, but wouldn't it be possible to use them to get the type of a column?
Re: Date emulation for Sqlite [message #5294 is a reply to message #5291] Tue, 12 September 2006 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

The only problem with sqlite is when you select "stringed dates" into value and you want that value to be date type.
Now I use ScanDate which seems to work well.

Value dt = ScanDate(String(SQL[DT])); //DT column that holds date

Date ScanDate(String &s)
{
if(s.IsEmpty())
return Null;
int year = atoi(s.Left(4));
int month = atoi(s.Mid(5, 2));
int day = atoi(s.Right(2));

return Date(year, month, day);
}

But I agree that is troublesome and your chage is wanted.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 September 2006 22:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Date emulation for Sqlite [message #5295 is a reply to message #5293] Tue, 12 September 2006 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
zsolt wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 12:28

My problem with this special double is that it would break two things:
1. Internal sqlite date operations as Ulti pointed to that
2. the readability of the result of a simple sql select.

I don't know well the logic of sch files yet, but wouldn't it be possible to use them to get the type of a column?

1. can be to large degree solved by SqlExp. In fact, it is "timestamp" type in disguise...

2. OK, this has not come to my mind, that is valid concern. OTOH, it affects non-U++ tools only. In U++, you would be able to get correct dates only.

What about to be a little crazy and encode Date(2006, 9, 12) as 0.20060912e300 ? Smile

Anyway, any other ideas how to store Date into Sqlite?

The only other one that I have is to store it as string with prefix - that however would mean to introduce some trouble to regular strings as well.

Well, I guess I owe the reason why that is so important. The thing to solve is that you cannot now with Sqlite associate EditDate with Sqlite column. Especially troublesome with SqlCtrls or SqlArray.

Mirek
Re: Date emulation for Sqlite [message #5296 is a reply to message #5295] Tue, 12 September 2006 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Quote:

What about to be a little crazy and encode Date(2006, 9, 12) as 0.20060912e300 ?

It is much more readale Smile

BTW, what about time?
Re: Date emulation for Sqlite [message #5297 is a reply to message #5296] Tue, 12 September 2006 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Time would be nice as well, but is not nearly as important. I am using 2 DATE columns per table average, however I never used any time column in my career.

Mirek
Re: Date emulation for Sqlite [message #5337 is a reply to message #5297] Thu, 14 September 2006 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
FYI: Using sqlite, it is possible, to use any typename in a create table statement. For example, this code is valid SQL:
create table test (id integer primary key, some_date_field date)

And of course, you can get this "custom" type, querying the type of the field.
Re: Date emulation for Sqlite [message #5339 is a reply to message #5337] Thu, 14 September 2006 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
You can use these two functions to get the declared type of a column:
const char *sqlite3_column_decltype(sqlite3_stmt *, int i);
const void *sqlite3_column_decltype16(sqlite3_stmt*,int);
Re: Date emulation for Sqlite [message #5347 is a reply to message #5339] Fri, 15 September 2006 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, looks like an excellent option, unfortunately it seems like it does not work for

select max(mydate) from table

(or any other expression).
icon3.gif  Re: Date emulation for Sqlite [message #6762 is a reply to message #5295] Sun, 26 November 2006 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fabio is currently offline  fabio
Promising Member
EditDate not work with SqlCtrl and Sqlite, but you can make new ctrl like SqlEditDate which work with date like "yyyy-mm-dd" in sqlite table. The only requirement is SQL.GetDialect().

You can change method for support more formats like yyyymmdd (string like number) and others.

//----------------------------------------------------------
//Add this class definition in SqlCtrl.h

class SqlEditDate : public EditDate
{
public:
virtual void SetData(const Value& data);
};

//--------------------------------------------------
// Add this method in SqlCtrl.cpp

void SqlEditDate::SetData(const Value& data)
{
Value valdata = data;
if (SQL.GetDialect()==SQLITE3){
switch(data.GetType()){
case STRING_V:
case WSTRING_V:
valdata = Date(atoi(data.ToString().Mid(0,4)),atoi(data.ToString().Mid (5,2)),atoi(data.ToString().Mid(8,2)));
break;
}
}
SetText((WString)convert->Format(valdata));
}
//-------------------------------------------------

Fabio
Re: Date emulation for Sqlite [message #6763 is a reply to message #6762] Sun, 26 November 2006 18:24 Go to previous message
Contributor
Quote:

EditDate not work with SqlCtrl and Sqlite, but you can make new ctrl like SqlEditDate which work with date like "yyyy-mm-dd" in sqlite table.

This is very good idea.
But I think, the main problem is, that it doesn't resolve the Value problem. The Value class is typed internally, and the problem is, that in the core of SQL classes you can not set Value instances correctly, because SQLite doesn't report date types in metadata of query results.
Previous Topic: A new way how to create "plugin"
Next Topic: uvs2 as "public application"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 02:56:47 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01547 seconds