FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » WebWord - Turtle reference example issue
WebWord - Turtle reference example issue [message #49743] Wed, 18 April 2018 10:05 Go to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Was not sure where to put this, so I ended up here at the coffee corner... (Feel free to move this wherever it belongs.)

Anyway, I do not seem to be able to make WebWord reference example work. It compiles and links OK. When connecting to it at address 127.0.0.1:8088 from Firefox, I just get a 'Connection closed.' -dialog with an OK button. The terminal shows:

Accepted, header read
Sending HTML

I tried this on LinuxMint using both GCC and CLANG compilers. No difference there.

I think this used to work some years ago.

Best regards,

Tom
Re: WebWord - Turtle reference example issue [message #49744 is a reply to message #49743] Wed, 18 April 2018 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
I can confirm this on Linux.
It is not working.

At first glance I can see in Turtle/Server.cpp, ln: 142-3 that for some reason no event is signalled and it waits forever:

Quote:

while(!IsWaitingEvent())
GuiSleep(10);

Also, WebSocket::WebAccep(): sets the opcode to READING_FRAME_HEADER, but does nothing. (Shouldn't it process the command? Is this intended? I see that this method is kep for backward compatibility)

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Wed, 18 April 2018 14:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: WebWord - Turtle reference example issue [message #49745 is a reply to message #49744] Wed, 18 April 2018 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Thanks, Oblivion. I found out that it is not working on Windows either.

The reason I'm currently tinkering with TURTLE is that I'm looking into a possibility to create a control application that runs on an embedded Linux (or Windows) computer offering its GUI over wireless network to phones and tablets using TURTLE.

Best regards,

Tom
Re: WebWord - Turtle reference example issue [message #49799 is a reply to message #49745] Tue, 08 May 2018 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Hopefully fixed.

That said, Turtle is experimantal feature and I am not aware any real world application. If you find a real use for it, please let me know, there are difinitely parts I would like to improve.

Mirek
Re: WebWord - Turtle reference example issue [message #49801 is a reply to message #49799] Tue, 08 May 2018 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Thanks,
It's now working fine. And as far as I can see Turtle is pretty impressive.
However I am more interested in this VirtualGui thing.
What is it really?
Will it allow me to create a remote desktop connection between U++ apps, and possibly with other apps, e.g. via SSH? (Wtihout relying on X server, or HTMl5 canvas capable web browser)
That would be awesome.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Tue, 08 May 2018 15:07]

Re: WebWord - Turtle reference example issue [message #49803 is a reply to message #49801] Tue, 08 May 2018 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Oblivion wrote on Tue, 08 May 2018 15:01
Thanks,
It's now working fine. And as far as I can see Turtle is pretty impressive.
However I am more interested in this VirtualGui thing.
What is it really?

Means to implement minimal GUI with minimal effort. All you have to implement is about 10 methods of VirtualGui interface (plus you need some Draw, at minimum all you need is to provide DrawImage and DrawRect,with the help of SDraw).

It is not 'fully integrated' GUI with the host as it contains sort of "window manager" too.

I am actually planning to convert Turtle to VirtualGui.

Quote:

Will it allow me to create a remote desktop connection between U++ apps, and possibly with other apps, e.g. via SSH? (Wtihout relying on X server, or HTMl5 canvas capable web browser)
That would be awesome.

Yes, the only downside is that it is not possible to have it running alongside some other GUI. Only single GUI is possible for the app.
Re: WebWord - Turtle reference example issue [message #49806 is a reply to message #49803] Tue, 08 May 2018 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Mirek,

Thanks! I will test soon.

BTW: Would it alternatively be difficult to create a turtle application without the window frame, i.e. in a way that the full page area in the browser would be the application window's client area? When working with a single window application (potentially with menus and dialogs on top) the extra window frame just wastes space on a small smart phone display.

Best regards,

Tom
Re: WebWord - Turtle reference example issue [message #49808 is a reply to message #49806] Tue, 08 May 2018 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Tue, 08 May 2018 16:25
Hi Mirek,

Thanks! I will test soon.

BTW: Would it alternatively be difficult to create a turtle application without the window frame, i.e. in a way that the full page area in the browser would be the application window's client area? When working with a single window application (potentially with menus and dialogs on top) the extra window frame just wastes space on a small smart phone display.

Best regards,

Tom

Actually, that how it is meant to work....

I guess TopMost should work. If it does not, it will after I refactor Turtle. That said, I am not going to do that without somebody actually using Turtle Smile
Re: WebWord - Turtle reference example issue [message #49810 is a reply to message #49808] Wed, 09 May 2018 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wqcmaster is currently offline  wqcmaster
We would have the request for a variant of WebWord Turtle VirtualGUI.
Our current AIBWord (UWord variant) is part of our application.
For our application is currently planning the WEB service connection (XMLRPC is more diligence, RESTFull is still, SOAP is labor intensive)
The implementation as an HTML client will be only a follow-up request thereafter. And so the WEBWord Turtle variant becomes interesting.
In customer discussions, these requirements were already considered as an interesting approach.

But for our AIBWord, another requirement is currently in the works or will be resumed soon: introducing footers similar to the headers in spreadsheets. For us, the calculation in RichTable :: Realize (...) is not so easy to understand. Currently, the footer of the table is drawn at the wrong place and wrong extent. Therefore, this feature has been postponed for another month (also due to other requirements in the application).
Re: WebWord - Turtle reference example issue [message #49811 is a reply to message #49808] Wed, 09 May 2018 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Mirek,

Thanks, now it works from Firefox on localhost. (Tested on Windows 10.) Adding TopMost() did not change anything.

However, if I try to connect from an another computer running Firefox over the LAN (or from my Android phone over WLAN) I still receive "Connection closed." on the browser and the running Webword console shows again:

Accepted, header read
Sending HTML
Accepted, header read
Sending HTML

Should I change Webword some way to support external access... ?

I'm surely interested on this because a working Turtle GUI would open new possibilities. I cannot confirm production status for it yet. In any case I think that small embedded (blackbox) computers running all kinds of control applications based on Turtle GUI would give a very productive approach to accessing their configuration settings. Just a smart phone or a tablet with browser. No need for any special Android or iOS apps. This way the control logic and the GUI can both be programmed in the familiar U++ environment which is a great benefit.

Best regards,

Tom

[Updated on: Wed, 09 May 2018 09:54]

Re: WebWord - Turtle reference example issue [message #49998 is a reply to message #49811] Thu, 14 June 2018 20:32 Go to previous message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
I checked WebWord on both Linux (Ubuntu 18.04) and Windows (8.1) with the latest source code and got the same problem on both platforms: it works in Debug configuration, and it doesn't work in Release, although I'm getting "Accepted, header read Sending HTML" messages. It sometimes displays a "Connection Closed" dialog, which quickly disappears.

Am I doing something wrong?

Another observation. WebWord spends most of its time inside of Ctrl::StartSession() endlessly calling socket.Accept(server). It looks like server doesn't have any timeout associated with it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: Why not translate this whole project into Aramaic?
Next Topic: Is it time for a dark theme?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:23:32 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00957 seconds