FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » U++ as web platform
U++ as web platform [message #7074] Mon, 11 December 2006 14:25 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, there is an idea, inspired by 3togo:

System of packages could easily turn U++ to be a "web platform" for applets.

The idea is that user downloads compressed package of applet, then there is slightly modified U++ build system that compiles the applet and links it in the .so mode with prebuild .so packages.

Compiling/linking the single applet in BLITZ .so mode should be fast enough to compete with Java (think 10s or so).

Resulting applet would be much much faster and quite unlimited (unlike Java). Combined with the fact that U++ needs really small source to do things, this could be really interesting...

(Of course, there is a couple of problems to consider, first of all versions, then perhaps applets dependency).

Mirek
Re: U++ as web platform [message #7080 is a reply to message #7074] Tue, 12 December 2006 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
This would be something like ActivX, I think. But it was not too successful.
Re: U++ as web platform [message #7138 is a reply to message #7080] Fri, 15 December 2006 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
zsolt wrote on Tue, 12 December 2006 05:50

This would be something like ActivX, I think. But it was not too successful.

No, I do not think so. In fact, for the moment it is better to forget about "web" aspect...

What I am suggesting is U++ based runtime environment for platform indepentent applications. Simply you download the application and run it on any platform.

Surprisingly, all needed seems already to be in U++, even smallest details like GetDataFile. That "independent executable" would be just .zip of one or several packages.

Runtime would unzip it, BLITZ compile it against uppsrc and run. Of course, it would be maintaining the cache to get things faster...

I dare to say that BLITZ compile of most of stuff would not take longer than 20s, which is comparable to many Java apps startup times...

The only problem (found by Bas) is that it is maybe too open-sourced... (you can unzip and get sources). But Java has decompilers too.

Mirek
Re: U++ as web platform [message #7145 is a reply to message #7138] Fri, 15 December 2006 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
OK, I understand now.
This seems to be a good idea.
The ohter problem with Java is, that it had to have very stable, frozen APIs, because after deploying a new version of JVM, the apps, developed to the old one had to continue working. But in real life, this is not true. There are servers in enterprise environment with a lot of JVMs.

But with this U++ "runtime", the compiled binary would be there.

But thinkig about this, I think it is much simpler to give a simple binary to the user.
Re: U++ as web platform [message #7160 is a reply to message #7074] Sat, 16 December 2006 14:54 Go to previous message
yeohhs

Also, using U++ for developing web applications is interesting.

Perhaps in future there could be U++ plugins for GNU cgicc or FastGGI
See:
http://www.cgicc.org/
http://www.fastcgi.com/

Best Regards, Smile
Yeoh
--
So many projects but too little time! Wink

Previous Topic: Benchmarking U++
Next Topic: Experiments with Vector growth factor...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 16:15:20 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02701 seconds