Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Accessing documentation navigator from code
Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55522] Thu, 19 November 2020 20:16 Go to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hello,

One thing that is quite annoying for me is the fact that I often need to access documentation from code (by using the blue rectangle on left)
AND NOT TO MODIFY IT.

One simple yet very practical feature would be :
* [click on blue rectangle] : access to documentation navigator ( For READING )
* [CTRL + click on blue rectangle] : access to domcumentation MODIFCATION ( this the behaviour today )

If this already exists, I have no idea how to do it Smile

What do you guys think ?
Re: Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55525 is a reply to message #55522] Thu, 19 November 2020 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I think: "Good idea"!

Will do it.
Re: Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55526 is a reply to message #55525] Thu, 19 November 2020 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Dider and Mirek,

One question "[CTRL + click on blue rectangle] " how do user will now that it is possible. We need to document it at least after implementation...

My idea here is to add simple menu on right click on this blue tiny rectange that will open following menu:
- View documentation..
- Edit documentation..

Right button is much more explicit that CTRL + click.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
Re: Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55527 is a reply to message #55526] Thu, 19 November 2020 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Or it can be just right-click to edit... Smile
Re: Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55528 is a reply to message #55527] Thu, 19 November 2020 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Quote:
Or it can be just right-click to edit...

Why not double-click? It feels more intuitive in TheIDE's context. Right mouse button is usually reserved for a menu.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Thu, 19 November 2020 22:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55529 is a reply to message #55528] Thu, 19 November 2020 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Oblivion wrote on Thu, 19 November 2020 22:56
Quote:
Or it can be just right-click to edit...

Why not double-click? It feels more intuitive in TheIDE's context. Right mouse button is usually reserved for a menu.

Best regards,
Oblivion

There actually is a menu if it is not documented...
Re: Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55530 is a reply to message #55529] Thu, 19 November 2020 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Quote:
There actually is a menu if it is not documented...

Yes, and when it is, both left and right clicks open the topic editor. It's just that opening an editor with right click seems a bit odd to me.
Double click to edit the existing document or a context (right-click) menu that has the "edit item" entry seems more conventional than just a right click.

Re: Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55531 is a reply to message #55530] Thu, 19 November 2020 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

To be clear I just proposed to have the same behavior as for entries that are not documented (It is already documented in Topic++):
index.php?t=getfile&id=6281&private=0

So for documented entries on right click it could open menu as proposed in the my previous message for consistency with the previous behavior. I agree that jumping to edit mode faster seems to be good idea. In this case we should decide between double click or ctrl+click. In the new implementation the left should open documentation in help as proposed by Dider.

Klugier

[Updated on: Thu, 19 November 2020 23:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55533 is a reply to message #55531] Fri, 20 November 2020 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Thu, 19 November 2020 23:56
Hello,

To be clear I just proposed to have the same behavior as for entries that are not documented (It is already documented in Topic++):
index.php?t=getfile&id=6281&private=0

So for documented entries on right click it could open menu as proposed in the my previous message for consistency with the previous behavior. I agree that jumping to edit mode faster seems to be good idea. In this case we should decide between double click or ctrl+click. In the new implementation the left should open documentation in help as proposed by Dider.

Klugier

Double-click: edit
Right-click: menu, with "Edit" if already documented
Click: go to help window

Mirek
Re: Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55544 is a reply to message #55533] Fri, 20 November 2020 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
getting quickly to documentation for reading is a must ==> so only one click is necessary (whatever button it is Smile )
To edit documentation, any solution can be used since it is less often used but speed is always a good way to go

So I vote for:
Quote:
Double-click: edit
Right-click: menu, with "Edit" if already documented
Click: go to help window
Re: Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55545 is a reply to message #55544] Fri, 20 November 2020 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
This will be of great help for beginners Smile
Re: Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55638 is a reply to message #55545] Thu, 26 November 2020 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Commited.

Please check.

Mirek
icon14.gif  Re: Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55639 is a reply to message #55638] Thu, 26 November 2020 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hello Mirek,

Works fine, and yellow background is perfect to see link destination

left click : view documentation
right click : menu wor editing documentation

Thank you very much Smile
Re: Accessing documentation navigator from code [message #55640 is a reply to message #55639] Thu, 26 November 2020 16:24 Go to previous message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

It would be perfect if we manage to add jump to documentation view/edit into TheIDE history. Now it doesn't happen. This will be nice addition to the task when we started to support moues forward/backwards buttons.

Klugier

Previous Topic: Where is FileProperties option
Next Topic: [QUESTION]Is it possible to do internal include depending on Operating system or Flag we use/provide
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:36:07 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01396 seconds