Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Draw, Display, Images, Bitmaps, Icons » Font and Image rendering slow
Font and Image rendering slow [message #59968] Wed, 28 June 2023 17:36 Go to next message
devilsclaw is currently offline  devilsclaw
So I have been porting a app that I created in java to U++.

When I render a image with DrawImage and have 108 instances of it on the screen it is way slower then in java. So I decided to manually draw what the image is with line and rectangle since its a simple image and its performance was on par with java.

The item I am drawing also has text and with the text enable it renders much slower than java also.

So it seems that both the text and image rasterizer are highly inefficient at least compared to java.
Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59969 is a reply to message #59968] Thu, 29 June 2023 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jjacksonRIAB is currently offline  jjacksonRIAB
Experienced Member
Instead of creating 108 copies of the same image did you try just drawing the same image 108 times at different positions? Also did you try caching that Image do it's not re-rendered every call to Paint?
Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59970 is a reply to message #59968] Thu, 29 June 2023 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Currently the image is an element of the the object and is in the paint member of that object, which I currently no longer use the image and just manually draw what the image looks like during the paint which has increase performance greatly. The being said I don't know how to cache an image so that would be useful in the future. so if you could explain how or give an example.

But that does not solve the Font problem since that is different for the 108 items and it has a similar slow down.

If I click and hold on the object it allows me to move it on the screen which of course causes a repaint/refresh and its performance it much lower than the java version.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 June 2023 05:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59971 is a reply to message #59970] Thu, 29 June 2023 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hello devilsclaw

Quote:
Currently the image is an element of the the object and is in the paint member of that object, which I currently no longer use the image and just manually draw what the image looks like during the paint which has increase performance greatly. The being said I don't know how to cache an image so that would be useful in the future. so if you could explain how or give an example.

But that does not solve the Font problem since that is different for the 108 items and it has a similar slow down.

If I click and hold on the object it allows me to move it on the screen which of course causes a repaint/refresh and its performance it much lower than the java version.

Image tutorials (check 6 for image caching)

If you can provide a bare minimum U++ example code (preferably in Java too) that replicates the problem we can look into it.

Also platform/OS/hardware information and specs would be very useful.

Best regards,
Oblivion.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 June 2023 08:10]

Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59977 is a reply to message #59968] Thu, 29 June 2023 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My work computer is old now built somewhere in like 2010.

GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780 3GB
MONITORS: 3x resolution of 1920x1080
RAM: 32Gigs
CPU: i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz
CORE: 6
THREADS: 12

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 most of the time and to test in windows a VM with Windows 10 installed.

I have the java version done. Are you wanting the source code or just the built binary

As for the U++ I will start working on it now.
Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59978 is a reply to message #59977] Thu, 29 June 2023 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Quote:
Are you wanting the source code or just the built binary

Minimal source code for replicating the problem will be sufficient.

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59979 is a reply to message #59968] Thu, 29 June 2023 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The java project is too big to upload here since it has everything except the JRE and JDK to build it.

So here is a link:
http://devilsclaws.net/downloads/javademo.zip

in the fatjar directory there is either the jar file or a window exe.

This is a netbeans project so if you want to compile it with that you can I also have script directories that let you build but you will still need to open it in netbeans at least once on your system so it can get the java pathing correct.

You can scroll with the mouse wheel and shift+scroll does the other scroll axis.

The icons are clipped to only drawing what is visible also but there is like 1089 total there. only about 108 on screen at a time on a 1920x1080 resolution.

I will be working on the U++ version tomorrow.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 June 2023 23:31]

Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59980 is a reply to message #59968] Thu, 29 June 2023 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also you can click and drag the icons around which is where the slow down on U++ vs Java so once I get the U++ version done it will be able to replicate the performance stuff I am talking about.
Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59986 is a reply to message #59968] Sat, 01 July 2023 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is the U++ example

Also The icon is being manually drawn but it can be switch to using the image instead by change the #if 0 to #if 0 in icon_t.h in function icon_paint_icon

This demo also clips and only draws what it visible on screen so making the window lager will draw more and impact the performance more. The default size does not show much difference on my system but when I maximize the window it then shows for me.

there is also a render_everything flag in the frm_main.h which if set to true will even render off screen if needed to see the effect. same with the java version
  • Attachment: upp_demo.zip
    (Size: 11.76KB, Downloaded 35 times)
Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59987 is a reply to message #59986] Sat, 01 July 2023 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Thanks for the code.
Yesterday I have looked into the Java code and it seems fine and works well.

A quick tour through its U++ counterpart (I will dive deep, later), and here's some "odd" things (for U++ land, of course) I've seen so far (All understandable, as Upp can sometimes look alien even to regular C++ developers):

1) You seem to have duplicated code that is already in Upp: (Rectf, Sizef, Pointf, their operators, etc.)
2) Mixing std::string with Upp code: Not inherently bad, it is possible and sometimes necessary but Upp::String is more optimized and has a lot of optimized functionality you can utilize. Rule of thumb: Use Upp::String with Upp infrastructure whenever possible. Convert to Std only for glue code.

3) You are using BufferPainter, which is a pdf/print quality (subpixel) 2d graphics library for U++. It is great for a lot of things, but it is also very CPU-intesinve.It does not (AFAIK) utilize GPU's 2D hardware acceleration. But it can take advantage of multithreading. Try the below code, and you'll see the difference:

4) (post-post:) You also seem to use iterators a lot. Avoid them where possible. Upp's containers are designed to work with indices. In a wide range of use-cases they are lot faster & easier to use.

void frm_main::Paint(Draw& w) {
  Size sz = GetSize();
  ImageBuffer ib(scroll.GetViewSize());
  BufferPainter sw(ib, MODE_ANTIALIASED);

sw.Co(); // Enable MT.
  sw.Clear(White());
  _icons_paint(sw, scroll.Get().x, scroll.Get().y, render_everything);
  sw.Finish(); // Join.

w.DrawImage(0, 0, ib);
}

Now, of course the above code doesn't really fix the problem.
I am going study your code and try to come up with a diagnosis at least.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Sat, 01 July 2023 21:43]

Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59988 is a reply to message #59968] Sat, 01 July 2023 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The replicated code is actually to make the code work more like java and I also have a hard time with cx and cy as width and height.

I also have more standard C++ code in the project then U++ since I am only using U++ for the UI elements.

I will look to see where the code only needs U++ and where C++ STD is needed and try to optimize it.

One of the reasons I used that Draw function is due to sub-pixel bleeding looking bad in integer based drawing. So I use sub pixels to make it look clean.

indices I think I might do that for code standardization to make the code work similar in all areas and maybe for deleting or its just me being used to C++ STD since it does not make it easy to delete element with out iterators. I will look to see what I can do to clean that up.

I will try you example today. Thanks.

[Updated on: Sat, 01 July 2023 21:52]

Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59989 is a reply to message #59968] Sat, 01 July 2023 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The multi threading did make a difference still not on par with java but about a 2x increase from the feel of it.
Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59990 is a reply to message #59968] Sat, 01 July 2023 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the past when I was dealing with some other graphics issues I believe I saw that that font is rendered with a bunch of little lines that could make up lets just say 100 per letter. One of the things I was thinking I could due is pre render all the letters and then hold them in an array with the character as the index. this would prevent the need to fully render each letter every time it draws.
Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59991 is a reply to message #59968] Sat, 01 July 2023 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
I've just made some simple modifications to the code (to give you an idea. Please check the attached code.

I used Draw, directly. and didn't bother fixing the rectangles part. But you can also draw the whole "sprite" (icon) into a image, then add text to it and then blit it to the draw, you'll likely get the same result.

Best regards,
Oblivion
  • Attachment: upp_demo.zip
    (Size: 12.22KB, Downloaded 37 times)

[Updated on: Sat, 01 July 2023 23:31]

Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59992 is a reply to message #59968] Mon, 03 July 2023 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You mentioned blitting but I am not sure how to blit in U++ there does not seem to be a specific function to blit so I was wonder how one might do it.

Thanks

EDIT: fixed weirdness in the statement

[Updated on: Mon, 03 July 2023 17:32]

Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59993 is a reply to message #59968] Mon, 03 July 2023 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The code example you gave me definitely was a big help. I also notice that this version of Draw seems to write to the sub pixel position so that the lines always look clean which is awesome.

I had to rewrite the rectangle code to use lines and then fill. I also had to add in the ability to do dashed outline rectangles.

Now everything is nearly on par with java. mouse movement seem that same but the number of trailing icons which moving the icon around is about half as much which seems like refresh rate.

Just going to say that is good enough for what I need. I think I might add a FPS counter just do I can see if there is any diff in that relation or something else. just to see.
Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59994 is a reply to message #59993] Mon, 03 July 2023 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Happy to help. Smile

By the way, your drawing code can be easily further optimized. For one, I've noticed that you are refreshing the whole "scene".
Instead, you narrow down the refreshed areat to the dirty parts. There is an Draw::IsPainting method for that. Check that out.
Also, Draw::DrawLine function can draw dashes and dots (it accepts certain patterns. You can use it to draw the rects.

If you need more help, I'll be around.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Mon, 03 July 2023 20:48]

Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59995 is a reply to message #59968] Mon, 03 July 2023 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think what I am seeing is the mouse polling right vs java.

In java I will see up to 113 fps when dragging an icon around but in U++ is caps at 27.

But what is interesting is that if I make the window expand to my three screens it stays about the same where java drops from a max of 113 to 67.

I could be wrong about the pulling rate not sure.

So how would I use the IsPainting is there a good example somewhere ?

Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59996 is a reply to message #59968] Mon, 03 July 2023 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope it is actual FPS.

I am currently having in both java and U++ do a refresh/repaint at the end of the paint code so I can track the FPS and AVG FPS and java is in the 120fps range and the U++ is 25.

So I definitively should find a way to optimize this.
Re: Font and Image rendering slow [message #59997 is a reply to message #59968] Mon, 03 July 2023 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
With a quick test of drawing nothing except the counter the max I get is 61 FPS. There seems to be a fps cap somewhere also.
Previous Topic: Mouse Interaction with UI causes Paint to not function
Next Topic: Option Label on Left Side draw
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:03:27 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01596 seconds