Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » ScatterDraw & ScatterCtrl » Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip.
Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #51787] Thu, 30 May 2019 12:07 Go to next message
Maginor is currently offline  Maginor
Hi,

I have come across a few things that I think could be improved for scientific plotting. I respect that this project is done on people's free time, I am just throwing in some ideas that are of course just my opinion.

I have a graph of daily values. I can use grid unit formatting to get the X axis to display the dates just fine. However, my problem is that the grid lines show up at fairly "random" places. For instance, if I zoom out far enough, I want the grid lines to be at Jan. 1st of every year, but if I zoom in more, I want them to be at the 1st of each month etc (whatever more closely fits the desired amount of grid lines). There could also be some steps in between such as showing a line each half year or each quarter year when appropriate.

This is a graph that the user can freely zoom around in, so it has to be able to update this dynamically.

There does not seem to be any native support for this, and the only way I can see to set the grid lines is by setting their beginning, spacing and count. This will not work for this purpose since Jan. 1st of each year is not equally spaced because of leap years, and similarly months are not equally spaced.

Moreover, I sometimes have data series of just monthly or yearly values, and in those cases I would like the grid lines (of the X axis) to be only where there are data points, never in between.

Another thing I am looking for is that I would like to tell the plot to try to snap grid lines to round values as a default. I.e. I want lines at (0.25, 0.5, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75) rather than (0.05, 0.67, 1.3, 1.92) even if my Y axis happens to range from (0.05 to 1.92). This is something I can do myself just by doing some computations, so it is not a big deal, but it would be nice to have it as an option.

Another thing (Sorry!!):
The tooltip (SHOW_INFO action) in ScatterCtrl shows the x and y position of the cursor. I would like an option for it to show the y value of the graph at that x point (i.e. show (x, f(x)) rather than (x, y)).

If there are multiple graphs, I'm not sure how that should be handled, but maybe either show a list of the values of all the graphs or just show the value of the closest graph to the cursor.
If it is a scatter plot rather than a continuous line plot, it would maybe be good to show the value of the closest point on the graph. Similarly, for bar plots it would be good to show the values of the closest bar.

Again, I am very thankful that this library exists at all. I am just throwing in some ideas.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 May 2019 12:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #51790 is a reply to message #51787] Thu, 30 May 2019 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Maginor

Thank you, all your comments are valid.

You propose interesting features. Some of them can be solved using cbModifFormat* callbacks, but not all. A feature I have never known how to do it is a general and precise zooming algorithm: advices are really acknowledged!

Other feature always waiting to be implemented has been to choose series and series points with a mouse click. If you need this, It will be implemented.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52229 is a reply to message #51790] Mon, 12 August 2019 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think all my problems with irregular spacing of grid lines would be solved if I could set grid lines explicitly instead of just min, and unit.

So for instance there could be functions

ScatterCtrl& SetGridLinesX(Vector<double>& GridLinesX);
ScatterCtrl& SetGridLinesY(Vector<double>& GridLinesY);

And then inside the WhenZoomScroll callback, I could just compute the grid lines I want myself and set them using these functions.

I'm not sure what you mean by a zooming algorithm. In what sense?
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52240 is a reply to message #52229] Tue, 13 August 2019 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hi Maginor

The problem with zoom is that the grid spacing would have to be adequate with different zoom levels and scroll. From example:
- If X goes from 0 to 10, spacing could be every 2 (2, 4, 6, 8 )
- If X goes from 321 to 501, spacing could be every 40 (361, 401, 441, 481)... or adjusted to more rounded values, every 50, like (350, 400, 450, 500)

Maybe as an intermediate solution, we could add something similar to that you propose, although, instead of returning a Vector<double>&, I would propose to add a callback returning Vector<double>&, with the values of the grid positions adequate to that level of zoom.

What do you think?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52241 is a reply to message #52240] Wed, 14 August 2019 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I think that is a good idea. With custom grid lines you definitely need to update them at every change in zoom level any way, so that would do what I need it to.
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52246 is a reply to message #52241] Thu, 15 August 2019 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Maginor

They are already included and documented, but I have not had time to include them in an example. Please test them:
	Callback1<Vector<double>&> SetGridLinesX;
	Callback1<Vector<double>&> SetGridLinesY;

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52248 is a reply to message #51787] Fri, 16 August 2019 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a lot! I will test them now.
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52249 is a reply to message #51787] Fri, 16 August 2019 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, it almost works now. It is correct initially, but when I pan the plot sideways the grid lines slide in the wrong direction, while the text reticles are correct (and so become unaligned with the grid lines).

As far as I can see from the code in ScatterDraw::Plot, it seems like the grid lines are drawn with reference to the right of the plot instead of the left?

Here is an example callback where this happens.
void PlotCtrl::UpdateDateGridLinesX(Vector<double> &LinesOut)
{
	//InputStartDate is X=0. X resolution is daily

double XMin = Plot.GetXMin();
	double XRange = Plot.GetXRange();

Date FirstDate = InputStartDate + (int)XMin;
	int FirstYear = FirstDate.year; //+1?
	Date LastDate = FirstDate + (int)XRange;
	int LastYear = LastDate.year;

Date IterDate(FirstYear, 1, 1);
	for(int Year = FirstYear; Year <= LastYear; ++Year)
	{
		IterDate.year = Year;
		double XVal = (double)(IterDate - InputStartDate) - XMin;
                if(XVal > 0 && XVal < XRange)
		        LinesOut << XVal;
	}
}

(Plot is a ScatterCtrl, InputStartDate is just a reference date for X=0).
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52250 is a reply to message #51787] Fri, 16 August 2019 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I edit ScatterDraw::Plot so that grid x positions are computed in the same way as reticle positions, then things work correctly.
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52253 is a reply to message #52250] Sat, 17 August 2019 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Sorry Maginor

X axis zoomed badly. Please check it now.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52254 is a reply to message #52253] Mon, 19 August 2019 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, it works now!

I't awesome that you were this quick to implement the new feature! I can get exactly the behavior I want out of the graph now.
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52261 is a reply to message #52254] Tue, 20 August 2019 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Maginor

I am sorry that because of summer time I could support you slower.

A problem to develop this control is to have adequate examples of behaviour of similar controls in other systems, including the source code of control calls if possible. For example, user zoom and scroll behaviour.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52262 is a reply to message #51787] Tue, 20 August 2019 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, you are probably aware of these, but just in case...

qcustomplot is open source (GPL license, but it should be possible to take general ideas from it without direct copying):
https://www.qcustomplot.com/

Then there is the python library matplotlib (backend is implemented in c++)
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52264 is a reply to message #52262] Wed, 21 August 2019 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Thank you Maginor

I will review qcustomplot. I do not have python.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52271 is a reply to message #52264] Fri, 23 August 2019 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deep is currently offline  deep
Experienced Member
Audacity plotting is fast. Also it represents correct plot of large data set.
It can serve as good example for large data set.

www.audacityteam.org

Warm Regards

Deepak
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52296 is a reply to message #52271] Sat, 31 August 2019 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hello Deep and Koldo,

It think I have exactly what you need but it is not directly applyable to ScatterCtrl (I use it with my own plotting ctrl which has different grid/axis management).

* it does exactly what you want with ordinary numeric grids
* it does the it's best whith dates (or at least what seemed good for my needs Smile.
since months don't have the same number of days : 29, 30 or 31, it get's quite difficult to have something good looking)
* it also manages LOG grid steps
* any custom grid calculation can be plugged in using the setGridStepCalcBack() method

NOTE : the nbr of grid steps takes in account the screen size of the plot

I use dedicated classes to manage the grid steps

The strategy is the following:
* when zoom/scroll/resize ==> recompute the grid which sets an array (_stepDrawingParams) containing all the info for the calculated grid steps (position, text to be displayed, and custom data )
* when drawing needed : the array is used to get the information on the steps

What you are searching for is int the following methods:
			void stdGridStepCalcCbk(CLASSNAME& gridStepManager, CoordinateConverter& coordConv );
			void log10GridStepCalcCbk(CLASSNAME& gridStepManager, CoordinateConverter& coordConv );
			void dateGridStepCalcCbk(CLASSNAME& gridStepManager, CoordinateConverter& coordConv );
			void timeGridStepCalcCbk(CLASSNAME& gridStepManager, CoordinateConverter& coordConv );

Here is the class I use for this.

GridStepManager.h
#ifndef _GraphCtrl_GridStepManager_h_
#define _GraphCtrl_GridStepManager_h_

#include <limits>

namespace GraphDraw_ns
{

// ============================
	//    GridStepManager   CLASS
	// ============================
	class  GridStepData {
		public:
			unsigned int tickLevel;    // 0:Major tick    1:secondary tick    2: ....
			bool drawTickText;
			Size_<Upp::uint16>    textSize;
			TypeGraphCoord stepGraphValue;
			String 		   text;
			Value          customParams; // general purpose step parameter holder : filled when calculating the steps

GridStepData()
			: tickLevel(0)
			, drawTickText(true)
			{
			}
	};

class GridStepIterator {
		private:
			int _nbSteps;     // current step range (according to grid step)
			int _currentStep; // current step number
			CoordinateConverter& _coordConverter;
			GridStepData* const  _stepData; // points to steps parameters array (pre-calculated by GridStepManager)

public:
			typedef GridStepIterator CLASSNAME;

GridStepIterator( CoordinateConverter& conv, int nbSteps, GridStepData* stepData, int currentStep)
			: _nbSteps(nbSteps)
			, _currentStep(currentStep)
			, _coordConverter(conv)
			, _stepData(stepData)
			{}

GridStepIterator(const CLASSNAME& p)
			: _nbSteps(p._nbSteps)
			, _currentStep(p._currentStep)
			, _coordConverter(p._coordConverter)
			, _stepData(p._stepData)
			{}

public:
			inline bool operator==( const CLASSNAME& v) const { return( _currentStep==v._currentStep ); }
			inline bool operator!=( const CLASSNAME& v) const { return( _currentStep!=v._currentStep ); }
			inline operator TypeScreenCoord() const { return _coordConverter.toScreen( getGraphValue() ); }
			inline operator Size() const            { return Size(_stepData[_currentStep].textSize.cx, _stepData[_currentStep].textSize.cy); }
			inline operator String() const          { return _stepData[_currentStep].text; }
			GridStepData*    operator->()  { return _stepData + _currentStep; }

inline TypeGraphCoord getGraphValue()   const { return _stepData[_currentStep].stepGraphValue; }
			inline const Value& getCustomStepData() const { return _stepData[_currentStep].customParams; }
			inline unsigned int getTickLevel()      const { return _stepData[_currentStep].tickLevel; }
			inline bool drawTickText()              const { return _stepData[_currentStep].drawTickText; }
			inline TypeGraphCoord getGraphRange()   const { return _coordConverter.getSignedGraphRange(); }
			inline int getStepNum()                 const { return _currentStep; }
			inline int getNbSteps()                 const { return _nbSteps; }
			inline bool isFirst()                   const { return (_currentStep==0); }
			inline bool isLast()                    const { return (_currentStep==(_nbSteps-1)); }

inline CLASSNAME& toEnd()   { _currentStep = _nbSteps; return *this; }
			inline CLASSNAME& toBegin() { _currentStep = 0; return *this; }

// ++X
			inline CLASSNAME&  operator++()
			{
				++_currentStep;
				return *this;
			}

// X++
			CLASSNAME  operator++(int)
			{
				CLASSNAME tmp(*this);
				++_currentStep;
				return tmp;
			}
	};

typedef Callback2< const GridStepIterator&, String&> TypeFormatTextCbk; // IN: valueIterator,  OUT: formated value

class GridStepManager
	{
		public:
			enum { NB_MAX_STEPS = 100 };
			typedef GridStepManager  CLASSNAME;
			typedef GridStepIterator Iterator;
			typedef Callback2<CLASSNAME&, CoordinateConverter&> TypeGridStepCalcCallBack;

protected:
			double       _textSize;    // tick Text MAX Size  ( can be height or width )
			unsigned int _nbMaxSteps;  // steps range is : [0, _nbMaxSteps]
			unsigned int _nbSteps;     // current step range (according to grid step)
			unsigned int _currentStep; // current step number
			CoordinateConverter& _coordConverter;
			bool updateNeeded;

GridStepData   _stepDrawingParams[NB_MAX_STEPS+1]; // general purpose step parameter holder : filled when calculating the steps

TypeGridStepCalcCallBack _updateCbk;

ChangeStatus  coordConvLastStatus;

TypeGraphCoord  GetNormalizedStep(TypeGraphCoord  range) const
			{
				int e = 0;
				double s = Upp::normalize(range/(_nbMaxSteps+1), e);
				double sign = 1;
				if (s<0) sign = -1;

s = sign*s;
				if     ( (s>2) && (s<=5)  ) { s = 5; }
				else if( (s>1) && (s<=2)  ) { s = 2; }
				else if( (s>5) && (s<=10) ) { s = 1; e++; }
				else   { s = 1; }
				return sign * s * Upp::ipow10(e);
			}

template <class T>
			T  GetNormalizedStep(TypeGraphCoord  range, const Vector<T>& stepValues) const
			{
				double s = range/(_nbMaxSteps+1);
				T sign = 1;
				if (s<0) sign = -1;

s = sign*s;
				int c=0;
				while (c < stepValues.GetCount()-1) {
					if ( (s>stepValues[c]) && (s<=stepValues[c+1])  ) {
						s = stepValues[c+1];
						return sign*s;
					}
					++c;
				}
				if (c==stepValues.GetCount()) s = stepValues[0];
				return sign*s;
			}

TypeGraphCoord  GetGridStartValue(TypeGraphCoord  pstepValue, TypeGraphCoord pgraphMin) const
			{
				TypeGraphCoord res;
				long double stepValue = pstepValue;
				long double graphMin = pgraphMin;
				if (graphMin>=0) {
					res = ((Upp::int64)(graphMin/stepValue + 1.0 - std::numeric_limits<TypeGraphCoord>::epsilon()) ) * stepValue;
				} else {
					res = (((Upp::int64)(graphMin/stepValue) ) * stepValue);
				}
				if (res < pgraphMin) res = pgraphMin;
				return res;
			}

void stdGridStepCalcCbk(CLASSNAME& gridStepManager, CoordinateConverter& coordConv );
			void log10GridStepCalcCbk(CLASSNAME& gridStepManager, CoordinateConverter& coordConv );
			void dateGridStepCalcCbk(CLASSNAME& gridStepManager, CoordinateConverter& coordConv );
			void timeGridStepCalcCbk(CLASSNAME& gridStepManager, CoordinateConverter& coordConv );

public:
			GridStepManager(CoordinateConverter& coordConv)
			: _textSize(30)
			, _nbMaxSteps( Upp::min(15, (int)NB_MAX_STEPS) )
			, _currentStep( 0 )
			, _coordConverter( coordConv )
			{
				setStdGridSteps();
				UpdateGridSteps();
			}

GridStepManager(int nbSteps, int currStep, CoordinateConverter& coordConv)
			: _textSize(30)
			, _nbMaxSteps( Upp::max(5, Upp::min(nbSteps, (int)NB_MAX_STEPS)) )
			, _currentStep( currStep )
			, _coordConverter( coordConv )
			{
				setStdGridSteps();
				UpdateGridSteps();
			}

private:
			// explicitly forbidden to use
			CLASSNAME& operator=( const CLASSNAME& v) { return *this; }
			//GridStepManager()
			//: _textSize(30)
			//, _nbMaxSteps( 0)//CLASSNAME::NB_MAX_STEPS) )
			//, _currentStep( 0 )
			//, _coordConverter()
			//{}

public:
			void setGridStepCalcBack(TypeGridStepCalcCallBack cbk) { _updateCbk = cbk; updateNeeded = true; }
			void setStdGridSteps()                                 { _updateCbk = THISBACK(stdGridStepCalcCbk);   updateNeeded = true; }
			void setLogGridSteps()                                 { _updateCbk = THISBACK(log10GridStepCalcCbk); updateNeeded = true; }
			void setTimeGridSteps()                                { _updateCbk = THISBACK(timeGridStepCalcCbk);  updateNeeded = true; }
			void setDateGridSteps()                                { _updateCbk = THISBACK(dateGridStepCalcCbk);  updateNeeded = true; }

virtual ~GridStepManager() {}

virtual void UpdateGridSteps()
			{
				//RLOGBLOCK("UpdateGridSteps()");
				if ( updateNeeded || coordConvLastStatus.hasChangedUpdate(_coordConverter) ) {
					if (_textSize > 1.0) _nbMaxSteps = _coordConverter.getScreenRange()/_textSize;
					_updateCbk(*this, _coordConverter);
					updateNeeded = false;
				}
			}

void SetNbSteps(int nbSteps)
			{
				//_nbMaxSteps = nbSteps;
			}

int GetNbSteps() const { return _nbSteps; }

bool SetTextMaxSize(double textSize)
			{
				textSize *= 2;
				if ( _textSize < textSize) {
					if ( textSize/_textSize > 1.2) {
						//RLOG("> SetTextMaxSize(>1.2)(" << textSize << ")  old  _textSize=" << _textSize  <<  "  ---UPDATED---");
						_textSize = textSize;
						updateNeeded = true;
						return true;
					}
				} else {
					if (textSize/_textSize < 0.5) {
						//RLOG("> SetTextMaxSize(<0.5)(" << textSize << ")  old  _textSize=" << _textSize  <<  "  ---UPDATED---");
						_textSize = textSize;
						updateNeeded = true;
						return true;
					}
				}
				return false;
			}

Iterator End() {
				return GridStepIterator( _coordConverter, _nbSteps+1, _stepDrawingParams, _nbSteps+1);
			}

Iterator Begin() {
				return GridStepIterator( _coordConverter, _nbSteps+1, _stepDrawingParams, 0);
			}

};

};
#endif

GridStepManager.cpp
#include "GraphDraw.h"

#define GRIDLOG(a) // LOG(a)

NAMESPACE_UPP
namespace GraphDraw_ns
{
	void GridStepManager::stdGridStepCalcCbk(GridStepManager& gridStepManager, CoordinateConverter& coordConv )
	{
		TypeGraphCoord gridStepValue = GetNormalizedStep( (float)coordConv.getSignedGraphRange() ); // DO NOT REMOVE (float) ==> prevents artifacts du to range precision errors when scrolling  (ex: range changes from 14.000000000000052 to 13.99999999999997)
		TypeGraphCoord gridStartValue = GetGridStartValue( gridStepValue, coordConv.getGraphMin() );
		_nbSteps = (unsigned int)tabs((coordConv.getGraphMax() - gridStartValue) / gridStepValue);

if (_nbSteps > _nbMaxSteps) {
			_nbSteps = _nbMaxSteps;
		}

GRIDLOG("stdGrid [" << (int) this << "] ==============");
		// fill step values ==> used by gridStepIterator
		for (unsigned int c=0; c<_nbSteps+1; ++c) {
			_stepDrawingParams[c].stepGraphValue = gridStartValue + gridStepValue*c;
			_stepDrawingParams[c].drawTickText = 1;// ==> draw tick text
			GRIDLOG("stdGrid [" << (int) this << "]    - step["<< c <<"] = " << _stepDrawingParams[c].stepGraphValue );
		}
		GRIDLOG("stdGrid [" << (int) this << "]  SignedRange   =" << coordConv.getSignedGraphRange() );
		GRIDLOG("stdGrid [" << (int) this << "]  getGraphMin   =" << coordConv.getGraphMin() );
		GRIDLOG("stdGrid [" << (int) this << "]  getGraphMax   =" << coordConv.getGraphMax() );
		GRIDLOG("stdGrid [" << (int) this << "]  gridStartValue=" << gridStartValue );
		GRIDLOG("stdGrid [" << (int) this << "]  gridStepValue =" << gridStepValue );
		GRIDLOG("stdGrid [" << (int) this << "]    screenRange =" << coordConv.getScreenRange() );
		GRIDLOG("stdGrid [" << (int) this << "]    screenMin   =" << coordConv.getScreenMin() );
		GRIDLOG("stdGrid [" << (int) this << "]    screenMax   =" << coordConv.getScreenMax() );
		GRIDLOG("stdGrid [" << (int) this << "]  _nbSteps      =" << _nbSteps );
		GRIDLOG("stdGrid [" << (int) this << "]  _nbMaxSteps   =" << _nbMaxSteps );
		GRIDLOG("stdGrid [" << (int) this << "]  _textSize     =" << _textSize );

}

void GridStepManager::log10GridStepCalcCbk(GridStepManager& gridStepManager, CoordinateConverter& coordConv )
	{
		const double rangeFactor = coordConv.getGraphMax()/coordConv.getGraphMin();
		if ( rangeFactor < 10 ) {
			stdGridStepCalcCbk(gridStepManager, coordConv);
		}
		else
		{
			const double logRangeFactor = floor(log10(rangeFactor));
			int logStepValue = GetNormalizedStep( (float)logRangeFactor );
			if (logStepValue == 0) logStepValue = 1;

TypeGraphCoord gridStartValue =  GetGridStartValue(logStepValue, log10(coordConv.getGraphMin()));
			--gridStartValue;
			unsigned int nbLogSteps = (log10(coordConv.getGraphMax())-gridStartValue) / logStepValue;
			if (nbLogSteps > _nbMaxSteps) {
				nbLogSteps = _nbMaxSteps;
			}

double logStepDensity = 2;
			if ( nbLogSteps > 0 ) logStepDensity = (_nbMaxSteps*logStepValue)/logRangeFactor;

GRIDLOG("============================");
			GRIDLOG("log10  getGraphMin   =" << coordConv.getGraphMin() );
			GRIDLOG("log10  getGraphMax   =" << coordConv.getGraphMax() );
			GRIDLOG("log10  rangeFactor   =" << rangeFactorn );
			GRIDLOG("log10  logRangeFactor=" << logRangeFactor );
			GRIDLOG("log10  logStepValue  =" << double(logStepValue) );
			GRIDLOG("log10  gridStartValue=" << gridStartValue );
			GRIDLOG("log10  _nbMaxSteps   =" << _nbMaxSteps );
			GRIDLOG("log10  nbLogSteps    =" << nbLogSteps );
			GRIDLOG("log10  logStepDensity=" << logStepDensity );
			GRIDLOG("log10  _textSize     =" << _textSize );

// fill step values ==> used by gridStepIterator
			_nbSteps = -1;
			for (unsigned int c=0; c<(nbLogSteps+1); ++c)
			{
				double stepValue = pow( 10, gridStartValue + logStepValue*c );
				double currVal = stepValue;

if ( (currVal > coordConv.getGraphMin()) && (currVal < coordConv.getGraphMax())) {
					++_nbSteps;
					_stepDrawingParams[_nbSteps].drawTickText = 1; // ==> draw tick text
					_stepDrawingParams[_nbSteps].tickLevel = 0;
					_stepDrawingParams[_nbSteps].stepGraphValue = currVal;
				}
				currVal += stepValue;

typedef struct {
					bool isStep[9];
					bool displayText[9];
				} Log10Steps;

const Log10Steps* logSteps = 0;
				if (logStepDensity < 2. || logStepValue>1)
				{}
				else if (logStepDensity < 3.) {
					static const Log10Steps tmpLogSteps = {
						//1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
						{ 1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1},
						{ 1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0}
					};
					logSteps = &tmpLogSteps;
				} else if (logStepDensity < 5.) {
						//1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
						{ 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1},
						{ 1,1,0,0,1,0,0,0,0}
					};
					logSteps = &tmpLogSteps;
				} else if (logStepDensity < 7.) {
						//1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
						{ 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1},
						{ 1,1,1,0,1,0,0,0,0}
					};
					logSteps = &tmpLogSteps;
				} else if (logStepDensity < 11.) {
						//1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
						{ 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1},
						{ 1,1,1,1,1,0,1,0,0}
					};
					logSteps = &tmpLogSteps;
				}
				else
				{
						//1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
						{ 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1},
						{ 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}
					};
					logSteps = &tmpLogSteps;
				}
				// fill log steps according to desired pattern configured above
				if (logSteps) {
					for (unsigned int l=1; l < 9; ++l)
					{
						if (logSteps->isStep[l]) {
							if ( (currVal > coordConv.getGraphMin()) && (currVal < coordConv.getGraphMax())) {
								++_nbSteps;
								_stepDrawingParams[_nbSteps].drawTickText = logSteps->displayText[l];
								_stepDrawingParams[_nbSteps].stepGraphValue = currVal;
								_stepDrawingParams[_nbSteps].tickLevel = 1-logSteps->displayText[l];
							}
						}
						currVal += stepValue;
					}
				}
				GRIDLOG("log10  step[" << c << "] = " << _stepDrawingParams[c].stepGraphValue << "     nbLogSteps="<<nbLogSteps);
			}
		}
	}

void GridStepManager::dateGridStepCalcCbk(GridStepManager& gridStepManager, CoordinateConverter& coordConv )
	{
		Date dateRange;      dateRange.Set(coordConv.getSignedGraphRange());
		Date graphStartDate; graphStartDate.Set(coordConv.getGraphMin());
		Date graphEndDate;   graphEndDate.Set(coordConv.getGraphMin());
		// ===================
		//        YEARS
		// ===================
		if (dateRange.year >= 7) {
			int yearRange = dateRange.year;
			int normalizedYearStep = GetNormalizedStep( yearRange );
			if (normalizedYearStep==0) normalizedYearStep = 1;

Date dateIter(0,1,1);
			dateIter.year = GetGridStartValue( normalizedYearStep, graphStartDate.year+1 );
			if ( dateIter < graphStartDate ) {
				GRIDLOG("     #### YEAR  STEP_2 :    dateIter="<< dateIter << "      graphStartDate="<< graphStartDate);
				dateIter.year += normalizedYearStep;
			}

_nbSteps = (unsigned int)tabs((graphEndDate.year - dateIter.year) / normalizedYearStep);
				_nbSteps = _nbMaxSteps;
			}
			else if (_nbSteps==0) _nbSteps = 1;

GRIDLOG("YEAR  range=" << yearRange << "years    normalizedStep = "<< normalizedYearStep << " years     _nbSteps=" << _nbSteps<< "       graphStartDate = "<< dateIter);
			for (unsigned int c=0; c<= _nbSteps; ++c) {
				Time tmp = ToTime(dateIter);
				_stepDrawingParams[c].stepGraphValue = tmp.Get();
				GRIDLOG("     YEAR  STEP :    dateIter="<< dateIter);
				dateIter = AddYears(dateIter, normalizedYearStep);
			}
		}
		// ===================
		//        MONTHS
		// ===================
		else if ((dateRange.month >= 7) || (dateRange.year > 0 )) {
			int monthRange = dateRange.year*12 + dateRange.month;
			Vector<double> monthSteps;
			monthSteps << 1 << 2 << 3 << 4 << 6 << 12 << 24 << 48;
			int normalizedMonthStep = GetNormalizedStep( monthRange, monthSteps );
			if (normalizedMonthStep==0) normalizedMonthStep = 1;

Date dateIter(0,1,1);

int nbMonths = GetGridStartValue( normalizedMonthStep, graphStartDate.year*12+graphStartDate.month-1 );
			dateIter.year = nbMonths/12;
			dateIter.month= nbMonths - dateIter.year*12 + 1;
			dateIter.day = 1;
			GRIDLOG("     MONTH  STEP_1 : "<< dateIter << "       nbMonths=" << nbMonths << "     graphStartDate=" << graphStartDate);
				GRIDLOG("     #### MONTH  STEP_2 :    dateIter="<< dateIter << "      graphStartDate="<< graphStartDate);
				dateIter = AddMonths(dateIter, normalizedMonthStep);
			}

_nbSteps = (unsigned int)tabs(((graphEndDate.year-dateIter.year)*12 + (graphEndDate.month-dateIter.month)) / normalizedMonthStep);
				_nbSteps = _nbMaxSteps;
			}

GRIDLOG("MONTH  range=" << monthRange << " months    normalizedMonthStep = "<< normalizedMonthStep << " months     _nbSteps=" << _nbSteps<< "       graphStartDate = "<< graphStartDate);
				GRIDLOG("     MONTH  STEP : "<< dateIter);
			}
		}
		// ======
		//  DAYS
		// ======
		else {
			TypeGraphCoord gridStartValue;
			Upp::int64 normalizedStep;
			Vector<double> daySteps;
			daySteps << 1 << 2  << 3 << 4 << 5 << 7 << 14 << 28 << 56;
			normalizedStep = GetNormalizedStep( dateRange.Get(), daySteps );
			if (normalizedStep == 0) normalizedStep = 1;
			gridStartValue = GetGridStartValue( normalizedStep, _coordConverter.getGraphMin() );
			_nbSteps = (unsigned int)tabs((graphEndDate.Get() - gridStartValue) / normalizedStep);

_nbSteps = _nbMaxSteps;
			}

GRIDLOG("D/H/M/S  ==>  _nbSteps=" << _nbSteps << "      gridStepValue=" << normalizedStep);
			for (unsigned int c=0; c<_nbSteps+1; ++c)
			{
				_stepDrawingParams[c].stepGraphValue = gridStartValue + normalizedStep * c;
			}
		}
	}

void GridStepManager::timeGridStepCalcCbk(GridStepManager& gridStepManager, CoordinateConverter& coordConv )
	{
		enum {
			DAY_sec     = 24*60*60,
			HOUR_sec    = 60*60,
			MINUTES_sec = 60,
		};
		Time timeOrigin;     timeOrigin.Set(0);
		Time graphStartTime; graphStartTime.Set(coordConv.getGraphMin());
		Time graphEndTime;   graphEndTime.Set(coordConv.getGraphMax());
		Time timeRange;      timeRange.Set(coordConv.getSignedGraphRange());

GRIDLOG("\n--timeGridStepCalcCbk--   range=" << timeRange << "       GraphMin = "<< graphStartTime << "     GraphMax = " << graphEndTime);

// ===================
		//        YEARS
		// ===================
		if (timeRange.year >= 7) {
			Date graphStartDate( graphStartTime.year, graphStartTime.month, graphStartTime.day);
			Date graphEndDate( graphEndTime.year, graphEndTime.month, graphEndTime.day);
			int yearRange = timeRange.year;
			int normalizedYearStep = GetNormalizedStep( yearRange );
			if (normalizedYearStep==0) normalizedYearStep = 1;

Date dateIter(0,1,1);
			dateIter.year = GetGridStartValue( normalizedYearStep, graphStartDate.year+1 );
				GRIDLOG("     #### YEAR  STEP_2 :    dateIter="<< dateIter << "      graphStartDate="<< graphStartDate);
				dateIter.year += normalizedYearStep;
			}

_nbSteps = (unsigned int)tabs((graphEndDate.year - dateIter.year) / normalizedYearStep);
				_nbSteps = _nbMaxSteps;
			}

GRIDLOG("YEAR  range=" << yearRange << "years    normalizedStep = "<< normalizedYearStep << " years     _nbSteps=" << _nbSteps<< "       graphStartDate = "<< dateIter);
				GRIDLOG("     YEAR  STEP :    dateIter="<< dateIter);
				dateIter = ToTime(AddYears(dateIter, normalizedYearStep));
			}
		}
		// ===================
		//        MONTHS
		// ===================
		else if ((timeRange.month >= 7) || (timeRange.year > 0 )) {
			Date graphStartDate( graphStartTime.year, graphStartTime.month, graphStartTime.day);
			Date graphEndDate( graphEndTime.year, graphEndTime.month, graphEndTime.day);
			int monthRange = timeRange.year*12+timeRange.month-1 ;
			Vector<double> monthStep;
			monthStep << 1 << 2 << 3 << 4 << 6 << 12 << 24 << 48;
			int normalizedMonthStep = GetNormalizedStep( monthRange, monthStep );
			if (normalizedMonthStep==0) normalizedMonthStep = 1;

Date dateIter(0,1,1);

int nbMonths = GetGridStartValue( normalizedMonthStep, graphStartDate.year*12+graphStartDate.month-1 );
			dateIter.year = nbMonths/12;
			dateIter.month= nbMonths - dateIter.year*12 + 1;
			dateIter.day = 1;
			GRIDLOG("     MONTH  STEP_1 : "<< dateIter << "       nbMonths=" << nbMonths << "     graphStartDate=" << graphStartDate);
				GRIDLOG("     #### MONTH  STEP_2 :    dateIter="<< dateIter << "      graphStartDate="<< graphStartDate);
			}

_nbSteps = (unsigned int)tabs(((graphEndDate.year-dateIter.year)*12 + (graphEndDate.month-dateIter.month)) / normalizedMonthStep);
				_nbSteps = _nbMaxSteps;
			}

GRIDLOG("MONTH  range=" << monthRange << " months    normalizedMonthStep = "<< normalizedMonthStep << " months     _nbSteps=" << _nbSteps<< "       graphStartDate = "<< graphStartDate);
				GRIDLOG("     MONTH  STEP : "<< dateIter);
			}
		}
		// ================================
		//  DAY / HOUR / MINUTES / SECONDS
		// ================================
		else {
			TypeGraphCoord gridStartValue;
			Upp::int64 normalizedStep;
			Vector<double> secondsSteps;
			secondsSteps << 1 << 2 << 5 << 10 << 15 << 20 << 30;
			secondsSteps << MINUTES_sec << MINUTES_sec*2 << MINUTES_sec*3 << MINUTES_sec*5 << MINUTES_sec*10 << MINUTES_sec*15 << MINUTES_sec*20 << MINUTES_sec*30;
			secondsSteps << HOUR_sec << HOUR_sec*2 << HOUR_sec*3 << HOUR_sec*4 << HOUR_sec*6 << HOUR_sec*8 << HOUR_sec*12;
			secondsSteps << DAY_sec << DAY_sec*2  << DAY_sec*3 << DAY_sec*4 << DAY_sec*5 << DAY_sec*7 << DAY_sec*14 << DAY_sec*28 << DAY_sec*56;
			normalizedStep = GetNormalizedStep( (timeRange - timeOrigin), secondsSteps );
			if (normalizedStep == 0) normalizedStep = 1;
			gridStartValue = GetGridStartValue( normalizedStep, _coordConverter.getGraphMin() );
			_nbSteps = (unsigned int)tabs((graphEndTime.Get() - gridStartValue) / normalizedStep);

_nbSteps = _nbMaxSteps;
			}

GRIDLOG("D/H/M/S  ==>  _nbSteps=" << _nbSteps << "      gridStepValue=" << normalizedStep);
			_stepDrawingParams[0].stepGraphValue = gridStartValue;
			for (unsigned int c=1; c<_nbSteps+1; ++c)
			{
				_stepDrawingParams[c].stepGraphValue = gridStartValue + normalizedStep * c;
				Time time, time2;
				time.Set( _stepDrawingParams[c].stepGraphValue );
				time2.Set( _stepDrawingParams[c-1].stepGraphValue );
				if ((time.month - time2.month) == 1  ||  (time.month - time2.month)==-11) {
					Time addTime = time;
					addTime.day = 1;
					addTime.minute = 0;
					addTime.second = 0;
					TypeGraphCoord t = addTime.Get();
					if (( t - _stepDrawingParams[c-1].stepGraphValue ) < (normalizedStep/2) ) _stepDrawingParams[c-1].stepGraphValue = t;
					else                                                                    _stepDrawingParams[c].stepGraphValue = t;
					GRIDLOG("D/H/M/S  ==>  Modified step at: " << addTime);
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

END_UPP_NAMESPACE

[Updated on: Sat, 31 August 2019 14:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52309 is a reply to message #52296] Tue, 03 September 2019 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, wow. That is cool.
I just wrote my own functionality to do this, but it is not as nicely refactored into a reusable library.
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #52311 is a reply to message #52309] Tue, 03 September 2019 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hope it helps Smile
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #53753 is a reply to message #52311] Tue, 28 April 2020 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pradip is currently offline  Pradip
Experienced Member
Hello Didier and All,

I need to make Gantt chart displaying bars for activities on a timeline, so I'll need the exact functionality Maginor was looking for. Where can I find the GraphCtrl/GraphDraw package?

Regards,
Pradip
Re: Ideas: Grid lines at "round" dates or values. More options for tooltip. [message #53789 is a reply to message #53753] Fri, 01 May 2020 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Contributor
Hello Pradip,

You mean something like this (with time on X axis) ?

index.php?t=getfile&id=6063&private=0

I recently added the capacity to display fully custom data (with mouse interactions ) just for the same reasons Wink
and I am currently working on adding full Chameleon compatbility changes still need to be done :
  • Layout designer properties do not work anymore (du to Chameleon modifications)
  • made corrections to the property editors
So the Package is still work in progress
I will upload the current state so that you can play around with it
  • Attachment: Example.png
    (Size: 22.14KB, Downloaded 433 times)
Previous Topic: Remove a Surf from a ScatterDraw
Next Topic: ScatterDraw data ownership
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:26:01 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01506 seconds