Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ SQL » Sql object
Sql object [message #56198] Sun, 07 February 2021 18:07 Go to next message
mubeta is currently offline  mubeta
Hi everyone,
before before writing this post I read several posts on this topic, but I came to the conclusion that I had to change the code of the U ++ library.

The Sql object seems for now unable to be hooked at the free choice of the programmer to different DB connections. So that if the choice of a SQLite or MySQL type DB for example, depended on configuration choices to be left to the end user of the resulting app, it would be impossible to use the same U++ code to write an application, in fact for now, the SQL object must be built clearly indicating a connection since its compilation.
Sql sql1(myconnection);

After hours and hours of testing, research, etc., I came to the unwanted decision to make the umpteenth change to the U++ library, moving the Sql.SetSession() method from private to public, and now I have finally managed to write a code that works on several DB chosen by the end user.

I do not understand why the presence of such a method has been left as private. If there are concerns about possible change errors at runtime, different mechanisms could be identified, but with a much more flexible object.

Re: Sql object [message #56202 is a reply to message #56198] Mon, 08 February 2021 06:42 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi mubeta,

Years ago, I've been trying something similar. I've come with a solution, where the sql code was compiled as dynamic library, so the final program didn't even require mysql libraries to run, unless it was configured to use mysql. You can find the code on my github, if you're intrested: https://github.com/dolik-rce/thewatchdog/tree/master/src/Dyn amicSql

Note however few important things:
  1. The code is pretty old, ~7 years, it might not work with current U++.
  2. I do not use the code anymore, and don't maintain it, so I cannot guarantee or support it in anyway.
  3. It also needed little patch of U++ sources: https://github.com/dolik-rce/thewatchdog/blob/master/patch/M ySql.patch
  4. Only MySql and SQLite are implemented, but adding more options should be easy
  5. Actually the worst part was not to allow dynamic selection of engine, but to write queries in a way that is compatible with both sqlite and mysql. In theory there is ANSI SQL, which should be a common subset of all SQL languages, but reality is much different Smile

Anyway, I hope this helps, or at least inspires you (or someone else in future) Smile

Best regards,
Honza

Previous Topic: MySqlSession Close and Reconnect crashes Application
Next Topic: with MariaDB (MySql) to capture error with Skylark
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:32:32 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02947 seconds