Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Widgets - General questions or Mixed problems » Stripping an executable doesn't reduces it's size
Stripping an executable doesn't reduces it's size [message #7239] Tue, 19 December 2006 11:20 Go to next message
filipenf is currently offline  filipenf
Promising Member
Hello, I've generated a small executable and I've configured it with the MINGW optimal.

The size of executable is about 2.5mb and after I stripped it the size remains the same.

My question is: does theIDE strips the binary after compilation?

I need to know more about the blitz build, what is it, how does it work, etc...

Thanks
Re: Stripping an executable doesn't reduces it's size [message #7240 is a reply to message #7239] Tue, 19 December 2006 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
Yes, it is stripped. If you want smaller executables, you have to use MSC instead of MINGW.
You can read a lot info about BLITZ in this topic:
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=214&a mp;start=0&
Re: Stripping an executable doesn't reduces it's size [message #7243 is a reply to message #7239] Tue, 19 December 2006 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
filipenf wrote on Tue, 19 December 2006 05:20

Hello, I've generated a small executable and I've configured it with the MINGW optimal.

The size of executable is about 2.5mb and after I stripped it the size remains the same.

My question is: does theIDE strips the binary after compilation?

Stripping is a term used for removing debug info. Anyway, in optimal mode there is no debug info added in the compilation.

Sadly, mingw produces large binaries. Another issue to consider is that U++ contains a lot of stuff - it in fact reimplements almost everything from the ground up, in about 700KBs (MSC71). (Here, 700KB is con, but pros is that after that point, it grows very slowly - e.g. TheIDE is less than 4 MB total).

Mirek
Re: Stripping an executable doesn't reduces it's size [message #8156 is a reply to message #7239] Tue, 13 February 2007 03:09 Go to previous message
exolon is currently offline  exolon
Btw, if this looks "unsightly", UPX does a good job packing executables with no noticeable extraction lag (in fact, for larger files it's surely faster than loading those extra megs).

Try 'upx --ultra-brute theide.exe' and see - but go for a nice long walk while it's working. I think it lopped off at least 2 or 3 megs for me (down to 1822208 bytes). Smile
Previous Topic: keeping fixed x/y ratio in a control
Next Topic: small documentation bug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:38:24 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06195 seconds