Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » ArrayCtrl, HeaderCtrl & GridCtrl » Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows
Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #9991] Tue, 12 June 2007 22:31 Go to next message
kcabobert is currently offline  kcabobert
I have two issues... but don't want two threads (I'm lazy...).

First, let me setup the problem:

1) I have an ArrayCtrl which I populate dynamically (I read the values from a database based on search criteria entered elsewhere).

2) My ArrayCtrl has an Index column (via AddIndex("primary_key","id")), a column of options (via AddColumn("use","Use").Ctrls<Option>()), and a name column (via AddColumn("name","Name")).

3.a) I need to SOMETIMES assign a callback to the option column that will uncheck all other options (like a radio ctrl), other times multiple selections are OK. I can do this if I can reliably figure out in which row the option that triggered the callback resides (I need people to be able to select via mouse or keyboard).

3.b) In some cases I may want one option completely disabled (in other words one row disabled). However, I still need the row to list. In these cases removing the option ctrl is acceptable.

I have found two threads which appear to have similar needs / problems:
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=602
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=605

I am not so clear on what exactly the GridCtrl does... but I gather that it may allow me to accomplish this? As a note, I think I would prefer to leave this as an ArrayCtrl.

I have used the WhenCtrlsAction callback on the ArrayCtrl, but can not reliably decided which row tripped the callback.

Thanks for your help / thoughts,
Robert
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #9992 is a reply to message #9991] Tue, 12 June 2007 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

In GridCtrl when control does its action the cursor is always moved to the cell that owns it (this is one of the main difference to the ArrayCtrl). Knowing that you can easily determine control (cell) position in WhenUpdateCell using GetCursorPos() or GetCursor() if you're intrested only in row position.
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #9993 is a reply to message #9992] Tue, 12 June 2007 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a general question: why ArrayCtrl and GridCtrl? Why not merge the two to simplify the library?

-- Added --

And here is my favorite part: where is the documentation on GridCtrl, and is it actually maintained? I see that it is segregated from the other controls... so I assume it is not maintained with the rest of the UPP code?

Is it possible to accomplish my needs using ArrayCtrl? I previously had the functioning by creating the Options using SetCtrl(..., new Option) then setting the details.

When I upgraded to the new upp version the Ctrls appears as gray boxes (in Windows, Linux, and Mac). My beta testers were less than pleased with the prospect of having to resize a column to check the box each time. I need to get an updated version of my software rolled out so I need to find a [quick] reliable solution.

Thoughts?

[Updated on: Tue, 12 June 2007 23:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #9994 is a reply to message #9993] Tue, 12 June 2007 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

kcabobert wrote on Tue, 12 June 2007 17:04

Here is a general question: why ArrayCtrl and GridCtrl? Why not merge the two to simplify the library?

They can't be merged (at least now). ArrayCtrl is the base array contol from the very begining and is used in many applications. I have created GridCtrl just to fit my needs (read about its features at my page).
Quote:

And here is my favorite part: where is the documentation on GridCtrl, and is it actually maintained? I see that it is segregated from the other controls... so I assume it is not maintained with the rest of the UPP code?

Documentation is the weakest point of GridCtrl. There is only unfinished tutorial (in GridCtrl package) and HomeBudget as an example. As for maintaining - you're wrong Smile It's actively developed. My time is very limited right now but I'll try to write better documentation soon.
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #9995 is a reply to message #9994] Wed, 13 June 2007 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wasn't trying to demean the project... it sounds very good. I was simply concerned that it may have dwindled and be no longer developed.

Am I correct in assuming then that GridCtrl is my only option?

Robert
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #9996 is a reply to message #9995] Wed, 13 June 2007 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is this correct? Why not add it to GridCtrl.h?

void Set(int r, Id c, const Value &val)
{
Set(r,aliases.Get(c),val);
}

The asm code doesn't compile right... but I assume that is on my end.

I get an error about line 918 ("inline Item& GetItem(int n, int m);"). It seems the function body is missing....

Aside from that it seems like it might work well.

Robert
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #9998 is a reply to message #9991] Wed, 13 June 2007 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
kcabobert wrote on Tue, 12 June 2007 16:31

2) My ArrayCtrl has an Index column (via AddIndex("primary_key","id")), a column of options (via AddColumn("use","Use").Ctrls<Option>()), and a name column (via AddColumn("name","Name")).

Just a note: This was supposed to use those Id (or SqlId) things, like:

Id PRIMARY_KEY("PRIMARY_KEY"); // possibly global, "Id constant"
AddIndex(PRIMARY_KEY, "id");

Using char * there works as well, but it is a but more error prone (you can mistype the string) and U++ has to perform char * -> Id conversion. That is especially not very helpful if you are looping through the ArrayCtrl values.

3.a) I need to SOMETIMES assign a callback to the option column that will uncheck all other options (like a radio ctrl), other times multiple selections are OK.  I can do this if I can reliably figure out in which row the option that triggered the callback resides (I need people to be able to select via mouse or keyboard).

3.b) In some cases I may want one option completely disabled (in other words one row disabled).  However, I still need the row to list.  In these cases removing the option ctrl is acceptable.

Well, Ctrls part of ArrayCtrl seems to be really deficient.

I was thinking about the issue a lot and really the problem seems to be that we have stepped out of U++ paradigm here, introducing class factory, which is nice to solve simple problems, but fails with more complicated ones.

I plan to add some other interface for embeding widgets into ArrayCtrl that will rather use widgets that belong outside the ArrayCtrl (e.g. in the dialog). Something like:

struct MyDialog {
    Array<Option> option;

void OptionColumn(Ptr<Ctrl>& ctrl, int index)
    {
        ctrl = &option.At(index);
    }

MyDialog() {
        list.AddColumn("Options").Ctrls(THISBACK(OptionColumn));
    }
};

This way, you would have the full access to the list of options.

What do you think?

Mirek
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #9999 is a reply to message #9993] Wed, 13 June 2007 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
kcabobert wrote on Tue, 12 June 2007 17:04

I believe they are solving slightly different problem domains. E.g. ArrayCtrl is used even in DropList, it is just generic simple list designed to be used in various compositions, while GridCtrl has much richer interface, but sort of more specialized.

The reason it resides in separate package is more or less because it is too big to fit into CtrlLib. It is the same story as RichEdit...

Quote:

When I upgraded to the new upp version the Ctrls appears as gray boxes (in Windows, Linux, and Mac). My beta testers were less than pleased with the prospect of having to resize a column to check the box each time. I need to get an updated version of my software rolled out so I need to find a [quick] reliable solution.

Ops. Can you be more specific? What are grey boxes?
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #10000 is a reply to message #9999] Wed, 13 June 2007 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

I wasn't trying to demean the project...

Why did you think I thought so? Wink I did not.
Quote:

Is this correct? Why not add it to GridCtrl.h?

{
Set(r,aliases.Get(c),val);
}

Ok, I will add it. But you can use now:
grid(COLUMN_ID) = val
or
grid.Set(COLUMN_ID, val);
to set value of cell in row pointed internally by rowidx. rowidx changes automaticaly if you add new row or change cursor position.
Quote:

The asm code doesn't compile right... but I assume that is on my end.
I get an error about line 918 ("inline Item& GetItem(int n, int m);"). It seems the function body is missing....

Please use latest dev package. All those problems should be corrected there.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 June 2007 10:38]

Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #10001 is a reply to message #9991] Wed, 13 June 2007 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, after more thinking, what about this simple (U++-ish Smile solution:

#include <CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>

using namespace Upp;

struct App : TopWindow {
	Array<Option> option;
	ArrayCtrl a;

void Do(int ii)
	{
		option[ii].SetFocus();
		for(int i = 0; i < option.GetCount(); i++)
			option[i].Enable(i == ii || option[ii]);
	}

typedef App CLASSNAME;

App() {
		a.AddColumn("Option");
		for(int i = 0; i < 300; i++) {
			a.Add(i & 4);
			a.SetCtrl(i, 0, option.Add().SetLabel("Test"));
			option.Top() <<= THISBACK1(Do, i);
		}
		a.SetLineCy(Draw::GetStdFontCy() + 8);
		Add(a.SizePos());
		Sizeable();
	}
};

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
	App().Run();
}

Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #10017 is a reply to message #10001] Wed, 13 June 2007 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is my response to several posts:

Quote:

OK, after more thinking, what about this simple (U++-ish) solution:

That is very similar to what I was previously doing... when I was getting the grey boxes. See the attached image.

I liked that method and everything was fine... expect the funky boxes.

Quote:

Ok, I will add it. But you can use now:
grid(COLUMN_ID) = val
or
grid.Set(COLUMN_ID, val);
to set value of cell in row pointed internally by rowidx. rowidx changes automaticaly if you add new row or change cursor position.

Well, that is fine, but it does not address my issue. I need to be able to set a cell's value that is in a different row than the cursor. I do not always know the column position... but I do know the column name. Hence the need for a Set( row, col_id, value ) method.

Is there another way to do this that I missed? If so please let me know.

Robert
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #10021 is a reply to message #10017] Thu, 14 June 2007 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

Well, that is fine, but it does not address my issue. I need to be able to set a cell's value that is in a different row than the cursor. I do not always know the column position... but I do know the column name. Hence the need for a Set( row, col_id, value ) method.

Set(row, Id, value) is already in UVS.
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #10059 is a reply to message #9991] Mon, 18 June 2007 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there a SetCtrlValue methods in the new version as well?

rk
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #10061 is a reply to message #9991] Mon, 18 June 2007 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My initial suggestion was wrong. It should rather be something like:

{
Set(r,aliases.Get(c)-fixed_cols,val);
}

Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #10065 is a reply to message #9991] Mon, 18 June 2007 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also think you have some inconsistent behavior with Get{...} and Set{...}. Some appear to auto-adjust for the Fixed{Column,Row} count and some do not.

For example, when using a index from 0 to GetCount to check the value of a particular column, and set the cell equal to zero if the cell value is one, I have to specify the FixedCount offset when getting values... but not when setting values.

Consider the below snippet:
	const int	offset	= gridctrl.GetFixedCount(),
			pos		= gridctrl.GetCursor();

if ( atoi(gridctrl.Get("checked").ToString())==1 )
		for ( int t=0; t<gridctrl.GetCount(); t++ )
			if ( (t!=pos) && (atoi(gridctrl.Get(t+offset,"checked").ToString())==1)) {
				gridctrl.Set(t,"checked",0);
			}

[Updated on: Mon, 18 June 2007 20:28]

Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #10068 is a reply to message #10061] Mon, 18 June 2007 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

You're right as long as you use Set(), but inside GridCtrl I use Set0 which counts columns/rows with fixed ones, so aliases.Get(c) is perfectly fine in my case.
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #10069 is a reply to message #10065] Mon, 18 June 2007 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

I also think you have some inconsistent behavior with Get{...} and Set{...}. Some appear to auto-adjust for the Fixed{Column,Row} count and some do not.

You're right. It looks like I missed this one:
Value GridCtrl::Get(int r, const char * alias)
{
	return Get0(r, aliases.Get(alias));
}

It's fixed now! Thanks.
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #10073 is a reply to message #10069] Mon, 18 June 2007 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your code snippet it how it looks now... so I don't get it. Do I need to modify Get0?

Or, better yet, is there a newer (at least as stable) version I can download and use?

Robert
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #10074 is a reply to message #10073] Mon, 18 June 2007 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

I put here current implementation of GridCtrl::Get(row, Id) to show there is no r + fixed_rows as you suggested, but only r. I modified it and now it's in current uvs (internal versioning system of U++). I will release a new dev release and update SVN as only I get my main computer working. Sorry for shortcuts in my answers Smile
Re: Ctrls<>() Callback / Disable some rows [message #10075 is a reply to message #9991] Mon, 18 June 2007 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
I think I have found another glitch... possibly in my code, but I don't think so.

I have two columns, one with checkboxes, one with names. Sometimes when I press the space bar is checks the PREVIOUSLY selected rows checkbox, not the currently selected row.

This behaviour is spuradic, and as I type this I can not reproduce it. Encountered this before?
Previous Topic: GridCtrl align text in column
Next Topic: GridCtrl - Child Ctrl, selected row, focus issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 21:48:00 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02937 seconds