FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » C++ and HTML+Javascript
C++ and HTML+Javascript [message #60531] Tue, 02 April 2024 17:30 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I found this software https://saucer.github.io/
that looks very interesting. It combine C++ with a GUI created in HTMLS, CSS and Javascript.
Unfortunately I was not able to setup it and give it a try.

I wonder if some U++ user has already tried with success a similar approach to combine the backend in C++ with the frontend in HTML5?

Thanks,
Luigi
Re: C++ and HTML+Javascript [message #60532 is a reply to message #60531] Wed, 03 April 2024 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
Hi Luigi,

our invoicing app's website works in a similar way.

The backend is U++ (HTTP, JSON), the frontend is vanilla Javascript + Bootstrap CSS + HTML.

My next project will be the JS frontend for the invoicing app.
The U++ backend is in production already. The desktop app uses it currently as an HTTPS client.
Much faster and more scalable than using an open PostgreSQL port.

U++ is absolute usable for this type of development.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 April 2024 04:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: C++ and HTML+Javascript [message #60533 is a reply to message #60532] Wed, 03 April 2024 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hi Zsolt,

very interesting!
Is it based on skylark? The gui and U++ comunicate via HTTP?

Luigi

[Updated on: Wed, 03 April 2024 08:18]

Re: C++ and HTML+Javascript [message #60534 is a reply to message #60533] Wed, 03 April 2024 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hi Luigi,

it is not skylark.

It is a very simple single process multi threaded server.

It binds to a port, starts a fixed number of threads to serve the incoming requests and parses headers with HttpHeader class.
After that it finds out the endpoint from the URL.

There is a macro generated map with the registered endpoints and based on them, it calls a macro generated function, that parses the HTTP body into the struct, that is the argument of that specific endpoint method.
After that it calls that method within a server class with the deserialized argument.
I use Jsonize here.
Then the method does whatever it wants and returns an other struct.
Then the macro generated code serializes it to JSON and sends it back to the client.

So yes, the U++ client communicates with this remote U++ (HTTP + JSON) server.

On client side, the code is just calling the same methods with the jsonizeable structs and a macro generated code does the rest.

The invoicing software can also run with a local sqlite or postgresql database. For this case there are other macros, generating the same methods in a class, that calls the endpoint code directly as methods.

Implementing the server and client side code is very easy this way
You just have to write normal methods on server side and call the methods with the same name on client side. And the new Assist is helping you also.

There are some more complex things in it also. For example the exceptions thrown in the server code are propagated to the client side, so the error handling is quite simple as well.

There is a macro, generating the callable javascript functions also.

This "framework" is similar to the database framework of U++.

I run the server side U++ daemon behind Nginx on Linux.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 April 2024 22:27]

Re: C++ and HTML+Javascript [message #60536 is a reply to message #60534] Thu, 04 April 2024 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hi Zsolt,

your approach seems very promising.

I am not expert in this field and I am not able to replicate what you have done.
But if it can work on a remote server than should work with a local server too. If I have understood, then a desktop app can be built using U++, HTML, CSS and Javascript using a browser as renderer.

I wish one day to see a "hello world" test case built with such tecnology.

Best regards,
Luigi
Re: C++ and HTML+Javascript [message #60539 is a reply to message #60536] Tue, 09 April 2024 23:49 Go to previous message
Contributor
Hi Luigi,

Quote:
If I have understood, then a desktop app can be built using U++, HTML, CSS and Javascript using a browser as renderer.

Yes, but my purpose is to run the JS GUI in a web browser.

Quote:
I wish one day to see a "hello world" test case built with such tecnology.

I plan releasing the core of it. Currently the code is messy with a lot of different older experimental APIs and it is not separated from the app enough. After finishing the web based GUI, I think it will be evolved to a more general and cleaner state.
Previous Topic: HTML table creator
Next Topic: U++ bug (freezed screen) related to Dual Display
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 10:29:38 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03132 seconds