Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » Comments requested
Comments requested [message #8971] Wed, 11 April 2007 00:28 Go to next message
jimmygyuma is currently offline  jimmygyuma
Promising Member
The focus of my programming efforts are image editing and image manipulation for the purpose of creating custom video effects and transitions frame by frame. I have been using VC++6 and Qt3, with necessary assists from jEdit and Scite. Endless headaches are the norm. Also the programs are for my own use on Windows.
So, the idea of being able to do everything in one place, with reduced complexity is very, very attractive. However, two things about U++ give me pause. I would appreciate anyone's comments on these.

1. On poking around in the docs, it seems that U++ graphics are outdated. I routinely work on a pixel by pixel basis, but I'm not interested in writing my own line-drawing routines. Apparently I would have to do this with anything other than a solid line. With DotDash, etc, only one pixel wide? Also with brushes, the only kind available are solid? It said something about using Windows DC's, Yikes! I have never finished a project doing it Microsoft"s way, and have no interest in doing the interface with U++ and the meat with Microsoft. If I wanted to do it their way I wouldn't be here.

2. Another likely deal breaker. The designer creates its own file. Designers are used to get a lot of the grunt work done, but eventually you have to abandon it and go to the code. I have used Java and Qt and inevitably there would come a point when I had to go back, in the code, and change a lot of what the designer had produced. Also, in Qt for example, there is no QScrollView in the toolkit, so you put something else in as a place holder then go back to the code and change everything to handle a QScrollView. So, if TheIDE doesn't produce code, what do you go back and change?

As I said, comments appreciated.
Re: Comments requested [message #8978 is a reply to message #8971] Wed, 11 April 2007 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
jimmygyuma wrote on Tue, 10 April 2007 18:28

1. On poking around in the docs, it seems that U++ graphics are outdated.

The basic set of operations of Draw is intentionally kept minimal, at bare minimum needed to build GUI applications.

Advanced operations are planned to be covered by special package.

Of course, depends on what exactly you need now. Perhaps be more specific.

Quote:

2. Another likely deal breaker. The designer creates its own file. Designers are used to get a lot of the grunt work done, but eventually you have to abandon it and go to the code. I have used Java and Qt and inevitably there would come a point when I had to go back, in the code, and change a lot of what the designer had produced. Also, in Qt for example, there is no QScrollView in the toolkit, so you put something else in as a place holder then go back to the code and change everything to handle a QScrollView. So, if TheIDE doesn't produce code, what do you go back and change?

Well, this one is trivial. To put "unknown" widget into your design, just use "User class" and type in any name you wish. Alternatively, you can even leave the name empty, in this case you have to add it in your derived structure.

U++ layout designer in fact produces "base class templates", so you can access and modify all members easily by code.

Mirek

Re: Comments requested [message #9007 is a reply to message #8971] Thu, 12 April 2007 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimmygyuma is currently offline  jimmygyuma
Promising Member
My main focus is image editing both for photos and for creating custom video effects and transitions.
I just now discovered that wxWidgets has the same limitations. I've been working with non-commercial versions of VC6 & Qt3, and they remind me of that fact every time I run a program, and Qt doesn't have the same limitations. I realize that is commercial venture.
I guess it's either go back to Qt, or write the line-drawing routines. It's just that it doesn't give me as much pleasure as figuring out how Digital Image Pro does AutoFix Levels. I think mine is better, theirs often has a blue cast.
When might that proposed special package appear?
Thanks for your help.
Re: Comments requested [message #9015 is a reply to message #9007] Thu, 12 April 2007 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
jimmygyuma wrote on Wed, 11 April 2007 19:13

My main focus is image editing both for photos and for creating custom video effects and transitions.

Actually, I think that with current Image infrastructure, video effects and transitions would be joy to implement Wink

In fact, there is nothing too special about it, just the fact RGBA pixels are so easily and uniformly accessible now.

In the same time, I doubt any toolkit would provide such effects.

Quote:

When might that proposed special package appear?
Thanks for your help.

Well, approximate roadmap goes like this:

- new Core with better MT support (this comes in next dev)
- MacOS X11 support
- D&D and related issues (e.g. floating bars)
- TheIDE improvements (C++ parser etc...)
- Advanced drawing routines

Anyway, these things can be happening any time....

Mirek
Re: Comments requested [message #9017 is a reply to message #9015] Thu, 12 April 2007 15:57 Go to previous message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

- new Core with better MT support (this comes in next dev)
- MacOS X11 support
- D&D and related issues (e.g. floating bars)
- TheIDE improvements (C++ parser etc...)
- Advanced drawing routines

I'm currently working on "bands" in gridctrl to allow define rows that reflect more than one column in vertical line. See http://www.devexpress.com/Products/NET/WinForms/XtraGrid/tut orials/lesson2/xtragridlesson-2.html to fully understand me Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 12 April 2007 15:59]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Sort font face list
Next Topic: UVS2 proxy support?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:41:39 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02565 seconds