FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » Patch to fix few possible issues
Patch to fix few possible issues [message #56106] Mon, 25 January 2021 15:34 Go to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

hi! I've been working on possible security issues with U++ project and came across PVS-Studio as a nice static analysis tool. Since only U++ Core was used, it was processed by PVS-Studio and a number of potential security-related issues was found (collected in xlsx file). So here is a patch for U++ Core to fix possible issues found (looks like very few of those important).

[Updated on: Mon, 25 January 2021 15:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Patch to fix few possible issues [message #56114 is a reply to message #56106] Thu, 28 January 2021 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Only one worth fixing is

Core/Vcont.h 312

Other than that, I am unwilling to change the code just to support a tool with such poor understanding of C++:

Core/Mem.h	316	?	V792 The 'Cmp128' function located to the right of the operator '&' will be called regardless of the value of the left operand. Perhaps, it is better to use '&&'.
Core/Mem.h	330	?	V792 The 'Cmp128' function located to the right of the operator '&' will be called regardless of the value of the left operand. Perhaps, it is better to use '&&'.
Core/Value.h	138	fixed	V557 Array overrun is possible. The '2' index is pointing beyond array bound.
Core/Value.h	139	fixed	V557 Array overrun is possible. The '2' index is pointing beyond array bound.
Core/z.cpp	243	not a bug	V614 Uninitialized buffer 'h' used. Consider checking the first actual argument of the 'Poke32le' function.

On the positive note, I have fixed theide so that goto position now works with Copy of file/line part from the xlsx Smile
Re: Patch to fix few possible issues [message #56121 is a reply to message #56106] Fri, 29 January 2021 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hi Mindtraveller

Thank you very much for this. Even detecting some or many false positives, if this tool could catch just one problem I would be happy.
I would be grateful if you could test the packages I manage in main U++ and in Bazaar. I promise to review all detected issues. Thank you.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Patch to fix few possible issues [message #56123 is a reply to message #56121] Fri, 29 January 2021 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Koldo,

You could try to use flawfinder tool for scanning security issues in the C/C++ code. Sometimes, it produces false positives (Here is the ticket I raised to this tool), but the output are generally acceptable.

Here is the output for Function4U:
Toggle Spoiler

On my distro (Manjaro) you can download flawfinder as a package.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
Re: Patch to fix few possible issues [message #56124 is a reply to message #56121] Fri, 29 January 2021 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hello Koldo,

You can also use cppcheck.

I have attached the csv file of Functions4U.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Fri, 29 January 2021 12:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Patch to fix few possible issues [message #56134 is a reply to message #56124] Sun, 31 January 2021 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Thank you all.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Patch to fix few possible issues [message #56171 is a reply to message #56134] Wed, 03 February 2021 09:22 Go to previous message
Senior Veteran
After reviewing both:

- flawfinder gives generic advices, e.g., if it finds a system() call, it advices to replace it with the specific OS function. Not bad, but generic
- cppcheck seems to really check the sources in detail, giving very specific advices

So cppcheck, although it sometimes fails, seems more useful.

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: WebSocket Clear method don't clear error
Next Topic: Help to setup U++ on vs code.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:29:04 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01176 seconds