Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Install problem - Linux Mint (Missing file in the 16782 archive?)
Install problem - Linux Mint [message #59759] Fri, 07 April 2023 12:51 Go to next message
EspressoMan is currently offline  EspressoMan
Promising Member
Hi all,
Just tried to install U++ in Linux Mint /opt directory using the install script.
After the script finished, I got this:

There were errors
Something went wrong.
Please use make to compile theide and/or notify developers.

There were fatal errors at each step but the errors are all the same, suggesting that a file has slipped out of the tarball.
an example is:

1 error generated.
1 error generated.
In file included from /opt/upp/uppsrc/ide/Builders/BuilderUtils.cpp:1:
In file included from /opt/upp/uppsrc/ide/Builders/BuilderUtils.h:4:
/opt/upp/uppsrc/Core/Core.h:53:10: fatal error: 'typeinfo' file not found
#include <typeinfo>
^~~~~~~~~~

Hope a developer sees this post and can remedy the problem for new newbies. Cool
Re: Install problem - Linux Mint [message #59761 is a reply to message #59759] Sun, 09 April 2023 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slade is currently offline  Slade
Promising Member
I have only seen this problem with the latest version of Linux Mint. I do not understand what has gone wrong, but found that applying the following before calling the install script or umk, resolved the problem for me.
I also added them into the include and library path of TheIDE to enable the projects to build.

# Require these include paths for Linux Mint 21.1
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include/c++/11:/usr/include/x86_64-l inux-gnu/c++/11
export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/11
Re: Install problem - Linux Mint [message #59762 is a reply to message #59761] Sun, 09 April 2023 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
@Slade Thank you for your response.
I inserted the directory paths into their appropriate keys. Subsequently, "install" succeeded.

I then loaded "ide" package into theIde and attempted to do the same. I presume that you meant "Setup" -> "Build Methods" as the place to enter the search paths? If that is incorrect, I apologise. I'm totally unfamiliar with U++.

However, I noticed that under the GCC build method, the include and library paths were already setup, presumably by being copied from the recently amended environment vars.

But what struck me as odd is that while the CLANG build method has clang++ as the compiler, the GCC build method has no entry for the compiler - ummm???

Now I'm not sure if U++ under POSIX systems is using gcc, g++ or clang++. Or perhaps its using more than one, depending on what it's compiling?

The ide package is failing to build on my system as is. I attach a screenshot in the hope that some kind reader can shed some light on the problem.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6794&private=0

[Updated on: Sun, 09 April 2023 13:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Install problem - Linux Mint [message #59763 is a reply to message #59762] Mon, 10 April 2023 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slade is currently offline  Slade
Promising Member
> I presume that you meant "Setup" -> "Build Methods" as the place to enter the search paths?
Correct, under tab INCLUDE directories and LIB directories for the CLANG build. I do not have anything in the include / libs directories for GCC build method.

> But what struck me as odd is that while the CLANG build method has clang++ as the compiler, the GCC build method has no entry for the compiler - ummm???
Same for me, however it seems to work. I can select the GCC build for the AddressBook example and it builds and runs.

> Now I'm not sure if U++ under POSIX systems is using gcc, g++ or clang++. Or perhaps its using more than one, depending on what it's compiling?
I believe it uses GCC or CLANG depending on what you pick. I always choose CLANG (from the toolbar).

> The ide package is failing to build on my system as is
I had no issues building the IDE package (#16739). I have the files "/usr/include/c++/11/bits" and "/usr/include/c++/9/bits".
Re: Install problem - Linux Mint [message #59767 is a reply to message #59763] Mon, 10 April 2023 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
SOLVED!

For non-root users, it turns out that the following shell commands (under Linux Mint) do not persist at all.

export CLIB_INCLUDE_PATH=/pppp/qqqq:/rrrr/ssss:/tttt/uuuu
export LIBRARY_PATH=/wwwww/xxxx:/yyyy/zzzz

Try them for yourself, followed by "printenv". They are definitely not "sticky" as advertised.

Even if logged on as root, the above commands are only of session duration. They won't be there after a restart.

The solution:
1) Logon as root and edit /etc/environment
2) Add the key-value pairs above without the export prefix and replacing the dummy paths (see below for Mint 21.1)
3) Save and restart your device

The above should be performed before running theide install.

I cannot know if the problem occurs with other Linux distros but if you have problems installing and/or running theide under your distro, it may be for the same or similar reason.

NB: There appears to be no need to copy the INCLUDE and LIBRARY paths to corresponding tabs under "Setup -> Build methods"
I put the paths as dummies above as they may not be the same under your Linux.
In Linux mint 21.1 vera, the paths are as follows:
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include/c++/11:/usr/include/x86_64-l inux-gnu/c++/11
LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/11

The big irony is that the reason I'm looking into cross platform GUI tools is because I believe that the majority of people who use a computer/device in their everyday business just need/want to get on with that, in the simplest way possible. They have neither the time nor patience to be diverted into learning and remembering a bewildering plethora of case sensitive shell commands, amplified by an often staggering number of switches (optional parameters). So let's give the masses nice Linux based GUI apps that provide an alternative to ...

@Slade, thank you again for your help with this.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 April 2023 09:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Install problem - Linux Mint [message #60115 is a reply to message #59759] Wed, 06 September 2023 10:56 Go to previous message
gokhan is currently offline  gokhan
I installed Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish (x86-64) for refresh installation foru day before.

So, i had "fatal error: 'typeinfo' file not found" message when i installing U++

Than, i searched typeinfo file on system, and there wasn't typeinfo file at /usr/include/c++/12 directory

I saw Tom1's (Senior Contributor)

sudo apt-get install libstdc++-12-dev

I installed, and everythink is ok now.
Previous Topic: OpenBSD install problem - undeclared identifier 'OPENSSL_thread_stop'
Next Topic: Window compile issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:20:51 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02989 seconds