Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » Can't Seem to See Console Output While In the Debugger
Can't Seem to See Console Output While In the Debugger [message #7273] Tue, 19 December 2006 23:36 Go to next message
patrickinminneapolis is currently offline  patrickinminneapolis
Noob alert.
Anyway, can someone tell me how to view my console output (eg. cout << x) while debugging? When I execute my compiled program I can see the standard output just fine. I think there must be a window in TheIde that allows me to see what I'm printing to standard output. I've been clicking for a few hours now so any help is greatly appreciated. I'm running Suse 10.1 with the latest ultimate++ as of posting.
Thanks
Patrick
Re: Can't Seem to See Console Output While In the Debugger [message #7274 is a reply to message #7273] Tue, 19 December 2006 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Admittedly, U++ is not well matched for POSIX console apps development.

Anyway, to see the output, you can activate Debug/Run options/Standard output/Console. (The problem is the input Smile

Mirek
Re: Can't Seem to See Console Output While In the Debugger [message #7277 is a reply to message #7274] Wed, 20 December 2006 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the response. Still doesn't work however. Do you have any other ideas?
Re: Can't Seem to See Console Output While In the Debugger [message #7278 is a reply to message #7277] Wed, 20 December 2006 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
A possible workaround:
Redirect stdout to a file and see the output using "tail -f filename" in a terminal.
Re: Can't Seem to See Console Output While In the Debugger [message #7294 is a reply to message #7274] Wed, 20 December 2006 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Incidentally, can you tell me why U++ is not well matched for POSIX console apps development, and can you recommend something better?
Thanks.
Re: Can't Seem to See Console Output While In the Debugger [message #7295 is a reply to message #7294] Wed, 20 December 2006 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
I think, you can not put data to stdin of your console app in the IDE.
Re: Can't Seem to See Console Output While In the Debugger [message #7296 is a reply to message #7294] Wed, 20 December 2006 19:01 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
patrickinminneapolis wrote on Wed, 20 December 2006 11:46

Incidentally, can you tell me why U++ is not well matched for POSIX console apps development, and can you recommend something better?
Thanks.

It all about the console (xterm) - at the moment, TheIDE cannot launch the console application and application in it. Frankly, I am not sure whether this is even possible. (Any information about this situation is highly appreciated!).

You can redirect stdout to TheIDE's console and see the output.

Alternative is to set output mode to produce binary in e.g. your home directory and than start it from the xterm.

Anyway, original claim was somewhat misleading. U++ library is perfectly OK for console app, it is this stupid small problem of consile which makes it somewhat inferior.

Note: If you have the output redirected, another problem is that in ide, bottom pane is shared between debugger and output console. So if you are at breakpoint, you have to click console tab to see the output.

Mirek
Previous Topic: Linux .brc handling bug
Next Topic: different repositories of libs and includes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 13:27:54 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02401 seconds