Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » OS Problems etc., Win32, POSIX, MacOS, FreeBSD, X11 etc » Use TheIDE on Windows Subsystem for Linux v2 (You can run TheIDE POSIX version on WSL2)
Use TheIDE on Windows Subsystem for Linux v2 [message #60448] Mon, 05 February 2024 22:50 Go to next message
frederik.dumarey is currently offline  frederik.dumarey
Promising Member
Hello,

Just in case you were wondering: yes you can install TheIDE on WSLv2 with X11 support, so running a X11 window next to regular Windows forms.
I took a screenshot in attachment just in case you asked yourself how it looks like Smile
I like it a lot, no need to install a second OS, very easy sharing of files between Windows & Linux subsystem, etc...

Here's how to (summarized), if you have problems let me know, I can try to help you out:
- install wsl2 on Windows 11 (wsl--install), this will enable the mini virtual machine manager, and install ubuntu as default distribution
- install flatpak, you can find detailed instructions here: https://flathub.org/setup/Ubuntu
- shutdown wsl: wsl -- shutdown
- restart wsl: wsl -- user [your_user_name] -> you need to provide the user name in order to make X11 work properly (and not making garbage on the screen)
- install TheIDE: flatpak install flathub org.ultimatepp.TheIDE
- run TheIDE: flatpak run org.ultimatepp.TheIDE

here in my case, the terminal did not want to install the extra libraries, so I did it manually in a separate terminal window: check the terminal window in order to copy/paste the apt-get install libraries you need.

After installation, just say "y" to continue, and happy you: TheIDE POSIX version is running on Windows next to your other Windows applications.

I did some simple tests, cli and gui, and all compiled well, and ran fantastically Razz

Regards,

Frederik Dumarey
Belgium
Re: Use TheIDE on Windows Subsystem for Linux v2 [message #60449 is a reply to message #60448] Tue, 06 February 2024 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hi Frederik

About the WSL install, I have the doubt around how to install openGL to run the U++ example.
What is the option with better performance in WSL?

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Use TheIDE on Windows Subsystem for Linux v2 [message #60450 is a reply to message #60449] Tue, 06 February 2024 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hey Koldo,

Didn't try this one yet Confused .
I tried some things out, and what is happening?
I can load the OpenGL example, but when compiling it is missing the GL Utilities (glu header files).

This could be quickly solved by installing them using:
sudo apt install libglu1-mesa-dev freeglut3-dev

I think the OpenGL client will use the GLX (X11 extensions for OpenGL), so this should work technically without any problem.
Other than that, while I tried to run the application, I get a console error:

/home/administrator/.cache/upp.out/reference/CLANG.Debug.Deb ug_Full.Gui.Shared/OpenGL: error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I thought the libglu1-mesa library would solve this issue, but I'm stuck here.

Who can help us out?

Regards,

Frederik Dumarey
Belgium
Re: Use TheIDE on Windows Subsystem for Linux v2 [message #60451 is a reply to message #60449] Tue, 06 February 2024 21:05 Go to previous message
Promising Member
Hello again Koldo,

Sorry, didn't answer your first question.
There's no OpenGL library debate since the flathub package of TheIDE already includes the mesa OpenGL libraries.
As stated in my previous post, there are however some things to finetune (at least on the WSL2 Ubuntu distro).

I'll let you know when it works, and how to make it work Smile !

Regards,

Frederik Dumarey
Belgium
Previous Topic: Linux embedded development without X11/GTK dependencies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:26:45 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 2.99119 seconds