Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » ide: Compare with log and new 'unit' testing method
ide: Compare with log and new 'unit' testing method [message #54601] Wed, 19 August 2020 10:59 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
So I have got an idea how to simplify unit testing, or at least what I consider unittesting in U++ context...

Traditionally, checks in unit testing are something similar to a tedious list of ASSERTs. So far, in many tests, this is exactly what I was doing in autotest too.

Recently I have introduced a new approach: Instead of individual ASSERTs, test normally LOGs values out, creating standard U++ log. Then, at the end of test, this log is compared with "Etanol.log" in the test package.

When creating the test, you simply output all values of interest, like

#include <Core/Core.h>

using namespace Upp;

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
	StdLogSetup(LOG_COUT|LOG_FILE);

{ Vector<int> x(20); DUMP(x.GetCount()); }
	{ Vector<int> x(20, 123); DUMP(x); }
	{ Vector<String> x(20, "123"); DUMP(x); }

{ Array<int> x(20); DUMP(x.GetCount()); }
	{ Array<int> x(20, 123); DUMP(x); }
	{ Array<String> x(20, "123"); DUMP(x); }
}

You check that the output is correct, then create the file "Etalon.log", copy current log into it and add CheckLogEtalon(); call at the end of MAIN.

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
	StdLogSetup(LOG_COUT|LOG_FILE);

{ Vector<int> x(20); DUMP(x.GetCount()); }
	{ Vector<int> x(20, 123); DUMP(x); }
	{ Vector<String> x(20, "123"); DUMP(x); }

{ Array<int> x(20); DUMP(x.GetCount()); }
	{ Array<int> x(20, 123); DUMP(x); }
	{ Array<String> x(20, "123"); DUMP(x); }

CheckLogEtalon();
}

CheckLogEtalon loads current log, etalon log, fixes them a bit (removes first line which is in principle different, removes '\r' to avoid problems) and compares. If they are equal, test passes. (CheckLogEtalon is now in Core/Diag.h).

To support this, I have also added "Compare with log" function to the ide - if the test fails, you can use that to quickly find the culprit.
Re: ide: Compare with log and new 'unit' testing method [message #54613 is a reply to message #54601] Thu, 20 August 2020 10:06 Go to previous message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hello Mirek,

This is a simple and yet efficient approach: make a reference result and compare to reference.
This should be very easy to implement and use for unit testing (only if there is no multithread and time doens't matter)
Previous Topic: U++/Win32 is now using CLANG toolchain
Next Topic: 3rd party code updates
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:27:04 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01689 seconds