Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Can U++ TheIDE be used with cxxtest ? (Looking for a way to use cxxtest unit test framework for TDD.)
Can U++ TheIDE be used with cxxtest ? [message #54593] Wed, 19 August 2020 07:15 Go to next message
jlfranks is currently offline  jlfranks
We are looking at how to use TDD with U++ TheIDE.
We have several projects that are either console or GUI based.

We would like to use cxxtest framework for this effort.

Is there a way to use U++ TheIDE and cxxtest framework for unit testing?

-- Jeff Franks
Re: Can U++ TheIDE be used with cxxtest ? [message #54597 is a reply to message #54593] Wed, 19 August 2020 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Can't answer your question directly, but for my CLI/U++ projects I'm using for years the "UnitTest++", there's even some original old version in the Bazaar here on web.

But I don't see any obvious reason why U++ should pose any problem to regular C++ UT framework, at least in the trivial land of CLI. I never got the grasp of GUI unit testing, in my projects I always just test the "model" classes without any GUI widgets, and keep the presenter/view part outside of the UT scope - something I wish I would learn to manage better, but so far never had enough "time" for that.

edit: about TheIDE vs UnitTest++: my app can be compiled with UT flag (one of the configurations), at that moment it will in the main launch the test runner instead of going into the app itself, and output the results, so I have them visible in TheIDE console, or I can redirected them to log files when running it from command line. No neat green/red semaphore, but I don't miss that, for me "OK/FAIL" text in console is enough. Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 19 August 2020 09:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can U++ TheIDE be used with cxxtest ? [message #54598 is a reply to message #54593] Wed, 19 August 2020 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
jlfranks wrote on Wed, 19 August 2020 07:15
We are looking at how to use TDD with U++ TheIDE.
We have several projects that are either console or GUI based.

We would like to use cxxtest framework for this effort.

Is there a way to use U++ TheIDE and cxxtest framework for unit testing?

-- Jeff Franks

Well, it is still C++, so it should work, right?

Alternatively, you could setup something similar to U++ testing infrastructure. Instead of putting tests into some headers as classes, you can put individual tests / test groups into packages (we have now about 157 of these, see https://github.com/ultimatepp/ultimatepp/tree/master/autotes t). Testing then compiles and runs one after another. I like to a bit more as each test is individual process, so if it crashes or freezes, other tests are not affected....

Mirek
Re: Can U++ TheIDE be used with cxxtest ? [message #54610 is a reply to message #54593] Wed, 19 August 2020 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Jeff,

Personally I would suggest using Google Test + Google Mocks. Sometime ago I created port for upp and it is available through bazzar. It is still active and supported by Google. On 3rd of October they release version 1.10.x. It posses around 16.5K stars on GitHub.

If you want to use full TDD with good code coverage and stable environment mocks are needed. For example you will be able to simulate network payload or hardware behavior easily.

To use that technology in Upp world I highly suggest backend/frontend separation and test back-end in separate package.

Mirek, you could consider using GTest in auto-test. I think your tests will benefit from that technology especially when using concepts such as test suites and you could still use small GTest app per package instead everything in one bag.

Examples below:
- Testing
- Mocking

Wikipedia:
- Mock_object
- Test-Driven Development (TDD) Shines with Mocking

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 August 2020 20:43]

Report message to a moderator

Resolved with Google Test -- Re: Can U++ TheIDE be used with cxxtest ? [message #54615 is a reply to message #54610] Thu, 20 August 2020 21:44 Go to previous message
jlfranks is currently offline  jlfranks
That was an excellent suggestion!!
It was so easy to do because the gtest plugin was already available.

I'm now well along with a number of unit tests.
This is working out very well.

The tests involve "back-end" code as you suggested.

I'll probably follow-on with Google mock when I need it.

Thanks again.

-- Jeff Franks
Previous Topic: TheIDE [Close others] options don' t work properly
Next Topic: Application crashes and OS instability can overwrite the currently edited file with junk
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:12:52 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01741 seconds