Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Keyboard navigation doesn't work (Keyboard navigation of gui apps)
Keyboard navigation doesn't work [message #55949] Wed, 06 January 2021 12:24 Go to next message
mingodad is currently offline  mingodad
I'm testing Ultimate++ and it seems that keyboard navigation is not working or implemented properly, for example lets use the examples/HomeBudget as a test case:

- When executed and the main screen appear if we try to use it only with keyboard, the current widget that has focus is not recognized.
- Pressing ALT we can see the shortcuts for About, Help, Options and Exit and they work.
- It seems that there is no way to add any data through keyboard only, pressing TAB the focus goes as About, Help, Options, Exit, ?, ? and then again About, ...
- Even within TheIDE for example if we open the Setup/Settings there is no way to walk through the tabs.

For comparison FLTK (https://www.fltk.org) has a good keyboard navigation overall.

Am I missing something ?
Re: Keyboard navigation doesn't work [message #55953 is a reply to message #55949] Wed, 06 January 2021 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hello mingodad,

Even within TheIDE for example if we open the Setup/Settings there is no way to walk through the tabs.

Try CTRL+TAB and CTRL+SHIFT+TAB for tab navigation (Works as well for homebudget.)

TAB and SHIFT+TAB for next/prev

- It seems that there is no way to add any data through keyboard only, pressing TAB the focus goes as About, Help, Options, Exit, ?, ? and then again About, ...

When you iterate through the widgets, use insert key to append an entry, and delete key to delete an entry.

Still, sometimes some shortcuts can be intercepted by the desktop of your choice. You may also want to check that.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Wed, 06 January 2021 18:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Keyboard navigation doesn't work [message #55954 is a reply to message #55953] Wed, 06 January 2021 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mingodad is currently offline  mingodad
Hello Oblivion, thanks for reply !

Nice to see that there is keyboard navigation built-in but there is no visual feedback showing where the focus is.

For example in the IDE the tab with focus could/should have a visual indication of it.

On the homebudget also no visual indication of where the focus is, and in my case I can't see how add anything because I don't know where the focus is unless it's one of the buttons.

Do you know if there is any specific documentation describing the in built keyboard navigation strategy used by Ultimate++ ?

Cheers !
Re: Keyboard navigation doesn't work [message #55955 is a reply to message #55954] Wed, 06 January 2021 19:36 Go to previous message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Quote:
For example in the IDE the tab with focus could/should have a visual indication of it.

This depends on the shell desktop theme you use (on Linux, I mean).
Active tab in TheIDE is always highlighted. It works well for default themes, such as Adwaita/Dark on Gnome, and Breeze/Dark on KDE. On some themes the difference may not be very visible.

Quote:
On the homebudget also no visual indication of where the focus is, and in my case I can't see how add anything because I don't know where the focus is unless it's one of the buttons.

Yes, because at the moment it seems that the focused GridCtrl does not seem to have a highlihgted frame when empty. This can be filed as bug, or UI improvement.

Quote:
Do you know if there is any specific documentation describing the in built keyboard navigation strategy used by Ultimate++ ?

That's not well documented at the moment but hopefully it will improve. IF you are curious, the best way to understand how it works ATM is to check the Key() method of various ctrls.
U++ also has a redefinable accelarator key support (You can see it in theIDE, or in the reference/AK)

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Wed, 06 January 2021 19:40]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: How to achieve dynamic layout scaling ?
Next Topic: Skylark app - create pdf and donwload it
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:20:09 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01253 seconds