Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » how do I add a package from bazaar/plugins/? (Cannot seem to find a way to (re-)add kissfft to my toy project...)
how do I add a package from bazaar/plugins/? [message #52701] Tue, 12 November 2019 22:29 Go to next message
xrysf03 is currently offline  xrysf03
Dear everyone,

once again I'm feeling stuck and stupid Smile

In my toy project, I've been using KissFFT for a while.
Apparently I had no problem to add that package to my project in UPP nightly 12610, and I don't recall anything special about it.
But:
After I copy the project directory called MyApps/my_project to a newly installed UPP nightly 13655, the "kissfft" is still mentioned among the project packages, but appears "empty" = the entry in the package manager probably cannot find its files for some reason.

In the UPP 12610, the "kissfft" package lives under Bazaar/plugins/kissfft/ .
Apparently, that directory still exists in UPP 13655.
But, after I've removed the "empty" package entry from my project, I cannot seem to add it again. The package manager just doesn't offer the bazaar plugins to me.

I'd be grateful for any kick in the right direction...

Frank
Re: how do I add a package from bazaar/plugins/? [message #52704 is a reply to message #52701] Wed, 13 November 2019 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hi Frank

When I update U++ I do not need to copy my project files to any place.
When you say:
Quote:
After I copy the project directory called MyApps/my_project to a newly installed UPP nightly 13655
, what do you mean?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: how do I add a package from bazaar/plugins/? [message #52705 is a reply to message #52704] Wed, 13 November 2019 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your patient response, Koldo...

When playing with complex software (such as U++) that's not a "release" and not a bugfix version, I tend to keep different development versions "side by side". Such as, over the last year or so, I've done some work under UPP 12610, which lives in
C:\Program Files\upp_nightly_12610

I'm considering a transition to UPP 13655, which I have placed under
C:\Program Files\upp_nightly_13655

Consequently, my own code, created under UPP 16210, lives in
C:\Program Files\upp_nightly_12610\MyApps\rtlsdr_skyline

To try it under the new UPP version, I have copied that directory to
C:\Program Files\upp_nightly_13655\MyApps\rtlsdr_skyline

I could certainly have my own source code outside of the UPP directory subtree, and I do have such directories for my "closer to production" code, but in the case of UPP so far I'm mostly playing and I'm "hedging my bets" against things no longer working the way they used to work in the older environment...

Ask again if this is not clear enough Smile

So after that change, under 13655, I'm having a problem re-adding bazaar/plugins/kissfft to my toy app called "rtlsdr_skyline"...
If you can suggest better ways to manage my own source code, I'd only be grateful Smile

Frank
Re: how do I add a package from bazaar/plugins/? [message #52707 is a reply to message #52705] Wed, 13 November 2019 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Working this way, I would advice you to copy to the new Upp folder, the previous .var files that indicate all the parameters of main packages, so new U++ install does not lose your previous packages. Maybe you could also copy your previous .bm files with all the compilers parameters.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: how do I add a package from bazaar/plugins/? [message #52708 is a reply to message #52705] Wed, 13 November 2019 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...so maybe to reformulate my question more specifically:

It seems to me as if the Package Organizer, as part of TheIDE, in the 13655 only proposes the packages including plugins from the uppsrc/ subdirectory, but not those from the bazaar/ subdirectory. And I'm looking for a way to add a "plugin path" to the bazaar, someplace where the path to uppsrc/ is already specified. An environment variable or something. Can't seem to find any such configurable option. In the build methods I can add traditional libdirs and include-dirs, but not a "package dir".

It seems to me that in 12610, the package organizer offers the bazaar/ packages alongside the uppsrc/ packages...

Any comments on that would be appreciated Smile
Re: how do I add a package from bazaar/plugins/? [message #52709 is a reply to message #52707] Wed, 13 November 2019 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@koldo, regarding .var files etc: thanks, I'll take a look at those Smile

Frank
Re: how do I add a package from bazaar/plugins/? [message #53043 is a reply to message #52709] Sun, 16 February 2020 23:00 Go to previous message
Hmm. I've tried again in 14016-nightly and I faced the same problem: couldn't add packages from bazaar/plugin. They were just not offered in "add package to $PROJECT".

I went after the .var files mentioned by Koldo. And I noticed, that in my working old UPP working directory in 12610-nightly, the MyApps.var contained paths to bazaar and to bazaar/plugin.
The same file in 14016-nightly did not contain those two paths.
So I tried adding those manually and... it did not make a difference.

And then I probably finally cracked it. See the attached screenshot. On startup, once I select the assembly called MyApps-bazaar, I am still allowed to pick the project that I've just copied into the MyApps directory, and I can add package plugin/kissfft. Overall the number of packages offered has maybe doubled over the alternative scenario where I would instead pick the "MyApps" assembly on startup.

Maybe I now also understand how to keep software in my own directory someplace on the disk drive: I need to set up my own "assembly" via TheIDE, point it to my custom directory, and also append the path to bazaar/plugin in the "assembly definition".

[Updated on: Sun, 16 February 2020 23:01]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Problem with String and pcre
Next Topic: Help & Topics (in tab)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:59:16 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01316 seconds