Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » Is there a little database class?
Is there a little database class? [message #6426] Sun, 12 November 2006 10:24 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Does U++ have a minimalist internal database class? (no sql and other sophisticated weapons).

Luigi
Re: Is there a little database class? [message #6427 is a reply to message #6426] Sun, 12 November 2006 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
What you mean?
Do you want some some in memory data store or a simple db engine using a database file?
What do you want? Storing data in tables, indexed search?

SQLite is very minimalistic, has a very low memory footprint and can do all the above things.
Re: Is there a little database class? [message #6428 is a reply to message #6427] Sun, 12 November 2006 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
zsolt wrote on Sun, 12 November 2006 11:45

What you mean?
Do you want some some in memory data store or a simple db engine using a database file?
What do you want? Storing data in tables, indexed search?

SQLite is very minimalistic, has a very low memory footprint and can do all the above things.

Hi Zsolt,

I mean I need some easy thing to use: create a dbase, add two tables, add the the fields to each table, fill the rows, perform a search and show the result. In the past I've used the Xbase library and I felt confortable with it (perhaps because it was documented and there was a full test program available).

Unfortunatly the documentation for the Upp/sqlite is not enough for a not experienced user as me and I feel lost among all those classes.

Is there around a simple U++/CONSOLE application that perform the tasks I listed above? Even the sqlite site lacks of a good test program... maybe I was not able to find it?

The SqlApp seems too complex. I believe that once I've mastered the essential of sqlite console the step to the gui will be easier.

Thanks,
Luigi
Re: Is there a little database class? [message #6429 is a reply to message #6428] Sun, 12 November 2006 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
I like SQL classes in U++, because they are really easy to use. Much more easy than in any other library I used before.

reference/SQL_Sqlite3 was a good starting point for me.
Additional resources, that were useful for me in learning:

.sch files: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=142097 81
SQL Select, Update, Insert examples: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=106415 66
SQL API explanation: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=106456 94

"SQL programming" section of this overview: http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$overview$en-us.html
And a lot of answers from Mirek in the SQL topics of this forum.
Re: Is there a little database class? [message #6430 is a reply to message #6426] Sun, 12 November 2006 17:31 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Sun, 12 November 2006 04:24

Hello,

Does U++ have a minimalist internal database class? (no sql and other sophisticated weapons).

Luigi

Actually, it has two non-SQL database classes, but not in the "canonical" packages.

Both are in TCore package. There is DbfStream for handling DBF format database files.

Also, there is DataBase class, which is simple powerful database engine with own philosophy developed by Tom for one of his applications. Frankly, I know a very little about this class and in fact, to my knowledge, in recent apps Tom started to use Sqlite too.

I have to agree with Zsolt that for typical new applications, as long as DBF compatibility is not an issue and embedded database is needed, Sqlite is the best option.

Mirek
Previous Topic: dynamic loading of Ctrls using dli?
Next Topic: SHGetFolderPath(NULL, CSIDL_APPDATA, NULL, 0, szPath)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:46:28 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03492 seconds