Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » dynamic loading of Ctrls using dli?
dynamic loading of Ctrls using dli? [message #6247] Sat, 04 November 2006 09:58 Go to next message
fallingdutch is currently offline  fallingdutch
Experienced Member
is it possible to store ctrls in dll/so files so you can load them dynamically with the upp dli?

I tried a factory function within my lib but didn't work:
MyCtrl *newMyCtrl() {
   return new MyCtrl();
}

Anny sugestions or hints how to do this?

Bas

[Updated on: Sat, 04 November 2006 09:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: dynamic loading of Ctrls using dli? [message #6248 is a reply to message #6247] Sat, 04 November 2006 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
This can be considered a weak spot of U++ - it is not designed with dynamic linking in mind.

In fact, C++ itself is pretty bad at this, because maintaining module compatibility without compiler is hell.

That does not mean such think is not possible. Just nobody tried it so far...

(The real question IMHO is: What is dynamic linking really good for?).

Mirek
Re: dynamic loading of Ctrls using dli? [message #6249 is a reply to message #6248] Sat, 04 November 2006 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fallingdutch is currently offline  fallingdutch
Experienced Member
a way to give the possibility to extend the App by others without the need to recompile.

So person A can write a "plug-in" and Person B can use it without recompiling and Person C ever having heard of it but maintaining the App.

Bas
Re: dynamic loading of Ctrls using dli? [message #6250 is a reply to message #6249] Sat, 04 November 2006 10:38 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, I think that for plugins you will have to provide some sort of even little bit more complex interface (and more narrow in the same time) than simple dynamic linking.

Personally, if I would be about to provide a way how to write plugins for my apps, I would try for possibility to write them using some other GUI libraries...

And when writing U++ plugin for U++ app, I would rather kept U++ library as separate copy in the .dll / .so to avoid problems. (BTW, at the moment, there is quite extensive experience with writing U++ plugins for non-U++ apps).

In any case, this is certainly an interesting topic to evolve.

Mirek
Previous Topic: CHECK macro
Next Topic: Is there a little database class?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:32:27 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03470 seconds