Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » Create shared libs
Create shared libs [message #58021] Wed, 19 January 2022 18:10
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
I've to face again with my "usual" problem of having some packages as shared libs.

The scenario is:

-an existing codebase with LGPL license, so no way to embed it statically
-wish to import the codebase into THEIDE, which btw works with import.ext file. See the reason later on.
-codebase is separated in "toolkits", each of them should be a .so (or .dll) library
-obviously some toolkit may depend on other toolkits

The ideal would be a set of packages that can be used from within my application, just like any UPP package.

The less-than-ideal solution would be to use theide to build the shared modules and then use them with linker/lib flags

The solution I'm using now, which I dislike, is to use the codebase cmake build system, install the libraries manually and use
them from within my application.

I don't like latter because I need to handle the build system separately on each supported platform, take care of DLL naming (they need to be different of "official" ones), check if I'm using the right compiler, install the dependencies system wide, ecc ecc.

I tried "all shared" which should build ALL packages as shared modules but it seems not working, at least on my linux setup.

The best would be a package-level option, like "build as shared lib".
Is it possible to add such an option ?
Previous Topic: Next/Previous Frame keyboard shortcuts
Next Topic: Show assembler code menu option
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:07:32 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01518 seconds