SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » 2023.2
2023.2 [message #60230] Tue, 24 October 2023 11:17 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I consider now 2023.2 released...

https://sourceforge.net/p/upp/news/2023/10/u-20232/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/upp/files/upp/2023.2/

Re: 2023.2 [message #60231 is a reply to message #60230] Tue, 24 October 2023 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Thanks again for your hard work!

Best regards,

Tom
icon14.gif  Re: 2023.2 [message #60233 is a reply to message #60230] Tue, 24 October 2023 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jjacksonRIAB is currently offline  jjacksonRIAB
Experienced Member
Great job and thank you, Mirek.
Re: 2023.2 [message #60235 is a reply to message #60230] Tue, 24 October 2023 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
Thank you, Mirek!
Re: 2023.2 [message #60236 is a reply to message #60230] Wed, 25 October 2023 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Thank you Mirek and good job! As previously in addition ot SourceForge release I created release on GitHub:
- https://github.com/ultimatepp/ultimatepp/releases/tag/2023.2

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 October 2023 00:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 2023.2 [message #60237 is a reply to message #60236] Wed, 25 October 2023 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BetoValle is currently offline  BetoValle
Experienced Member
Hi,

https:// www.ultimatepp.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=12133&s tart=0&

I don't know what your criteria is for previously reported bugs. I just noticed that the above occurrence continues.

Despite the visual flag being presented as an error, all routines involving the projects I compiled did not have problems with this current version.

Thanks!
Re: 2023.2 [message #60238 is a reply to message #60236] Wed, 25 October 2023 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Wed, 25 October 2023 00:00
Thank you Mirek and good job! As previously in addition ot SourceForge release I created release on GitHub:
- https://github.com/ultimatepp/ultimatepp/releases/tag/2023.2

Thank you!

Mirek
Re: 2023.2 [message #60294 is a reply to message #60230] Tue, 14 November 2023 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

One of my application windows lost context menu (and timer) with U++ 2023.2. I was able to track the breakdown to U++ git commit 608b204.

Here are the details:

In one of my windows (in a multi window app) deeper in the hierarchy MenuBar::Execute(THISBACK(ContextMenu)) runs a context menu once, but refuses to start again until I have closed and reopened that window again. It gets stuck in Win32Wnd.cpp in the while loop:
bool Ctrl::ProcessEvents(bool *quit)
{
	ASSERT_(IsMainThread(), "ProcessEvents can only run in the main thread");
	if(ProcessEvent(quit)) {
		while(ProcessEvent(quit) && (!LoopCtrl || LoopCtrl->InLoop())); // LoopCtrl-MF 071008
		SweepMkImageCache();
		return true;
	}
	SweepMkImageCache();
	return false;
}

It seems that "LoopCtrl->InLoop()" never returns false, even after closing the popup menu. I tried to follow deeper, but my ability to understand CtrlCore proved insufficient.

Another, related issue is with TimeCallback that does not work at all in that same window either. Not even before using the context menu.

Unfortunately, this is a very complex program and I have not yet been able to build a separate test case to demonstrate the issue. Simple test cases do not reproduce this issue.

Best regards,

Tom
Re: 2023.2 [message #60295 is a reply to message #60294] Tue, 14 November 2023 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Tue, 14 November 2023 15:30

Another, related issue is with TimeCallback that does not work at all in that same window either. Not even before using the context menu.

Unfortunately, this is a very complex program and I have not yet been able to build a separate test case to demonstrate the issue. Simple test cases do not reproduce this issue.

MenuBar is doing some things through callbacks, so I think if we can make timer work for that window, it might fix the menu as well.

Anything special about TimeCallback or window? Can you paste TimeCallback related source snippets from the app?

Mirek
Re: 2023.2 [message #60296 is a reply to message #60295] Tue, 14 November 2023 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Mirek,

I removed the TimeCallback timer entirely to test, but it does not have any effect to the MenuBar issue...

But yes, this was there:
class MyWindow : public WithMyWindowLayout<TopWindow> {
	StatusBar				status;
	TimeCallback			timer;
	String				remotely_updated_string;

void refreshStatus(){	// timer runs this at 100 ms intervals
		if(!IsForeground()) return;
		status = remotely_updated_string;
	}

MyWindow(){
		timer.Set(-100,[&](){ refreshStatus(); });
	}

~MyWindow(){
		timer.Kill();
	}

}

};

Best regards,

Tom
Re: 2023.2 [message #60297 is a reply to message #60296] Tue, 14 November 2023 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
And more. MyWindow is constructed with new. I:
	MyWindow *mywindow;
	mywindow=new MyWindow(&mywindow);
	mywindow->OpenMain();

At a GUI_APP_MAIN my main window is started like this:
		One<MyMainWindow> mainwindow;
		mainwindow.Create();
		mainwindow->OpenMain();

if(cmd.GetCount()) mainwindow->OpenFile(cmd[0]);
		Ctrl::EventLoop();

// Tom
Re: 2023.2 [message #60298 is a reply to message #60296] Tue, 14 November 2023 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Just quick note first:

~MyWindow(){
		timer.Kill();
	}

Not necessarry - TimerCallback destructor "kills itself". And no timer event can happen during destruction process.

Anyway, try

void refreshStatus(){	// timer runs this at 100 ms intervals
DDUMP(IsForeground());
		if(!IsForeground()) return;
		status = remotely_updated_string;
	}

[Updated on: Tue, 14 November 2023 17:17]

Re: 2023.2 [message #60299 is a reply to message #60298] Tue, 14 November 2023 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

RDUMP/DDUMP does not print anything to log, so we're not getting any timer events at all here.

BTW: My app uses a whole lot of timers all around to do all kinds of background update tasks. Could this contribute to the problem?

Also, thanks for the tip: I can clean off the timer.Kill();s then.

BR, Tom

Re: 2023.2 [message #60303 is a reply to message #60299] Tue, 14 November 2023 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
timer.Set(-100,[&](){ refreshStatus(); });

[&] is unusual here (and pretty error prone with timer). Normal is

timer.Set(-100, [=] { refreshStatus(); });

Now I do not frankly see a reason why [&] should not work in this very case, but can you try [=] anyway?

Also, make sure that all other timer (and GUI in general) lambdas are with [=]....

You should only use [&] if you are sure that lambda is invoked immediately (e.g. with CoDo).

Mirek

[Updated on: Tue, 14 November 2023 23:49]

Re: 2023.2 [message #60304 is a reply to message #60303] Wed, 15 November 2023 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hi Mirek

These sentences are very interesting.
Quote:
Also, make sure that all other timer (and GUI in general) lambdas are with [=]....
You should only use [&] if you are sure that lambda is invoked immediately (e.g. with CoDo).

I almost understand why you say that but, for didactic reasons, could you explain why to include capture by value rather than by reference. Apparently, by reference is more efficient and every time the lambda function is called, it finds the classes in their current state, not in the initial state.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: 2023.2 [message #60305 is a reply to message #60304] Wed, 15 November 2023 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Wed, 15 November 2023 08:38
Hi Mirek

Quote:

I almost understand why you say that but, for didactic reasons, could you explain why to include capture by value rather than by reference.

struct MyApp ... {
   Button btn;
   String a;
};

void MyApp::MyApp()
{
    String b;
    btn << [&] { a = b; };
}

This creates a dangling reference to b. In fact, if the lambda execution is not 'immediate' (before next statement basically), in most of GUI cases it makes only sense to work with member variables (e.g. 'a' in this case). But then, [=] in fact captures 'this' and that is likely MORE efficient than capturing all member variables individually.

Note that capturing this by [=] was deemed confusing by C++ comitee and they tried to improve on it with [=, this], unfortunately currently it is hard to make code compatible both ways.

Mirek

[Updated on: Wed, 15 November 2023 11:04]

Re: 2023.2 [message #60308 is a reply to message #60303] Wed, 15 November 2023 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

It does not make difference if I use [=] here. However, I would not dare to point to local temporary variables with timer anyway. Instead, my timer sets are mostly of type
timer.Set(THISBACK(UpdateRoutine));
In that case the reference is all about using 'this'.

INTERESTINGLY: The entire timer system freezes when I open the secondary window. Ctrl::TimerProc() does not get called at all until I close that secondary window.

UPDATE: While the secondary window is open, there is not a single WM_TIMER coming into Ctrl::UtilityProc(). The execution of thread is not frozen within TimerProc() though. Windows is just no longer sending WM_TIMER messages in.

Best regards,

Tom

[Updated on: Wed, 15 November 2023 11:34]

Re: 2023.2 [message #60309 is a reply to message #60308] Wed, 15 November 2023 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Wed, 15 November 2023 11:14
Hi,

It does not make difference if I use [=] here. However, I would not dare to point to local temporary variables with timer anyway. Instead, my timer sets are mostly of type
timer.Set(THISBACK(UpdateRoutine));
In that case the reference is all about using 'this'.

INTERESTINGLY: The entire timer system freezes when I open the secondary window. Ctrl::TimerProc() does not get called at all until I close that secondary window.

UPDATE: While the secondary window is open, there is not a single WM_TIMER coming into Ctrl::UtilityProc(). The execution of thread is not frozen within TimerProc() though. Windows is just no longer sending WM_TIMER messages in.

Best regards,

Tom

Without seeing the whole logic of your app: Timer only runs when GUI is "idle". Any chance the secondory window is doing something like processing events itself?
Re: 2023.2 [message #60310 is a reply to message #60309] Wed, 15 November 2023 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Mirek,

I found a solution:
	virtual void Paint(Draw& draw){

// scaleview->Refresh();
	}

I have a 'scaleview' control under the window. The window's Paint() calls scaleview->Refresh(); After this the timer is frozen until the window is closed. Removing this call to Refresh() makes everything work again.

The funny thing (if any in this case) is that this code is about 10-15 years old and has worked without any problem until now. (The scaleview gets painted anyway automatically, so this call was probably just causing some recursive feeding of more paint requests. So, I'm glad its gone now. Strange thing is that it was not visible on CPU loading...)

Anyway, Mirek, thanks for your help on this issue.

Best regards,

Tom
Re: 2023.2 [message #60311 is a reply to message #60305] Thu, 16 November 2023 13:03 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
mirek wrote on Wed, 15 November 2023 10:41
koldo wrote on Wed, 15 November 2023 08:38
Hi Mirek

Quote:

I almost understand why you say that but, for didactic reasons, could you explain why to include capture by value rather than by reference.

struct MyApp ... {
   Button btn;
   String a;
};

void MyApp::MyApp()
{
    String b;
    btn << [&] { a = b; };
}

This creates a dangling reference to b. In fact, if the lambda execution is not 'immediate' (before next statement basically), in most of GUI cases it makes only sense to work with member variables (e.g. 'a' in this case). But then, [=] in fact captures 'this' and that is likely MORE efficient than capturing all member variables individually.

Note that capturing this by [=] was deemed confusing by C++ comittee and they tried to improve on it with [=, this], unfortunately currently it is hard to make code compatible both ways.

Mirek

Thank you Mirek for answering this off-topic question.
Additional information about this can be found here.
I didn't know this:Quote:
[=] in fact captures 'this'

In summary, especially in classes, when we sometimes put a [&], we should really have to put [this], and in some cases a [=].

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: Ide: branch now displayed in editor bar
Next Topic: TheIDE and U++ have been released on Flathub
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 04:06:53 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07568 seconds