Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » git
git [message #57387] Sat, 31 July 2021 13:23 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
From now on, https://github.com/ultimatepp/ultimatepp.git is the primary upstream repo, svn is in readonly mode and will be abandoned.

This will probably cause some intermediate issues with releases, testing etc, hopefully all will be solved soon.

(Unfortunate side effect is that with svn we have lost fine grained access rights, so it is now either PRs or move the stuff to github. But I guess both options are fine replacement).

Mirek
Re: git [message #57388 is a reply to message #57387] Sun, 01 August 2021 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coolman is currently offline  coolman
Experienced Member
Does it mean, that commits and history were changed in the github.com?
Re: git [message #57389 is a reply to message #57388] Sun, 01 August 2021 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
coolman wrote on Sun, 01 August 2021 11:24

Uhm, yes and no...

github was in sync with svn, so in theory all that we needed was to stop using svn.

That said, after all was done, I have decided to prune the history of obsolete subtree, like bazaar and archive. Those are moved to ultimatepp/archive now.

Maybe that was a mistake, but at least we start clean(er).

Mirek
Re: git [message #57391 is a reply to message #57388] Mon, 02 August 2021 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
coolman wrote on Sun, 01 August 2021 05:24

All hashes have changed.
This means that you need to re-clone U++.
Old repo is gone.

Regards,
Novo
Re: git [message #57393 is a reply to message #57391] Mon, 02 August 2021 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Mon, 02 August 2021 06:57
coolman wrote on Sun, 01 August 2021 05:24

All hashes have changed.
This means that you need to re-clone U++.
Old repo is gone.

If this was a huge problem, I think that at this very moment I can still go back.

The reason why I rewrote the history is that removing bazaar saves about 50% of repo size (but it really needs to be pruned from the history, not just "git rm"). So it is like 400MB repo vs 200MB repo with rewritten history.

Thoughts?

Mirek
Re: git [message #57394 is a reply to message #57393] Mon, 02 August 2021 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Mon, 02 August 2021 05:33
So it is like 400MB repo vs 200MB repo with rewritten history.

IMHO, it is up to the user to decide how much history he/she wants to get.
There are also other "shallow" options:
--shallow-since=<date>

Create a shallow clone with a history after the specified time.
--shallow-exclude=<revision>

Create a shallow clone with a history, excluding commits reachable from a specified remote branch or tag. This option can be specified multiple times.

Another useful thing to use with git is worktrees. They allow you to checkout multiple branches simultaneously.
Basically, you need to check out one bare repo and create a bunch of worktrees.
Well, this depends on user's workflow.

mirek wrote on Mon, 02 August 2021 05:33

Thoughts?
Mirek

Please do not destroy U++ repo very often. Rolling Eyes

Regards,
Novo
Re: git [message #57428 is a reply to message #57394] Mon, 09 August 2021 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi!

Now after switching to git, could someone put here a short tutorial about how to get latest nightly builds and also how to check out and update the source code like I used to do with SVN? I've never used git, so this would obviously help a lot! Smile

Recent nightly builds' release numbers have dropped by over 2000. Is this intentional and what's the meaning?

Is there a plan to add checkout and updating of sources by git to TheIDE, similar to what is currently available for SVN? I'm glad SVN support is there as I'm still using SVN internally here.

(BTW: I'm on Windows today...)

Best regards,

Tom
Re: git [message #57430 is a reply to message #57428] Mon, 09 August 2021 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Mon, 09 August 2021 10:46
Hi!

Now after switching to git, could someone put here a short tutorial about how to get latest nightly builds and also how to check out and update the source code like I used to do with SVN? I've never used git, so this would obviously help a lot! Smile

Download new nightly, the procedure for checking out svn (on Select package dialog, right click assemblies pane, last menu entry) is now changed to checkout git instead.

Quote:

Recent nightly builds' release numbers have dropped by over 2000. Is this intentional and what's the meaning?

Well, git does not have single central revision number, so we are now counting the number of commits in the "master", which is about the same meaning, but there is less commits than there was svn revision.

That said, thanks for spotting this, I will start adding some delta so that the numbers are always increasing (probably later).

Quote:

Is there a plan to add checkout and updating of sources by git to TheIDE, similar to what is currently available for SVN? I'm glad SVN support is there as I'm still using SVN internally here.

(BTW: I'm on Windows today...)

Best regards,

Tom

Should already work, although I feel like git sync still needs some fixes / adjustments if you commit.

Mirek
Re: git [message #57431 is a reply to message #57430] Mon, 09 August 2021 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Mirek,

Ok, I downloaded latest nightly: upp-win-13784.7z, extracted and started it as before. No problem there.

Then I went to 'Select main package' dialog and right clicked the 'Assembly' panel. Furhter on, I selected 'Checkout and setup U++ SVN trunk sources..' and it indeed checked out SVN sources from svn://www.ultimatepp.org/upp -- not git. The SVN revision I get is 16039.

Where did I go wrong here?

Best regards,

Tom
Re: git [message #57432 is a reply to message #57431] Mon, 09 August 2021 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Mon, 09 August 2021 14:15
Hi Mirek,

Ok, I downloaded latest nightly: upp-win-13784.7z, extracted and started it as before. No problem there.

Then I went to 'Select main package' dialog and right clicked the 'Assembly' panel. Furhter on, I selected 'Checkout and setup U++ SVN trunk sources..' and it indeed checked out SVN sources from svn://www.ultimatepp.org/upp -- not git. The SVN revision I get is 16039.

Where did I go wrong here?

Best regards,

Tom

My fault, something went wrong here...
Re: git [message #57433 is a reply to message #57432] Mon, 09 August 2021 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
What about now?
Re: git [message #57434 is a reply to message #57433] Mon, 09 August 2021 22:08 Go to previous message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Mirek,

And thanks! Now I can clone the git.

I took the new nightly build 16056 and then followed your original instructions. It works well now!

Thanks and best regards,

Tom
Previous Topic: flagDEBUGCODE
Next Topic: gtk rendering improvements, BufferPainter::PaintOnceHint
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:57:16 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01598 seconds