Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » New user frustration
New user frustration [message #1197] Thu, 23 February 2006 03:25 Go to next message
mdurham is currently offline  mdurham
Hi,
As the title says I'm a new user, about 2 hours old and I'm having a bit of bother linking.
I'm running U++ on Ubuntu Linux Dapper.

Builder: GCC32
Compiler name: gcc

I've tried compiling "Hello Word" see extracted results below. I'm obviosly missing a library or two but which ones?

I've installed all the libs that I 'think' might help by using Synaptic, but I find it a hit and miss affair.

Can anyone help me out with this problem please.

Thanks heaps, Mike

----- CtrlLib ( GUI GCC32 DEBUG SHARED DEBUG_FULL BLITZ LINUX ) (1 / 9)
----- CtrlCore ( GUI GCC32 DEBUG SHARED DEBUG_FULL BLITZ LINUX ) (2 / 9)
----- RichText ( GUI GCC32 DEBUG SHARED DEBUG_FULL BLITZ LINUX ) (3 / 9)
----- Draw ( GUI GCC32 DEBUG SHARED DEBUG_FULL BLITZ LINUX ) (4 / 9)
----- Core ( GUI GCC32 DEBUG SHARED DEBUG_FULL BLITZ LINUX ) (5 / 9)
----- plugin\png ( GUI GCC32 DEBUG SHARED DEBUG_FULL BLITZ LINUX ) (6 / 9)
----- Image ( GUI GCC32 DEBUG SHARED DEBUG_FULL BLITZ LINUX ) (7 / 9)
----- plugin\z ( GUI GCC32 DEBUG SHARED DEBUG_FULL BLITZ LINUX ) (8 / 9)
----- HelloWorld ( GUI MAIN GCC32 DEBUG SHARED DEBUG_FULL BLITZ LINUX ) (9 / 9)

Linking...
/home/mike/upp/out/HelloWorld/GCC32.Debug_full.Gui.Main.Shar ed/hello.o:(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTI10HelloWorld[typeinfo for Hel
loWorld]+0x0): undefined reference to `vtable for __cxxabiv1::__si_class_type_info'
/home/mike/upp/out/HelloWorld/GCC32.Debug_full.Gui.Main.Shar ed/hello.o:(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTI21Callback1MethodActionI10He l
loWorldMS0_FvR3BarES2_E[typeinfo for Callback1MethodAction<HelloWorld, void (HelloWorld::*)(Bar&), Bar&>]+0x0): undef
ined reference to `vtable for __cxxabiv1::__si_class_type_info'
<--cut-->
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/CtrlLib/Ctrl.iml:1489: undefined reference to `__cxa_guard_release'
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/CtrlLib/Ctrl.iml:1489: undefined reference to `__cxa_guard_abort'
/home/mike/upp/out/CtrlLib/GCC32.Debug_full.Gui.Shared/$blit z.o: In function `CtrlImg::HelpCursor1()':/home/mike/upp/upps
rc/CtrlLib/Ctrl.iml:1263: undefined reference to `__cxa_guard_acquire'
<--cut-->
/home/mike/upp/out/Draw/GCC32.Debug_full.Gui.Shared/$blitz.o : In function `Draw::SinCos(int, double&, double&)':/home/mik
e/upp/uppsrc/Draw/DrawText.cpp:21: undefined reference to `sin'
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Draw/DrawText.cpp:22: undefined reference to `cos'
/home/mike/upp/out/Draw/GCC32.Debug_full.Gui.Shared/$blitz.o : In function `FontInfo::Data::GetMetrics(int, FontInfo::Char
Metrics*)':/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Draw/DrawTextXft.cpp:43: undefined reference to `__cxa_guard_acquire'
<--cut-->
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Core/Convert.cpp:361: undefined reference to `typeinfo for char'
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Core/Convert.cpp:361: undefined reference to `__cxa_throw'
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Core/Convert.cpp:368: undefined reference to `__cxa_allocate_exception'
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Core/Convert.cpp:368: undefined reference to `__cxa_free_exception'
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Core/Convert.cpp:368: undefined reference to `std::terminate()'
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Core/Convert.cpp:368: undefined reference to `__cxa_throw'
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Core/Convert.cpp:368: undefined reference to `std::terminate()'
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Core/Convert.cpp:374: undefined reference to `__cxa_allocate_exception'
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Core/Convert.cpp:374: undefined reference to `__cxa_free_exception'
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Core/Convert.cpp:374: undefined reference to `std::terminate()'
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Core/Convert.cpp:374: undefined reference to `__cxa_throw'
:/home/mike/upp/uppsrc/Core/Convert.cpp:374: undefined reference to `std::terminate()'
Re: New user frustration [message #1198 is a reply to message #1197] Thu, 23 February 2006 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
As for new users (especially on Linux...) I would suggest to start with "Link mode": "All static" (in "Build"->"Output mode")
Re: New user frustration [message #1201 is a reply to message #1197] Thu, 23 February 2006 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, I tried your suggestion of static linking but it's just the same.
Lots of unresolved references.
It must be that I'm missing a library or two. I just thought that someone might recognise the missing lables and maybe know which libs I'm missing.

Cheers, Mike

Re: New user frustration [message #1202 is a reply to message #1197] Thu, 23 February 2006 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
Your standard C++ library is not installed.
Re: New user frustration [message #1203 is a reply to message #1202] Thu, 23 February 2006 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
You have to install a package libstdc++6-dev or libstdc++5-3.3-dev or something similar, depending on your gcc version.
Re: New user frustration [message #1204 is a reply to message #1197] Thu, 23 February 2006 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do have libstdc++nn installed in /usr/lib, there are several of them, different versions of course.
It 'should' be using gcc-4.0 to compile.

I'm at a loss!

Mike
Re: New user frustration [message #1206 is a reply to message #1198] Thu, 23 February 2006 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 03:06

As for new users (especially on Linux...) I would suggest to start with "Link mode": "All static" (in "Build"->"Output mode")

Well, this is a good advice for Win32. For Linux it is better to use "Shared".

Mirek
Re: New user frustration [message #1207 is a reply to message #1206] Thu, 23 February 2006 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, it looks like your TheIDE obviously runs - it is actually compiled in ubuntu using 3.4.x compiler installed via synaptics.

This means that there are all .so files needed for 3.4.x. Simple solution therefore would be to install 3.4.x compiler. Just do not forget to make it "c++" (not c++-3.4.5), alternatively you can change the compiler name in build methods.

Mirek
Re: New user frustration [message #1223 is a reply to message #1197] Thu, 23 February 2006 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mirek, I have the 3.4 compiler installed already.
I don't understand what you mean by:
'Just do not forget to make it "c++" (not c++-3.4.5)'
What do I make 'c++'?
Do I have to use the 3.4 compiler? Why?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd really like to use Ultimate++.

Mike
Re: New user frustration [message #1225 is a reply to message #1223] Thu, 23 February 2006 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdurham wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 16:37

Mirek, I have the 3.4 compiler installed already.
I don't understand what you mean by:
'Just do not forget to make it "c++" (not c++-3.4.5)'
What do I make 'c++'?

Last time I have installed GCC-3.4.x in ubuntu, it was installed as gcc-3.4.x, c++-3.4.x etc..., while c++, gcc etc were linked to GCC4.0, which if I remember well, is default.

At this moment I suspect that MAYBE the problem is that you have GCC4.0 installed, but not libraries (or perhaps you have 64-bit system and things mixed or something like that). TheIDE itself is compiled with 3.4.x and runs with its (32-bit) runtime library, which positively present on your system (otherwise it would not run).

Check what is the situation with your compilers and repspective versions.

Quote:

Do I have to use the 3.4 compiler? Why?

You do not have to, I am using 4.0 on fedora, 3.4 on ubuntu etc... U++ requires anything past 3.2.x. However, I am trying to cut through the problem step by step Smile

Quote:

Sorry for all the questions but I'd really like to use Ultimate++.

You are welcome.

Mirek
Re: New user frustration [message #8470 is a reply to message #1225] Mon, 12 March 2007 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
So this user's problem was never fixed eh? and now it appears that I have the same problem. Seems like everything that was suggested, this user had already done and that eventually they gave up. I appear to have the same problem but under windows.

Looks like a bug in the IDE? Is there a workaround? Want me to send you my workspace?

Nick
Re: New user frustration [message #8547 is a reply to message #8470] Fri, 16 March 2007 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
nixnixnix wrote on Mon, 12 March 2007 18:59

I appear to have the same problem but under windows.

That is very unlikely, as the nature of the problem was version mismatch of .so files.

Quote:

Looks like a bug in the IDE? Is there a workaround? Want me to send you my workspace?

Well, maybe you can start by describing the symptoms...

Mirek
Re: New user frustration [message #8805 is a reply to message #8547] Sun, 01 April 2007 23:00 Go to previous message
fallingdutch is currently offline  fallingdutch
Experienced Member
the current release is again with .deb and .rpm files - just download and run a dpkg -i

Bas
Previous Topic: Show the registers when debugging
Next Topic: Unable to link examples
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:21:28 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01804 seconds