Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » U++: Why Archive Data? (Trying to understand the importance of why U++ archives app related data to store them)
U++: Why Archive Data? [message #58563] Mon, 20 June 2022 17:25
aminhere is currently offline  aminhere
Hi there,

While trying to learn from the source code, I noticed that the framework makes heavy use of compression/ decompression to read and write data.
As far as I had understood, compression provided the advantage of storing data in a more compact manner while still maintaining integrity.
But as I looked more into LZ4 algorithm in general, some sources mentioned that it provides faster read/ write than direct read and write. I am wondering why this is that case, because no matter what, the main data still has to be processed - the compression/ decompression is just another extra step. Even if we consider a basic compression algorithm like Huffman coding, we are still having to examine the original data space either way, so a regular read, for example would do just that. But a compression algorithm would not only have to perform that step, but also then have to process that information further. How could the presence of extra steps yield faster processing given that both a regular IO operation and compression/ decompression operation seem to be performing the initial data space read.
U++ mainly seems to use the zlib library heavily for writing/ retreiving app related resources. Is this done simply to use space efficiently, or for other reasons as well, like the one mentioned above?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Amin
Previous Topic: SVG for tool icon
Next Topic: Is there any way to tell TheIDE to store settings in user's personal directory?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:42:21 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04790 seconds