Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » General questions about theIDE (New user - first impressions / queries)
General questions about theIDE [message #60331] Sun, 10 December 2023 14:18 Go to next message
EspressoMan is currently offline  EspressoMan
Promising Member
Context: My background is developing for Windows using mainly Embarcadero RAD tools (Delphi). I have been out of the development loop for some years and now I'm semi-retired. I abandoned Windows some time ago and now use Linux Mint and hopefully U++ to develop GUI apps which interest me. I've been through the tutorial section to get the general idea of the framework and now I'm starting on my first app.

Right now I have a couple of (hopefully) very simple and possibly naive questions that I hope some kind reader can answer.

1) On startup - theIDE is automatically opening in 'full screen' (maximised) mode. Can I stop this happening? it's very annoying.
2) Unlike other products, theIDE has no (obvious) facility to close a project per se. I know I can begin a new 'package' but would prefer to have the option to close the previous one and remove it from theIDE to avoid 'clutter'.
3) Is it possible to execute the Layout designer on it's own? It seems that the toolbar switch wants to have a layout file already in existence. I guess it's one of those chicken and egg things but it could be that I just don't understand the process.
Re: General questions about theIDE [message #60333 is a reply to message #60331] Sun, 10 December 2023 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello ExpressonMan,

I am very happy that you decided to write message and give U++ a chance! In the context of your question:
1) Maximize on startup is hard-coded. We might consider changing this behavior in the future or adding separate option in TheIDE settings. I agree that for example on ultra wide monitors it might not be very comfortable solution. For smaller screens it is fine. For ultra wide monitors you will need always need to alter TheIDE window size after maximization. So, thanks for spotting this and raising the issue.

The line responsible for this action is (ide/main.cpp - line 352):
		Ide ide;
		ide.Maximize(); // You can comment this line of code and rebuild TheIDE. Please keep in mind that you have all the sources and you can modify TheIDE as you wish.

2) Yes, that's true. Once you open the package there is no way to back to the initial state (package selector window only). However, it is not a problem. Just open another main package via "File -> Open main package.." (CTRL+M). I agree that isolation between projects might be better especially when you are using TabBar. However, this is not big problem and I didn't have any troubles related to this.

3)There is no separate layout designer executable or standalone mode within TheIDE. Layout designer is integrated part of TheIDE. To use it, you just need to create .lay file and then open it. That's all. You can not open Layout designer without opening .lay file.

Please let me know, if everything is clear to you. I am here to help. We value our new users.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Sun, 10 December 2023 22:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: General questions about theIDE [message #60335 is a reply to message #60333] Mon, 11 December 2023 01:36 Go to previous message
EspressoMan is currently offline  EspressoMan
Promising Member
Klugier - Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply.

Regarding the current default startup state of TheIDE - I did look in the settings before asking. As the saying goes "...you can't please all of the people all of the time..." Smile There is room on the settings dialog to add another checkbox so that might be the best solution. Users can choose what they prefer.

While checking the settings tab, I noticed the option to: [] "Open main package" - creates the new theIDE instead of just changing main package
I'll try that to see if it satisfies my preference for minimizing clutter.

Searching the site, I found a video tutorial that despite poor audio, has been some help in clarifying my "beginners confusion". Maybe in a few months time, I might be inclined to attempt writing "U++ for dummies" Smile Although that may sound like a joke, I can tell you that I spent some time hunting around and experimenting with both Glade and GTK before I found any mention of U++ in search engine responses. This may have changed since but I think promoting U++ LOUDLY might lead to an increased user base, especially in the escalating "non-Windows" community.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 December 2023 01:38]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Tutorial update(s)
Next Topic: Linking to external library
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:48:07 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02370 seconds