Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » U++ users applications in progress and useful code snippets, including reference examples! » An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11
icon1.gif  An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #3578] Fri, 02 June 2006 18:40 Go to next message
cyrion is currently offline  cyrion
Promising Member
Hi,
I have just finished (the first version of) an opengl ctrl for X11.
It works well but I had to make modifications to U++ core, and I would like to know if there is a best way to proceed.

The modifications I have made are:

1/ in CtrlCore.h, class Ctrl :

* I put the static ArrayMap<> Xwindow() in protected section.
I had to do so because the Create() method does not allow to use another X visual than the top window one. So I had to put my new X (sub)window "by hand" into the static ArrayMap of windows.

* I added a 'bool UseGLXVisual' (in protected section), defaulting to false except in my new Ctrl.

2/ in X11Wnd.h

* in Ctrl::DoPaint(), I 'return' without creating a GC if UseGLXVisual is true (just before XCreateGC).
I had to do so to prevent the Ctrl::Draw() method to be called with a GC context that is not compatible with my X window.

Finally, all seems to work fine : resizing, moving, hide/show, multiple gl ctrls, etc...

I hope that the source code will be more comprehensible than my english.

Btw, _many_many_ thanks for this wonderful library !

Damien
(Linux 2.6, debian, Xorg, U++ 605)

[EDIT] An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #3582 is a reply to message #3578] Sat, 03 June 2006 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hi,
Below are the modifications I have done to the CtrlCore package.
In the attached file you will find a working example of the gl ctrl (a spinning cube). I also added the binary (for Linux i386).

Modifications to CtrlCore.h

(...)
	static dword KEYtoK(dword);

protected: 
	bool UseGLXVisual; // here !

private:
	Ctrl(Ctrl&);
	void operator=(Ctrl&);

(...)     

and here:

(...)
#ifdef PLATFORM_X11
protected:
	struct XWindow {
		Ptr<Ctrl>    ctrl;
		bool         exposed;
		Vector<Rect> invalid;
		Ptr<Ctrl>    owner;
		Ptr<Ctrl>    last_active;
		XIC          xic;
	};
	static ArrayMap<Window, XWindow>& Xwindow(); // here !
private:
	static Ptr<Ctrl> WndCaretCtrl;
(...)

Modifications to X11Wnd.cpp
(...)
void Ctrl::DoPaint(const Vector<Rect>& invalid)
{
(...)

if( UseGLXVisual ) // here !
			return; 

GC gc = XCreateGC(Xdisplay, (Drawable)top->window, 0, 0);
	#ifdef PLATFORM_XFT

(...)

And finally to Ctrl.cpp

(...)
Ctrl::Ctrl() {
	LLOG("Ctrl::Ctrl");
(...)
	unicode = false;
	UseGLXVisual = false; // here !
}
(...)

Damien.
  • Attachment: example.tgz
    (Size: 774.84KB, Downloaded 1927 times)
Re: [EDIT] An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #3597 is a reply to message #3582] Mon, 05 June 2006 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Looks excelent, however, there is already existing GlCtrl which so far lacks POSIX implementation. (check reference/OpenGL).

Would not it be wiser to have single interface for Linux / Win32?

Mirek
Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #3607 is a reply to message #3578] Tue, 06 June 2006 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hi,
I am aware of the GL Ctrl working on Windows, that's exactly why I made the posix version Smile
What I wanted to know was if there was a best way to proceed, i.e. while avoiding modifying the core of Upp.
If all seems ok, I could make it portable with a couple of #ifdef in the Upp GLCtr, and if you are interested, you could use it for the next release.
This would be my first contribution to Upp !
Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #3608 is a reply to message #3607] Tue, 06 June 2006 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cyrion wrote on Tue, 06 June 2006 10:02

Hi,
I am aware of the GL Ctrl working on Windows, that's exactly why I made the posix version Smile
What I wanted to know was if there was a best way to proceed, i.e. while avoiding modifying the core of Upp.
If all seems ok, I could make it portable with a couple of #ifdef in the Upp GLCtr, and if you are interested, you could use it for the next release.
This would be my first contribution to Upp !

Perfect!

That would be an important milestone, as by that act, we would finally reach Linux/Win32 parity (because other things like printing and clipboard are being resolved now as well).

BTW, IMO "UseGLXVisual" could be replaces by existing "BackPaint(EXCLUDEPAINT)".

Mirek
Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #3609 is a reply to message #3608] Tue, 06 June 2006 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
luzr wrote on Tue, 06 June 2006 17:59

BTW, IMO "UseGLXVisual" could be replaces by existing "BackPaint(EXCLUDEPAINT)".

I have just tested BackPaint() but it doesn't work because DoPaint() is still called with a bad X visual Confused

I get things like that :
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter), request: X_CreateGC, resource id: 136899272 = 828EAC8
X Error: BadGC (invalid GC parameter), request: X_SetClipRectangles, resource id: 48234558 = 2E0003E
X Error: BadGC (invalid GC parameter), request: X_SetClipRectangles, resource id: 48234558 = 2E0003E
X Error: BadGC (invalid GC parameter), request: X_FreeGC, resource id: 48234558 = 2E0003E

IMHO, instead of using a variable like my dirty UseGLXVisual it would probably be best to take into account the fact that some controls can require special visuals that does not require a Draw object to be created. But I don't know how ! (a kind of BackPaint(3DPAINT) ?)
In the end, I think that Ctrl::Paint() should still be called, but with a 'null/disabled' Draw object in parameter...

Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #3611 is a reply to message #3609] Tue, 06 June 2006 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cyrion wrote on Tue, 06 June 2006 13:48

luzr wrote on Tue, 06 June 2006 17:59

I have just tested BackPaint() but it doesn't work because DoPaint() is still called with a bad X visual Confused

I get things like that :
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter), request: X_CreateGC, resource id: 136899272 = 828EAC8
X Error: BadGC (invalid GC parameter), request: X_FreeGC, resource id: 48234558 = 2E0003E

IMHO, instead of using a variable like my dirty UseGLXVisual it would probably be best to take into account the fact that some controls can require special visuals that does not require a Draw object to be created. But I don't know how ! (a kind of BackPaint(3DPAINT) ?)
In the end, I think that Ctrl::Paint() should still be called, but with a 'null/disabled' Draw object in parameter...

Well, I have not studied your version in detail and in fact, I never really understood concept of X11 visuals, however...

Normal U++ widgets do not have corresponding objects (handles) in neither X11 or Win32 - U++ normally uses just top-level windows. That in turn means that there is only single Draw for each top-level Ctrl.

That of course is sometimes trouble - e.g. for OpenGL which requires separate GUI object. In order to solve that, there is special DHCtrl class, so far implemented in Win32 only, which has corresponing object (HWND) in Win32 and handles WM_PAINT completely separately. BackPaint(EXCLUDEPAINT) just clips the content of DHCtrl out of normal painting procedure (which is always called for entire top-level Ctrl). I believe that Linux should, if possible, follow the path. GLCtrl is derived from DHCtrl.

Mirek
Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #3622 is a reply to message #3578] Thu, 08 June 2006 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hi,

I checked on windows to see how it works. I'm not sure, but I think that BackPaint(EXCLUDEPAINT) does the job for Windows, but not exactly in the same manner for Linux because the GC is always created.
While using BackPaint(EXCLUDEPAINT), my problem disappear only if I don't call the inherited EventProc() of Ctrl in my OpenGLCtrl::EventProc, but in this case Frames are never painted !
I run out of ideas.

In addition, a desirable feature would be that Ctrl objects (at least GL ctrls) receive a 'POSITION' event. Currently I have to watch for a modification of the widget position each time Paint is called, which slows down rendering.
BTW, the windows version of the gl ctrl does not handle displacements of the ctrl. For instance, try to use win.Add( gl.BottomPos( 0, 120).RightPos( 0, 120 ));

In the attached file I put a small app using the new version of the Ctrl. It now handles multiples GL widgets on the same app automatically.

Damien.
Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #3632 is a reply to message #3622] Fri, 09 June 2006 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cyrion wrote on Thu, 08 June 2006 01:00

Hi,

I checked on windows to see how it works. I'm not sure, but I think that BackPaint(EXCLUDEPAINT) does the job for Windows, but not exactly in the same manner for Linux because the GC is always created.

Of course it is - it is used to paint sibling Ctrls...

Quote:

In addition, a desirable feature would be that Ctrl objects (at least GL ctrls) receive a 'POSITION' event.

There is "State" virtual that should get called when position changes - in that case, the parameter is equal to "LAYOUTPOS".

Note that this is overloaded in DHCtrl and should do position syncs...

Mirek
Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #3633 is a reply to message #3632] Fri, 09 June 2006 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Mirek, thanks for your quick answers and your patience.

After many hours checking U++ source code as well as my source code, I think there are some bugs into the core:

pb#1: my widget never receive LAYOUTPOS when the position change. However LAYOUTPOS is received when it is resized.

pb#2: when I put my gl ctrl into a TabCtrl, itself contained into another TabCtrl, my function RectInTopWindow
Rect OpenGLCtrl::RectInTopWindow() const
{
	return GetScreenView() - GetTopCtrl()->GetScreenRect().TopLeft();
}
does not return a good value. I suspect that GetTopCtrl() does not return the good top ctrl.

pb#3: My new x subwindow with a special visual generates X errors when Paint() is called, except if I use my IsGLXVisual variable to prevent DoPaint to create a graphics context.
If I use BackPaint(EXCLUDEPAINT), I can get rid of X errors if I don't call the inherited Ctrl::EventProc(w, event),
 void OpenGLCtrl::EventProc(XWindow& w, XEvent *event)
{
	// Flush 'Expose' events
	while( XCheckWindowEvent( Xdisplay, SubWindow, ExposureMask, event )) {};

if( IsMapped )
		OpenGLPaint();

Ctrl::EventProc(w, event );
}
but in this case the frames surrounding my Ctrl (like InsetFrame for instance) are not displayed anymore.

pb#4: When the app window is resized, my ctrl receive a lot of SHOW events, that make my X subwindow swapping to hide/show state. This slows down the resizing process in this case (that is, a X sub window, not a standard ctrl).

If you have time for that, please look at my source code. It would be a great help for me to find if I made a mistake or don't understand something. At this point, I have no more ideas to make my GL Ctrl working without modifying the U++ core.

Sincerely,
Damien.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 June 2006 18:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #5553 is a reply to message #3633] Mon, 02 October 2006 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
h3l1 is currently offline  h3l1
Promising Member
Is there any update on an OpenGL Ctrl for Linux?
Or does it already work?

Bye
Heli
Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #5556 is a reply to message #5553] Mon, 02 October 2006 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
h3l1 wrote on Mon, 02 October 2006 12:14

Is there any update on an OpenGL Ctrl for Linux?
Or does it already work?

Bye
Heli

Actually, it would be nice to have it soon for 611 release.

Mirek
Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #5557 is a reply to message #5553] Mon, 02 October 2006 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hi,
I will make a portable version of the widget soon.
Until then, you can use my patched version of the CtrlCore.
In the attached .tgz you will find the patchs for upp 605 and upp 609dev3 (with an example of an opengl application).

Quote:

cd upp/
tar zxvf glctrl-upp.tgz

Warning ! it will replace the files :

uppsrc/CtrlCore/CtrlCore.h
uppsrc/CtrlCore/Ctrl.cpp
uppsrc/CtrlCore/X11Wnd.cpp

Damien.
Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #5629 is a reply to message #5557] Fri, 06 October 2006 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hi Damien,

great work, finally I got it to run. So I tried to get antialiasing to the controls and had to add

#ifdef GLX_SAMPLE_BUFFERS_ARB
visual << GLX_SAMPLE_BUFFERS_ARB << 1 << GLX_SAMPLES_ARB << 4;
#endif

in the OpenGLCtrl::CreateGLXWindow method. It would be nice if this can be added to the final code. So it is possible to create individual scenes with antialiasing enabled.

Finally enabling antialiasing works with the following code:
glEnable(GL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB);
glHint(GL_MULTISAMPLE_FILTER_HINT_NV, GL_NICEST);

I added it at the InitGL of the CubeGL control and voila the cube was antialiased. This is really cool!
Now I'm trying to create a control with opengl in high quality.

bye
Heli
Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #6545 is a reply to message #5629] Fri, 17 November 2006 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
@Mirek & Heli: Sorry for the late reply !
@Heli: I followed your suggestion and added arb multisample antialiasing to the parameters of the GLCtrl.
Note: you still have to glEnable(GL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB) "yourself".

So, the attached archive contains :

1/ the patch against the CtrCore lib
uppsrc/CtrlCore/CtrlCore.h
uppsrc/CtrlCore/Ctrl.cpp
uppsrc/CtrlCore/X11Wnd.cpp

2/ the portable GLCtrl (now including Linux/X11)
uppsrc/GLCtrl/GLCtrl.cpp
uppsrc/GLCtrl/GLCtrl.h
uppsrc/GLCtrl/GLCtrl.upp

3/ the reference example slightly modified to demonstrate antialiasing (optional, of course)
reference/OpenGL/main.cpp

Theses files works with upp611-dev2.

Bye,
Damien.

• Attachment: glctrl.tgz
    (Size: 22.71KB, Downloaded 1681 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 17 November 2006 01:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #6607 is a reply to message #6545] Mon, 20 November 2006 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hi cyrion,

thanks for your work, really great news to have a portable glctrl.
I will try it out in december, since I will have 4 weeks vacation and maybe I get the time to do a small opensource projekt with upp.
I have already an idea to use the opengl control Cool

Bye
Heli
Re: An OpenGL ctrl for Linux / X11 [message #6615 is a reply to message #6607] Mon, 20 November 2006 21:56 Go to previous message
Promising Member
you will see some small modification to the code: I mostly rename the callbacks to match the Windows version of GlCtrl.

Nice holidays !
Bye,
Damien.
Previous Topic: Using DOM like XML parser
Next Topic: Windows Service?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:11:53 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01702 seconds