Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » UppLocal persistence problem
UppLocal persistence problem [message #6761] Sun, 26 November 2006 16:53 Go to next message
Werner is currently offline  Werner
Experienced Member
"TheIDE help / macros" reads:

Quote:

... .usc files can be either part of regular packages or are placed in Common or Local directory. ...

If I understand the code correctly, "Local directory" means a directory named "UppLocal" and residing in the directory containing the TheIDE program file (commonly ".../upp") which has to be manually created.

Obviously, UppLocal is to hold custom data. This should lead to its persistence. But whenever a fresh Ultimate++ version is installed via the respective .exe file, this directory is deleted.

Bug, feature, or my personal misinterpretation of UppLocal's purpose?

Werner
Re: UppLocal persistence problem [message #6765 is a reply to message #6761] Sun, 26 November 2006 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fallingdutch is currently offline  fallingdutch
Experienced Member
Hello Werner

Werner wrote on Sun, 26 November 2006 16:53

"TheIDE help / macros" reads:

Quote:

... .usc files can be either part of regular packages or are placed in Common or Local directory. ...

If I understand the code correctly, "Local directory" means a directory named "UppLocal" and residing in the directory containing the TheIDE program file (commonly ".../upp") which has to be manually created.

I understand it that you can place it in any local (= non default) directory (=package) whereever you create it. As you say C:\upp doesn't make much sense because it is deleted each time you update.
so eg D:\MyApps\myPackage would be a local dir at the "SetMainPackage" Screen just add a new assamly (right click on the left column) and point it to D:\MyApps. They won't be deleted and you can add .usc files to your packages as much as you want.

Bas
Re: UppLocal persistence problem [message #6768 is a reply to message #6765] Sun, 26 November 2006 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
fallingdutch wrote on Sun, 26 November 2006 19:50

I understand it that you can place it in any local (= non default) directory (=package) whereever you create it. As you say C:\upp doesn't make much sense because it is deleted each time you update.
so eg D:\MyApps\myPackage would be a local dir at the "SetMainPackage" Screen just add a new assamly (right click on the left column) and point it to D:\MyApps. They won't be deleted and you can add .usc files to your packages as much as you want.

You are absolutely right! Very Happy
Unfortunately that's not the problem ... Rolling Eyes

I want to use my .usc files for macros. If you have an .usc file only in one of your packages, the Macro menu doesn't show up. And if it showed up, it would be useful only if I worked on exactly this package. Sad

But I want to write macros which are _always_ available. Cool

Werner
Re: UppLocal persistence problem [message #6783 is a reply to message #6768] Mon, 27 November 2006 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Werner wrote on Sun, 26 November 2006 21:57

I want to use my .usc files for macros. If you have an .usc file only in one of your packages, the Macro menu doesn't show up. And if it showed up, it would be useful only if I worked on exactly this package. Sad

But I want to write macros which are _always_ available. Cool

Now i understand your problem, Werner

just looked throught the code, as you did, too, i guess. But was unable to find a path where TheIDE looks for UscMacros.

I hope Mirek will tell us Wink

I don't know how special your macros are, but what about adding them to the "programs written with upp" part of the forum so all of us can use it and maybee we get some more helpfull macros?

Bas
Re: UppLocal persistence problem [message #6787 is a reply to message #6783] Mon, 27 November 2006 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
fallingdutch wrote on Mon, 27 November 2006 07:37

But was unable to find a path where TheIDE looks for UscMacros.

I hope Mirek will tell us Wink

I don't know how special your macros are, but what about adding them to the "programs written with upp" part of the forum so all of us can use it and maybee we get some more helpfull macros?

Bas

As far as macros are concerned, TheIDE looks into "Common" and "UppLocal". The latter is hard-coded. It must exist in the directory where the "TheIDE" program file resides.

It is basically an excellent idea to have one's own custom directory. It's just that a new installation might delete it.

As far as _my_ macros are concerned, I'm actually working on a macro tutorial. (That's the reason for this thread.) This tutorial will include some useful macros, I hope. But please, be patient. Currently I'm heavily testing two UPTs which I intend to publish soon. Maybe another UPT will follow up. And only then the macro tutorial will be ready to be published.

Werner
Re: UppLocal persistence problem [message #6794 is a reply to message #6787] Tue, 28 November 2006 18:23 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
oh yes ... that is a drawback of windows ... when using linux you have the .theide folder in your home directory where these files are stored and not deleted upon update.

a macro tut would be great.

Bas
Previous Topic: XP installation problem
Next Topic: unknown pragma
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:57:02 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01590 seconds