Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » 2019.2rc2
2019.2rc2 [message #52399] Wed, 18 September 2019 15:40 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
After fixing several bugs, a new release candidate:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/upp/files/upp/2019.2.rc2/
Re: 2019.2rc2 [message #52429 is a reply to message #52399] Tue, 24 September 2019 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Mirek,

I'm not sure if this has any significance at all, but when compiling the Core on Raspbian (Buster) (on Raspberry Pi 4 model B) using GCC (gcc (Raspbian 8.3.0-6+rpi1) 8.3.0), I get the following note:

/home/pi/upp.src/uppsrc/Core/Sort.h (2): note: parameter passing for argument of type 'Upp::Array<Upp::ColumnList::Item>::Iterator' changed in GCC 7.1

BTW: As for using U++ on this new RPi 4 (my first ever), I have a great experience. It took only four hours after receiving the board to already have TheIDE installed, running and getting my own programs compiled. Works beautifully!

Best regards,

Tom
Re: 2019.2rc2 [message #52430 is a reply to message #52429] Tue, 24 September 2019 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Tom,

It is nice to hear that U++ compile fine on RPi 4. I tested it previously with RPi 2 and the biggest problem I had is the memory requirements. How many RAM your RPi 4 configuration has? I knew that now you can now choose between 1, 2 & 4 GB of RAM.

Can you also tell me how long does TheIDE compilation process took and how many threads did you used during compilation process?

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
Re: 2019.2rc2 [message #52431 is a reply to message #52430] Tue, 24 September 2019 12:20 Go to previous message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Klugier,

I picked the 4GB version just to be sure I do not end up with too little RAM in my development project. As I did not time it, I cannot really tell how long the compilation (make) of TheIDE took. Anyway, it was not an excessive amount of time.

In fact I was using your post here in the forum as a guide for building TheIDE on RPi. Thanks for that! I first started with just one thread, but as I was simultaneously reading your post, I quickly decided to go up to four threads, as I was confident the RAM will not run out. And it did not. The memory consumption while running a four threaded compilation was topping at approximately 1.2 GB for the whole system while running on Raspbian X11 desktop. (This is what the system monitor was showing, but probably the file cache was using all the rest on the background.)

What's important to notice with RPi4 is that it is running hot, very hot. The standard i.e. non-existing cooling is not enough. Thermal throttling will step in very quickly after starting the compilation. Therefore, I lifted the board slightly above table level and installed a fan on the side to cool down the beast. This way I was able to get it back to decent temperature readings and work at full speed.

In fact, I'm typing this very post using the same RPi4 as I'm currently developing some code using TheIDE on this great little device!

Best regards,

Tom
Previous Topic: 2019.2rc1
Next Topic: 2019.2rc3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:35:14 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01235 seconds