Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Libraries and TheIDE: i18n, Unicode and Internationalization » Translation Problems (German)
Translation Problems (German) [message #3780] Sun, 25 June 2006 11:38 Go to next message
Werner is currently offline  Werner
Experienced Member
I am adding the German language to a dede2.tr file (LANGUAGE "DE-DE windows-1252") which I will make available to the community (if somebody is interested in Very Happy ).

The peculiarities of the German language lead to problems when parameterized strings are to be translated. For example,

enUS: "Do you really want to delete the selected %s ?"

needs 4 different translations depending on what "%s" means:

1) %s = "Bereich" (area)
deDE: "Möchten Sie wirklich den ausgewählten %s löschen?"

2) %s = "Zeile" (row)
deDE: "Möchten Sie wirklich die ausgewählte %s löschen?"

3) %s = "Objekt" (object)
deDE: "Möchten Sie wirklich das ausgewählte %s löschen?"

4) %s = "Bereiche" (areas), "Zeilen" (rows), "Objekte" (objects)
deDE: "Möchten Sie wirklich die ausgewählten %s löschen?"

Actually, the translation depends on the linguistic gender (masculine/feminine/neuter) and the number of what will be substituted for %s. "Bereich", "Zeile", etc. are just examples.

This brings up the following questions:

Is it possible to create universally usable context-dependent translations? (As far as I understand " t_("XXX\vYYY")" needs to know beforehand what "XXX" means in the individual case.)

Is it ok to add only bilingual translations even though the other entries already contain more languages?

Werner

[Updated on: Sun, 25 June 2006 11:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Translation Problems (German) [message #3781 is a reply to message #3780] Sun, 25 June 2006 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Werner wrote on Sun, 25 June 2006 05:38

I am adding the German language to a dede2.tr file (LANGUAGE "DE-DE windows-1252") which I will make available to the community (if somebody is interested in Very Happy ).

The peculiarities of the German language lead to problems when parameterized strings are to be translated. For example,

enUS: "Do you really want to delete the selected %s ?"

needs 4 different translations depending on what "%s" means:

1) %s = "Bereich" (area)
deDE: "Möchten Sie wirklich den ausgewählten %s löschen?"

2) %s = "Zeile" (row)
deDE: "Möchten Sie wirklich die ausgewählte %s löschen?"

3) %s = "Objekt" (object)
deDE: "Möchten Sie wirklich das ausgewählte %s löschen?"

4) %s = "Bereiche" (areas), "Zeilen" (rows), "Objekte" (objects)
deDE: "Möchten Sie wirklich die ausgewählten %s löschen?"

Actually, the translation depends on the linguistic gender (masculine/feminine/neuter) and the number of what will be substituted for %s. "Bereich", "Zeile", etc. are just examples.

This brings up the following questions:

Is it possible to create universally usable context-dependent translations? (As far as I understand " t_("XXX\vYYY")" needs to know beforehand what "XXX" means in the individual case.)

Is it ok to add only bilingual translations even though the other entries already contain more languages?

Werner

Interesting trouble... Some things are hard to anticipate before you get thrown them at you Smile

I guess, from what I see, the simple solution seems to be:

enUS: "Do you really want to delete %s ?"

Wink

Of course, maybe the really universal would be:

enUS: "%s"

Mirek
Re: Translation Problems (German) [message #3991 is a reply to message #3781] Thu, 13 July 2006 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
In the meantime I studied the code fragments which bear the various expressions to be translated. I hope I found universally usable translations.

So I provide a dede2.tr file to anybody who might be interested.

But a warning word might be appropriate:

At least as far as "my" dede2.tr file is concerned it can only yield "raw" translations. In any case the translation has to be polished "by hand" if it is to be used in production code.

Werner
  • Attachment: dede2.tr
    (Size: 16.89KB, Downloaded 1893 times)
Re: Translation Problems (German) [message #4015 is a reply to message #3991] Sat, 15 July 2006 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fallingdutch is currently offline  fallingdutch
Experienced Member
Thanks Werner,

now I dont have to worry about these "german" problems Smile

schönes Wochenende, (have a nice weekend)
Bas

[Updated on: Sat, 15 July 2006 09:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Translation Problems (German) [message #4069 is a reply to message #3991] Wed, 19 July 2006 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Werner wrote on Thu, 13 July 2006 12:34

In the meantime I studied the code fragments which bear the various expressions to be translated. I hope I found universally usable translations.

At least as far as "my" dede2.tr file is concerned it can only yield "raw" translations. In any case the translation has to be polished "by hand" if it is to be used in production code.

Werner

Now part of U++ (will be in next dev release).

Mirek
Re: Translation Problems (German) [message #4083 is a reply to message #4069] Wed, 19 July 2006 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Wed, 19 July 2006 11:13

Werner wrote on Thu, 13 July 2006 12:34

Werner

Now part of U++ (will be in next dev release).

Mirek

I feel so embarrassed ... Embarassed Very Happy

I really hope that it will be useful to somebody. Rolling Eyes

Werner
Re: Translation Problems (German) [message #4084 is a reply to message #4015] Wed, 19 July 2006 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
fallingdutch wrote on Sat, 15 July 2006 09:54

Thanks Werner,

now I dont have to worry about these "german" problems Smile

schönes Wochenende, (have a nice weekend)
Bas

Sorry to respond only now, but only now I see that your posting might bear a request.

What "German problems" do you have? May I be helpful by translating something from/to German?

Werner
Re: Translation Problems (German) [message #4120 is a reply to message #4084] Sun, 23 July 2006 11:21 Go to previous message
fallingdutch is currently offline  fallingdutch
Experienced Member
no, Werner, it wasn't a request ... i just thought about translating but was too lazy Smile

so i am thankfull you did it
Previous Topic: How to display Traditional Chinese (Big-5)?
Next Topic: Code that needs to be internationalized
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:20:14 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02380 seconds