Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Misc. Requests.
Misc. Requests. [message #7339] Sat, 23 December 2006 02:53 Go to next message
agent86 is currently offline  agent86
Promising Member
Some requests for theIDE...
Editor:
Current line highlight. Useful eye candy...
Indentation guides. These help a poor slob like me a lot.
Folding of functions, structures, classes, etc.

If too hard with existing architecture, then OK. I can live without, I guess.

I have a disk formatted in ext3 which is totally accessible from both Windows and Linux. I have all my code on that drive. Many of the apps out there are to run on both Linux and Windows. So I like the idea of this program a lot. I'd love to be able to use the exact same project/package/nesting/assembly setup in both environments. That would really be cool. I'm not sure but I think only one thing is in the way: Paths to the package files. So with that,

theIDE:
In the .upp files (or wherever else) store relative paths from the package location to the files. The .wap file is located in an OS dependent location so it can point to the assemblies in the OS native way. But within those file, use relative pathing.

Lots of work, but if do-able, and the developers don't have the
inclination, and someone points me to the appropreate part of the code, I'd give it a shot...

Re: Misc. Requests. [message #7346 is a reply to message #7339] Sat, 23 December 2006 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
agent86 wrote on Fri, 22 December 2006 20:53

I have a disk formatted in ext3 which is totally accessible from both Windows and Linux. I have all my code on that drive. Many of the apps out there are to run on both Linux and Windows. So I like the idea of this program a lot. I'd love to be able to use the exact same project/package/nesting/assembly setup in both environments. That would really be cool. I'm not sure but I think only one thing is in the way: Paths to the package files. So with that,

theIDE:
In the .upp files (or wherever else) store relative paths from the package location to the files. The .wap file is located in an OS dependent location so it can point to the assemblies in the OS native way. But within those file, use relative pathing.

I am a little bit puzzled, because this was one of main desing goal f the while package system. Just like you, I have FAT32 partition to store the sources which is accessible both from Linux and Win32 and I have zero problems with paths.

The key of course is to store all files into packages. System of assemblies then defines real paths.

Well, sometimes people mess things up by using "Add any file" to insert files into package - this stores the whole path, which is wrong in 99% cases... Maybe we should add that "Expert" option really soon Smile

Mirek
Re: Misc. Requests. [message #7371 is a reply to message #7346] Sat, 23 December 2006 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
I have a not-too-complicated existing directory structure. Within that I can build several different apps. The source files that each app needs are in the same directory as the makefile, as well as up and over a directory or 2. Adding them to the package does result in the absolute path issue.

Since I have several of these apps in different directories which sometimes use some of these "common" files, I don't want to change the structure. So...

I just got started with theIDE so I am still learning.

Are you suggesting that I can make non-buildable packages out of these common files, then include those packages in my other apps?

By non-buildable, I mean that they do not result in a library, a dll or an executable. Just a package of files. Does that work?

Re: Misc. Requests. [message #7439 is a reply to message #7371] Fri, 29 December 2006 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, I am afraid there is no help for you in TheIDE for this particular case. TheIDE is designed to manage directory problems for you, but only as long as you use its "package philosophy".

Mirek
Re: Misc. Requests. [message #7482 is a reply to message #7439] Sun, 31 December 2006 09:08 Go to previous message
Promising Member
Yes, I can see that the package structure is very powerful. For me, I have solved my problem by patching path.cpp and uppWspc.cpp to put relative paths in the .upp file. (of course if a file is on a different drive or file system, it does get an absolute path. It also forces all directory separators to be '/'. So I have successfully built several apps on both Linux and Windows using the exact same .upp files.

So now with the patches, I can use a directory structure more suitable to my needs and get the benefits of TheIde.

Not to belabor the point, but in 5 directories, I build 15 different console apps. Each of these use some subset of the function files in each of those directories. Unless I'm mistaken (which is a definite possibility) going to the package structure would mean having 15 different package directories and duplicating the function files that are used by multiple apps.

I do have some larger projects that the package scheme should work well for.

Anyway, great product. I hope to contribute to it as I learn more about it.

chuck
Previous Topic: Output mode -- Not what is expected
Next Topic: Automatic file encoding
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 10:17:32 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02462 seconds