Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » The IDE on macOS
The IDE on macOS [message #56771] Thu, 15 April 2021 03:58 Go to next message
MattM
Hello,

I just wanted to provide some feedback on my attempts to use U++'s IDE on macOS Catalina. There seems to be a few areas to improve on:

1) Get the .app signed with an Apple signature
2) Review the .app's access to macOS API's/features (Desktop folder, Documents folder, Downloads folder, Photos, Calendar, Reminders)
3) SVN was removed from Apple's tool-chains as of around July 2020 (it's no longer part of XCode / Command Line Tools). TheIDE should configure a fallback path for finding SVN through the path(s) installed package managers like Homebrew or MacPorts (actually, TheIDE should probably offer to install/setup SVN when it is not found). Right now this requires a slew of workarounds.

Just some feedback to make the macOS port of TheIDE a more functional user experience.
Re: The IDE on macOS [message #56773 is a reply to message #56771] Thu, 15 April 2021 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
MattM wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 03:58
Hello,

I just wanted to provide some feedback on my attempts to use U++'s IDE on macOS Catalina. There seems to be a few areas to improve on:

1) Get the .app signed with an Apple signature
2) Review the .app's access to macOS API's/features (Desktop folder, Documents folder, Downloads folder, Photos, Calendar, Reminders)
3) SVN was removed from Apple's tool-chains as of around July 2020 (it's no longer part of XCode / Command Line Tools). TheIDE should configure a fallback path for finding SVN through the path(s) installed package managers like Homebrew or MacPorts (actually, TheIDE should probably offer to install/setup SVN when it is not found). Right now this requires a slew of workarounds.

Just some feedback to make the macOS port of TheIDE a more functional user experience.

Thanks. Admittedly, MacOS so far gets the least attention of 3 supported systems, especially MacOS related stuff.

Hopefully point 3) will be resolved with next release, it was just a bug - the intention was that all should work without svn, but a problem with initial configuration prevented that.

Any help with 1) would be welcome.

Mirek

[Updated on: Thu, 15 April 2021 08:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The IDE on macOS [message #56775 is a reply to message #56773] Thu, 15 April 2021 09:16 Go to previous message
MattM
For what it is worth, I am having a devil of a time getting #3 to work. There seems to be a very annoying issue, and perhaps this is what you meant by "a problem with the initial configuration", but I keep getting "error the subversion command line tools are no longer provided by xcode" no matter how I install svn. I used Homebrew, I messed around with XCode CLI tools (removing, installing, reinstalling, resetting, etc.), I tried creating aliases in all sorts of /usr/ folders (and sub-folders) as well as even doing trying to add it in PATH via /etc/paths.d .... apparently nothing will get TheIDE to find the proper SVN instance.

I even, just to try thinking outside the box, tried the nightly build from 4/14/2021. That latest nightly build just opens the "Svn checkout ..." window but does nothing (I waited for over 30 mins and nothing happened). Not sure what I need to do to get TheIDE to work. Any help would be appreciated, thank you Smile

EDIT: Nevermind, my MacBook crashed and restarted. Doing some simple clean-up of .config and .cache then after alongside a fresh install of Upp to "~/" seemed to fix the problem. A little bit of voodoo to be sure.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 April 2021 10:51]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: using wine with U++ code
Next Topic: Copying package settings, state/session, and configuration to other systems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:53:17 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01552 seconds