FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » A terminal emulator widget for U++
Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #52143 is a reply to message #52139] Sat, 27 July 2019 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hello Koldo,

Yeah it's very impressive tool. I enjoyed it.
It also helps a lot for testing.

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #52153 is a reply to message #51415] Mon, 29 July 2019 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

A small but important update.

True/direct (24-bit) color support has landed.

It is added as a compile-time option this time. (It can be easily switched using TheIDE)
The reason for this decision is that true color support increases the size of each cell by 4 bytes. (Not worriyingly high but I'm being cautious. Smile )

Latest code of terminal package can be found at: https://github.com/ismail-yilmaz/upp-components/tree/master/ CtrlLib/Terminal

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Mon, 29 July 2019 23:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #52179 is a reply to message #51415] Fri, 02 August 2019 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Latest round of updates:

Terminal: Clipboard and DND operations improved.
Terminal: Drag animation for drag-copy operation implemented.
Terminal: WhenClip event added. (Allows client code to inspect/accept/reject pasted/dropped clips.
Terminal: Api doc updated accordingly.

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #52195 is a reply to message #51415] Wed, 07 August 2019 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Terminal package is updated.
Initial support for a rare but much requested feature in the world of terminal emulators has landed:

- Sixel graphics support is added to the Terminal package. It is now possible to view sixel images, using the Terminal package.  However, the initial support is only for external viewing. Embedded images are a TODO.

- A basic terminal example with sixel viewer is also added to the package.

- SixelRenderer class and a convenience function: RenderSixelImage is also added to the package. This class and the function can also be used as a stand-alone sixel renderer.

- Alt-key handling is improved.

A screenshot:

index.php?t=getfile&id=5882&private=0

The git repo address of upp-components: https://github.com/ismail-yilmaz/upp-components

Reviews, criticism, patches, bug reports, etc., are always welcome.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Wed, 07 August 2019 21:44]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #52227 is a reply to message #51415] Mon, 12 August 2019 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

A small update on the progress of the Terminal ctrl's embedded image (sixel, etc.) support. Cool
(Note that I have yet to push changes. I'll problably push the changes next week, as there are some minor issues to solve.)

index.php?t=getfile&id=5891&private=0

This will not break the existing behavior. Sixel support will be available in both embedded and external mode.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Mon, 12 August 2019 11:40]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #52252 is a reply to message #51415] Fri, 16 August 2019 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

A day for big updates Smile

Terminal ctrl has gained embedded images and Upp::Display support.

Terminal: Embedded images support  is added (currently, sixel).
Terminal: Renderer is improved and further optimized.
Terminal: Upp::Display support for image objects are added.
Terminal: LeftAlignedImageDisplay() and RightAlingnedImageDisplay() functions added.

Screenshot:

index.php?t=getfile&id=5894&private=0

You can always find the new version here:

https://github.com/ismail-yilmaz/upp-components/tree/master/ CtrlLib/Terminal

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Fri, 16 August 2019 14:35]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #52415 is a reply to message #51415] Sun, 22 September 2019 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Terminal package is finally updated to v0.2.

Image rendering and handling mechanism is vastly improved. Smile

- Terminal: SixelRenderer class is rewritten;
- Terminal: SixelRaster class, a StreamRaster interface for sixel images, is added to the package.
- Terminal: A subset of xterm's window-op reports are implemented.
- Terminal: An I/O synchronization issue with the PtyProcess class that led to artifacts on screen on some setups is fixed.
- Terminal: Inline image support is improved.
- Terminal: Room is made for other inline image protocols.
- Terminal: WhenSixel event is removed in favor of a generic WhenImage event.
- Terminal: Image rendering strategy is changed to cell-level rendering for further flexibility.
- Terminal: An LRU-type shared image data cache is implemented.
- Terminal: Support for Jexer, a modern text user interface (TUI) and windowing system for terminal emulators, is added.
- Terminal: A general purpose data variable is added to the cell structure.
- Terminal: SGR image flag is added to the cell structure.
- Examples: Examples are further simplified.
- Various optimizations and fixes.
- Image gallery is updated.

The "final boss" for this release was the jexer support. Jexer is a modern text user interface and window manager that runs inside terminal emulators. (It is an advanced terminal multiplexer.)

There were only four high-end terminal emulators (xterm, mlterm, rlogin and jexer itself) fully supporting the jexer, Now they are five Smile

I've made short videos of Terminal ctrl.
The ssh terminal example on windows also demonstrates the power of Core/SSH package. (It connects to a Linux device over 300 km distance, and runs jexer with inline images support, which is very demanding). Cool

On Linux
- A basic terminal example with sixel graphics, and mouse tracking support.
- Used apps and tools: Jexer text user interface (TUI), GNUPlot, Emacs, Nano, htop, ncurses demos.
- Link: https://vimeo.com/359241367

On Windows
- A basic SSH2 terminal example with sixel graphics, and mouse tracking support.
- Used apps and tools: Jexer text user interface.
- Link: https://vimeo.com/361556973

On Turtle HTML-5 backend (in a web browser)
- A basic terminal example with sixel graphics, and mouse tracking support.
- Used apps and tools: Jexer text user interface.
- Link: https://vimeo.com/361558519

Screenshot (Windows, ssh terminal example):

index.php?t=getfile&id=5912&private=0

Terminal@: https://github.com/ismail-yilmaz/upp-components/tree/master/ CtrlLib/Terminal

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Sun, 22 September 2019 12:46]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #52438 is a reply to message #51415] Sat, 28 September 2019 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

A new example is added to the package: Ssh terminal splitter.

This example demonstrates the interaction between the Terminal widget and Ultimate++'s Core/SSH package, in a multithreaded environment.
Therefore it also demonstrates the usage and power of U++s own Core/SSH package in a multithreaded GUI environment.

Link to a short video showing the ssh terminal splitter in action on Windows:

https://vimeo.com/362532208

A screenshot taken from the above video:

index.php?t=getfile&id=5915&private=0

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Sat, 28 September 2019 22:02]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #52644 is a reply to message #51415] Sun, 03 November 2019 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Terminal package and Terminal ctrl is updated.

There are fixes and clean-ups here and there, but most notably a new feature is added:

Terminal ctrl is now able to display 24-bit jpeg, gif, bmp, etc. raster formats, using the Jexer Image Protocol and Upp's own StreamRaster interface.

This means that if the raster images you are working with have registered decoders in upp/plugins, or somewhere else, Terminal ctrl will be able to display it.

Four main benefits of this inline images protocol is:

1) It is "8-bit clean". It can be safely deliver images over the network, and with Utf-8.
2) Popular image formats can be decoded much faster than sixels. (Up to 8 to 10 times faster on bigger image files), and usually have a lower bandwidth requirements.
3) Allows 24 bit (true color) images.
4) The wire protocol is very simple.

Screenshot with 24 bit images:
(Taken from the pre-alpha version of Toad, a cross-platform, multithreaded SSH2 client with tabs and splitter support, that will be available in -hopefully- January 2020):

index.php?t=getfile&id=5924&private=0

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #52684 is a reply to message #51415] Sun, 10 November 2019 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

A new week, and another update with new features. Smile

- Explicit hyperlinks support is added.
- Standard menu  improved and modularized.
- Cell tracking methods are implemented.
- Various fixes and cosmetics.
- Docs are updated accordingly.

Explicit hyperlinks are currently supported by GCC, ls, systemd, and a number of other high profile products.
One advantage of this hyperlinks protocol is that it is relatively well-defined and cheap.

To test it on linux, compile the TerminalExample, and run an updated version of the "ls" command:

ls -l --hyperlink

Gif:

https://media.giphy.com/media/Vd32ubXONJJdnhovpE/giphy.gif

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Sun, 10 November 2019 23:23]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #52697 is a reply to message #51415] Tue, 12 November 2019 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I have pushed another update, which contains features that were brewing for a while:

- Terminal: Rectangle selection is now supported.
- Terminal: Iniline images can now be copied to clipboard or sent to client. (It uses the same mechanism as hyperlinks: CTRL + double click or context menu)
- Terminal: Options menu is implemented. Options menu contains the most relevant options for terminal. 

Screenshot:

index.php?t=getfile&id=5933&private=0

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #52700 is a reply to message #51415] Tue, 12 November 2019 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
As a last minute bonus:

DnD operations and animations are added for both hyperlinks and inline images. (Activated with CTRL-key modifier)

Smile

Gif:

https://media.giphy.com/media/XZ0ohRJVbacfg0KFcc/giphy.gif

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #53262 is a reply to message #51415] Wed, 25 March 2020 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Three months of silence is finally broken. Smile

Terminal package is scheduled to be updated to v0.3 on April 6, 2020.

Meanwhile the package has seen tons of improvements. (Note that the changes are not pushed to git yet).

Some highlights of the upcoming version:

- Initial steps for scripting support (using the Esc language).
- A proper double-width (Eastern-Asian/CJK) characters support.
- A proper tmux/screen support.
- A proper support for ISO 8613-6 true/indexed color formats.
- A much faster renderer. (In some torture tests (such as ncurses/dots on fulscreen mode) the performance gain can be up to %80.

And much more... (full list will be available with the release).

I am currently testing the package for regressions.

To whet yout appetite (tmux/screen, on Linux):

index.php?t=getfile&id=6022&private=0

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Wed, 25 March 2020 14:34]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #53277 is a reply to message #53262] Wed, 25 March 2020 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deep is currently offline  deep
Experienced Member
Hi Oblivion

For double-width font support are you using Harfbuzz? Will it support Indic scripts?

Quote:
- A proper double-width (Eastern-Asian/CJK) characters support.

Warm Regards

Deepak
Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #53290 is a reply to message #53277] Thu, 26 March 2020 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Deepak,

Quote:
Will it support Indic scripts?

This is my intention, with other scripts (Arabic, etc.) and Bi-directional rendering.

But unfortunately it will not happen in the upcoming v0.3 release.
At the moment what I can provide is double witdth support for CJK ideographs and other double width Asian characters.

As for the harfbuzz, currently I am using what U++ uses on GTK and/or X11.
And AFAIK, GTK 3.x uses harfbuzz by default.

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #53542 is a reply to message #51415] Fri, 10 April 2020 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

The day has come. Terminal package is upgraded to v0.3. Smile

This is a huge release, with lots of changes, fixes, additions and improvements.

I am not going to list every change but some highlights here. If you want to see the full list, please check out the git history.

- Source code is restructured.
- Console class is ditched for the sake of simplicity. There is now only Terminal, deriving from Upp:CTrl.
- Eastern-Asian/CJK double width characters support is added.
- Text overline attribute is now supported.
- APCs (application programming commands) are now supported. This is the first step towards terminal scripting feature. APCs can be also be used by client code for private purposes.
- TRUECOLOR flag is removed. Terminal ctrl is now fully and officially a true color terminal emulator.
- Accordingly, CMY and CMYK color spaces are now supported too!
- Support for color text specifications (rgb, hash3, hash6, hash9, hash12) are added.
- xterm window actions are reports are implemented. It is now possible for host apps to move, resize, minimize, maximize, fullscreen the terminal.
- Renderer has seen a significat performance boost (up to 80% on some torture tests).
- tmux/screen is fully supported.
- Hyperlinks now show nice dots under their texts when they are "inactive" (i.e. no mouse hovering over them)
- API docs and specifications docs are significantly improved.

But how compliant is it?

Using George Nachmann's (iTerm2's developer) excellent and comprehensive test suite (it is analogous to the browser standard compliance tests), esctest, the results are as follows:

expected-terminal=xterm
max-vt-level=4

Terminal ctrl: v0.3, passed 407 tests, failed on 101 tests, 

Terminal ctrl: v0.2 passed only 160 of the same tests.

Let us now look at the latest stable version of Gnome terminal and Kitty, with same settings:

expected-terminal=xterm
max-vt-level=4

Gnome Terminal (v.3.36.1.1): passed 163 tests and failed on 345 tests.

Kitty: passed 122 tests, and failed on 386 tests.

xterm: Fassed all tests. (not suprisingly) 

Keep in mind that I am not even implying that Terminal ctrl is better. (It isn't. Gnome Terminal is a very high quality product with excellent features).

I am simply pointing out where our VT engine stands on the xterm compliance front (since xterm is the defacto standard), and the progress made with the nev version.

Hyperlinks with dots:

index.php?t=getfile&id=6040&private=0

You can find the new version on my git repo.

If you have any questions, suggestions, bug reports, patches, feature requests, etc. please feel free to contact me via my github address or this forum topic.

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Fri, 10 April 2020 11:40]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #53551 is a reply to message #51415] Sat, 11 April 2020 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
A last minute bonus:

Terminal ctrl now supports the popular iTerm2's inline image protocol too. Smile
(See api and specification docs for more details)

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #53639 is a reply to message #51415] Fri, 17 April 2020 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Terminal ctrl has received a small but important update:

Autowrap mode is fixed.

The mode setting somehow got lost in the v0.2 -> v0.3 transition. Embarassed

I recommend you to update the package as the autowrap feature is widely used by command line applications.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Fri, 17 April 2020 22:31]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #53690 is a reply to message #51415] Tue, 21 April 2020 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Terminal has gained two small features.

- Jsonization support is added.
- Xmlization support is added.

It is now possible to store/load the configuration (including color table) of Terminal ctrl instances in/from xml and json files, in a human readable form.

Also, missing tester methods (i.e, Isxxx()/Hasxxx()) are added and docs are updated accordingly.

Best regards,
Oblivion.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 April 2020 18:37]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #53704 is a reply to message #51415] Wed, 22 April 2020 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Senior Contributor
A small but important news is that I've found a bottleneck in the Terminal ctrl's code that was puzzling me for some time.
It was in the display update and scrolling mechanism. Hopefully I have fixed it. Smile

However, I won't push the change to github before I test it thoroughly and be sure it doesn't break anything.

It appears that, after the fix, Terminal ctrl will be one of the most fastest out there.

Below statistics are the average results of a test automatically run 100 times:

All terminal emulators use the same font/page size settings, and run on Gnome 3.36

Results of command: time find /usr/share

Terminal Emulator                  real         user        sys
-----------------                 ----------   ----------   ----------
Terminal Ctrl (Current):          0m23,104s    0m1,297s     0m2,879s
Terminal Ctrl (with fix):       **0m4,002s     0m0,774s     0m1,622s**
xterm                             0m15,059s    0m0,991s     0m2,527s
Gnome Terminal                    0m4,217s     0m0,778s     0m1,773s
Kitty                             0m4,907s     0m0,887s     0m2,325s

If everything goes well, I will push this change next week.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Wed, 22 April 2020 18:55]

Previous Topic: Added HDF5 library
Next Topic: Uppsrc on UppHub
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:18:18 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01050 seconds