Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework (End 2023 first U++ book will be published on Amazon)
Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60013] Sun, 09 July 2023 14:12 Go to next message
frederik.dumarey is currently offline  frederik.dumarey
Promising Member
Hello,

Just to mention all of you that I'm currently writing a book about the U++ Framework.

It handles:

the web site,
    the installation,
    a full TheIDE coverage with all functions (also the layout and icon designers),
    CtrlCore, CtrlLib, SQL, Turtle and Skylark detailed explanations based mostly upon existing examples,
    some How to snippets for specific features (ZIP, SMTP, POP3, custom widgets, Lexical Parsing, ...),
    reference guides for U++, C++20, SQL.

As we speak I'm reviewing the first part of the book (corrections and layout), it is A4 and counting 260 pages so far. I hope to have the manuscript ready and reviewed by the End of 2023. It will then be published on Amazon using Kindle services.

The main goal is to attract new people to use this beautiful framework, this should be easy, no? Cool

The only thing I'm still struggling with is the price. Please send me some ranges, what would you like to pay for such a book?

Thanks for any feedback,
Frederik.

Regards,

Frederik Dumarey
Belgium
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60015 is a reply to message #60013] Mon, 10 July 2023 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member

What should the U++ book cost?[ 7 votes ]
1. 10€ - 20€ 4 / 57%
2. 20€ - 30€ 3 / 43%
3. 30€ - 40€ 0 / 0%

I added a poll, I would love your input!

Regards,

Frederik Dumarey
Belgium
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60022 is a reply to message #60015] Mon, 10 July 2023 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Frederik,

It would be good to have a book about U++ framework. I wish you good luck in your journey of writing the first one. I would personally see the chapter about U++ history. The framework exists for almost 20 years, and there are a lot of things to tell. In the past, I wrote master thesis about Android Builder and I wrote a chapter about U+++ history. I based it on questions I asked to Mirek on Skype. Also, if you could mentioned somewhere in the book me, I would be grateful. Also, you can send the book to review. I will probably do not find a time for reading everything, but I will definitely find a time to look at some parts.

Also, we will be grateful if you could help with our documentation. The contribution in this area is easy, you can modify .tpp file from TheIDE level and provide changes via pull request on GitHub. Simple and powerful. Also, if your contribution will be valuable, you will be present in credits section of TheIDE. It is certainly something to be proud of Smile

Few guidelines on my side:
- Use Ultimate++ only in historical context, for all other cases use U++. We need to make sure that new branding is in place.
- In case of prices, please make sure that the price will vary basing on region. There are some countries that are rich and they are countries that are not so rich. People in countries that are not so rich should be able to buy your book. So, I assume that the price 10 € or even less is more accurate in such cases.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60079 is a reply to message #60022] Tue, 08 August 2023 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BetoValle is currently offline  BetoValle
Experienced Member
Hi,
good tip about evaluating price by country. For example in my , Brazil, it would be in the range of 20€ - 30€
and I believe that for each chapter, you should put 1 "basic" reference link on "what it is intended for" said library, precisely so that the reader feels welcomed. Note that the U++ ide is not for every user. I believe you can build a bridge by taking the reader's side to reach your goal.
U++ is an excellent ide, open source and has its strong point focused on Desktop, Web development. For those who have a company and want to get rid of expensive ide's like Delphi, Visual Studio is an excellent solution.

Very good initiative and good work!

"If you want to meet someone, study!"

Tks!
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60080 is a reply to message #60079] Tue, 08 August 2023 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Thanks for your feedback guys!
Meanwhile I'm on schedule, the book should be ready for X-mas Razz

- First review and corrections have been made;
- Adding some extra examples CtrlLib GUI;
- counting 289 A4 pages so far.

I'll keep you posted, certainly when the book is published.
In the attachment, you should see the draft cover and back page.

Regards,

Frederik Dumarey
Belgium
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60081 is a reply to message #60080] Tue, 08 August 2023 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi,

if you haven't closed the cover of the book yet,
instead of the dark shadow between the buildings, I would consider the reflection of a sunlight, to identify an invigorating energy!
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60082 is a reply to message #60081] Wed, 09 August 2023 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Something like this ? Smile

Regards,

Frederik Dumarey
Belgium
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60083 is a reply to message #60082] Wed, 09 August 2023 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
that's it!
I think a golden yellow background is better intuited because
the meaning of the color yellow radiates and brings life, creativity, ideas, joy!
icon7.gif  Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60332 is a reply to message #60013] Sun, 10 December 2023 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Good news: the book is in final proof version!
It will be uploaded to Amazon Kindle Publishing Services on 15/12/2023 Razz

Special thanks to Mirek & Klugier & Bart for their support.
In the next post, I'll put the link to the book.

Regards,

Frederik Dumarey
Belgium
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60334 is a reply to message #60332] Sun, 10 December 2023 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hell Frederik,

Good job with the book! You have done a titanic job. I hope readers will be as pleased as I was when reading the preliminary version for review purpose. I can not wait when it will be present on Amazon!

Klugier

Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60336 is a reply to message #60332] Mon, 11 December 2023 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
What good news, I am very happy.

We already have a Christmas present!

Best regards
Iñaki
icon1.gif  Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60341 is a reply to message #60013] Mon, 18 December 2023 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member

Good news: the book has been published:
Razz

https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B0CQHX84VZ?ref_=pe_93986420_7749575 20

It was published on Amazon Holland first, but will be available worldwide on Amazon in the upcoming days!

Regards,

Frederik Dumarey
Belgium
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60342 is a reply to message #60341] Mon, 18 December 2023 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Very good!
A good gift for Christmas and increase development purposes for the years to come!
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60343 is a reply to message #60013] Mon, 18 December 2023 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
The version that exists today is a paperback version.
If there is any interest in a hardcover or kindle version, please let me know.
I could make this too.

Regards,

Frederik Dumarey
Belgium
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60397 is a reply to message #60343] Sat, 30 December 2023 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EspressoMan is currently offline  EspressoMan
Promising Member
I placed my order today. Hopefully it will arrive in NZ in mid January. I look forward to reading it and hope it will speed up my assimilation to U++.

IMHO, I can tell that the current U++ documentation has taken a lot of work by many people and they have done a good job. However, from the perspective of a recent new user, I'm finding the presentation and organization of the documentation is outdated and could do with a makeover. I cannot know the attrition rate of would be converts to U++, but I know plenty of people who would simply throw their hands in the air in frustration and go the QT way. If we want to attract and retain new users, it must be made less time consuming than hunting through the current set of docs and forum posts, often with no beneficial result.

Well done on publication of your book.
Cheers!
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60398 is a reply to message #60397] Sat, 30 December 2023 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hello EspressoMan,

Quote:
I cannot know the attrition rate of would be converts to U++, but I know plenty of people who would simply throw their hands in the air in frustration and go the QT way. If we want to attract and retain new users, it must be made less time consuming than hunting through the current set of docs and forum posts, often with no beneficial result.

That's exactly what I wanted to achieve with the Getting Started book Razz
I can tell you meanwhile that the first copies have been distributed, so just a little more patience...

I'm curious to know if you like(d) the book, give me a public or private message if you want!

Thanks for buying the book, and have a great time reading it!
Happy 2024.

Regards,

Frederik Dumarey
Belgium
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60399 is a reply to message #60397] Sat, 30 December 2023 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello EspressoMan,

Thank you for your feedback in the context of documentation! I decided to improve our documentation site a little bit to accelerate navigation by adding a table of contents and adding numeration to the headers. Now, it should be much easier to find the documentation for the package of interest. Here is the updated documentation website from the development build:
index.php?t=getfile&id=6878&private=0

The changes related to the website will be available tomorrow. Please let me know what you think about these changes and if they improve your experience. Also, if you have any valuable feedback, please share it with us. We have limited resources, but maybe there is something we can do.

So, my question to you is:
- How can we improve the experience of early adopters? What exactly is missing, or what is difficult to do?
- What are your recommendations? Any ideas or mockups are welcome.

--------
For your remarks about QT, please noticed that they have several permanent employees that only work on documentation. Competing with the is out of scope now. However, we can catch up with the help of the community. Please keep in mind that contribution to documentation is easy. Just modify .tpp file and create PR to our main repository.

Klugier

[Updated on: Sun, 31 December 2023 10:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60411 is a reply to message #60399] Fri, 05 January 2024 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EspressoMan is currently offline  EspressoMan
Promising Member
Hi Klugier - PM sent...
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60431 is a reply to message #60013] Thu, 11 January 2024 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Jojojo!

As I have been a good boy this year, look what the Three Wise Men have brought me.
In the next few days I will read it and I will comment on it.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6889&private=0

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Book: Getting started with the U++ Framework [message #60435 is a reply to message #60431] Fri, 12 January 2024 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Senior Veteran
Hi all

Reading the book has made me realise how comprehensive U++ is.
The book is full of information, and serves as a good introduction to U++ for a basic C++ programmer. If you have colleagues who want to start with U++, I recommend it.
Even if you are experts, I think it is interesting because it gives you an up-to-date overview.
A great work, with many hours of work behind, with a lot of information (it's not a pocket book, it's a big book!), but with a lot of pictures that make it easier to understand.
I would buy it if I were you, it's not a lot of money for the help it can give you.

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: 2nd price!
Next Topic: About creating topics and contents...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:59:24 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04374 seconds