Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Linking to external library (Static versus Dynamic linkage?)
Linking to external library [message #60338] Sun, 17 December 2023 13:40 Go to next message
EspressoMan is currently offline  EspressoMan
Promising Member
I've spent a fair bit of the weekend trying to figure out why I was getting continual linking error with my external library. I finally got it resolved after going down numerous rabbit holes trying to discover the correct combination of compiler, debug and linker switches with LLVM, all to little or no avail.
Then I searched the forum and found that someone else had chanced upon the solution just over 6 years ago.

https://www.ultimatepp.org/forums/index.php?t=tree&th=10 140&.html

Now I'm not saying there is a bug per se, but there is certainly much confusion surrounding this topic, especially for newbies. I could be wrong but I get the feeling that it's not a popular topic, possibly due to the vast number of rabbit holes that could ensue. A Pandoras box of headaches Shocked . So I removed my library from the "Static Libraries" section of the Package Organizer and reinserted it as a plain vanilla library, whatever that means. Et voila, it worked instantly. My question is: How is my library linked to my U++ project - Statically or Dynamically?

https://www.ultimatepp.org/app$ide$Guide_en-us.html

[Updated on: Sun, 17 December 2023 13:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Linking to external library [message #60340 is a reply to message #60338] Mon, 18 December 2023 03:44 Go to previous message
EspressoMan is currently offline  EspressoMan
Promising Member
index.php?t=getfile&id=6873&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=6872&private=0

But wait there's more... Smile

During the massive time waste floundering around trying to get my library linked, I vaguely recall unchecking "Blitz" in the default debug section of the "Build methods" setting. It didn't fix my linking problem so I subsequently checked it on again and rebuilt. However, it now looks like something is preventing "Blitz" from re-activating. The UPP output directory and Source directory is being created with "NoBlitz" in the name. I also notice during building that the parsing of each package has "NoBlitz" in the console output. It looks like I have broken something and would like to put it right but I don't know how... Any help with this would be much appreciated. See attached pic to see what I mean...

[Updated on: Mon, 18 December 2023 05:22]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: General questions about theIDE
Next Topic: Relative path in library(WIN32)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:40:11 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02546 seconds