Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » new uninstaller because... :)
new uninstaller because... :) [message #847] Sun, 05 February 2006 04:00 Go to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
I spend the whole day doing order with my upp dirs and updated from uvs and I had a few instances of UF******** running and one of them suddenly asked if I agree with the licence. I said "no" because I didn't want the instalation process to start. But the opposite happenned. All upp dirs were wiped completely without any questions asked and nothing was even in the recycling bin. Is this ...... normal way of doing software ????!!!

Edit: because the topic name was not so nice Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 05 February 2006 14:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: F***! [message #848 is a reply to message #847] Sun, 05 February 2006 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Sorry for causing the trouble, but I believe that there had to be prompt before wiping...

The normal is to "ask for license", if rejected "ask for removal".

"removal" explicitly states that it will delete the whole directory.

Please check ide/Install:

line 143 CheckLicense and
line 29 Uninstall

if(!PromptYesNo("[*3 Do you wish to uninstall Ultimate`+`+ development system ?&&]"
	                "Uninstall will remove [* " + DeQtf(dir) + "] directory and all "
	                "registry and desktop items associated with Ultimate`+`+.")) return;

Now of course, another question is whether this is a good tactics (to remove everything), however, I am not sure what else uninstall should do?

In any case, idea is this: For normal release users, this will do. For snapshot downloaders / uvs2 syncers, the most natural way of upgrading is to simply compile TheIDE and replace .exe in the install dir.

However, please, help me here. I feel that this is NOT optimal, but I see no better options here.

Mirek

Re: F***! [message #849 is a reply to message #848] Sun, 05 February 2006 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Why can't it be a separate uninstaller like all normal software have?
Re: F***! [message #850 is a reply to message #849] Sun, 05 February 2006 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Why should I waste another .exe? Uninstall is simply triggered by "--uninstall" parameter of theide.exe (of course, if license is declined, it is invoked directly).

Moreover, even with separate .exe for uninstall, the logic would be unchanged - ask for license, ask for removal...

However, there is one simple thing I can do right now. Currently, theide checks whether there is "license" file in theide.exe directory, if there is not, asks for license and creates the file. I will "invert" the process - check if there is and delete it after accepting the license. That way TheIDE will stop bothering about license unless it is part of released package.

Mirek
Re: F***! [message #851 is a reply to message #848] Sun, 05 February 2006 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
luzr wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 02:09

Sorry for causing the trouble, but I believe that there had to be prompt before wiping...

The normal is to "ask for license", if rejected "ask for removal".

"removal" explicitly states that it will delete the whole directory.

Please check ide/Install:

line 143 CheckLicense and
line 29 Uninstall

if(!PromptYesNo("[*3 Do you wish to uninstall Ultimate`+`+ development system ?&&]"
	                "Uninstall will remove [* " + DeQtf(dir) + "] directory and all "
	                "registry and desktop items associated with Ultimate`+`+.")) return;

The problem was that this question didn't appear! A bug? But I can't reproduce it because I can't compile any working Ultimate programs from the updated uvs.

Yesterday I spent more than an hour figuring out why, after I updated the sources, Ultimate++ doesn't start - parsing error. And no file name displyed. Ok, I tried to sync several times in a row and every time Core.upp was different. So, I found out that in Core.upp some " characters were missing.( A bug in Uvs2, too? )
So far so good. I copied Core.upp from another computer and succesfully compiled ide.exe and replaced theide.exe and renamed accordingly to have my existing shortcuts working.

And then... everything wiped including uvs.exe which was in out dir inside upp... Smile But that was not enough... Ok, I downloaded, installed, updated from uvs. Now I'm dissapointed because I can't get any Ultimate++ compiled apps working. They don't show. With debugger they show "EXCEPTION: C0000005 at 77F79040 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading at 178860AB".

Quote:

Now of course, another question is whether this is a good tactics (to remove everything), however, I am not sure what else uninstall should do?

First of all, why the installer puts all the directories inside upp? Even mingw? And when installing there at least must be warnings like "DO NOT PUT ANY YOUR VALUABLE FILES INSIDE UPP DIR!".
And, as I've already said - there must be a separate uninstaller!
Also, why the deleted files didn't go to the Recycle Bin?

Quote:

In any case, idea is this: For normal release users, this will do. For snapshot downloaders / uvs2 syncers, the most natural way of upgrading is to simply compile TheIDE and replace .exe in the install dir.

BTW, what is the difference between ide.exe and theide.exe?

P.S. if you have any ideas about that Exception, uvs and Core.upp post to another forum.
Thanks
Re: F***! [message #852 is a reply to message #851] Sun, 05 February 2006 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 04:44

The problem was that this question didn't appear! A bug? But I can't reproduce it because I can't compile any working Ultimate programs from the updated uvs.

Then it is a bug. But I can hardly see how that could have happened (see the code).

Quote:

P.S. if you have any ideas about that Exception, uvs and Core.upp post to another forum.
Thanks

Well, I hope I can explain at least this - I made stupid bug in the new "ONCELOCK" macro and synced uvs2 before seriously checking it (because I was closing notebook). So for a while, U++ was broken.

Also one more note - after syncing, it is advisible to "bomb" the compile (use rebuild all). I am not 100% sure why sometimes things blow up, but I suspect that MSC's incremental linker sometimes has trouble after sync. So after syn, rebuild all!

Also, about putting everything into single dir - actually, we do not. That is why MyApps is placed elsewhere. However, where else should I put mingw, if it comes as the part of TheIDE? I believe I SHOULD uninstall if I did installed it?! If somebody wants mingw as the separate entity, he would better downloaded U++ without mingw I think....

Anyway, I guess I will add the warning you suggest.

Mirek
Re: new uninstaller because... :) [message #853 is a reply to message #847] Sun, 05 February 2006 15:14 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Thanks, Myrek. Now I've got it working.
Previous Topic: Don't autosave
Next Topic: project file as command line parameter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:46:09 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03489 seconds