Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » U++ and Vulkan SDK
U++ and Vulkan SDK [message #56853] Wed, 21 April 2021 12:06 Go to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
Hello U++,

I have spent time looking at vulkan and trying to do some thing with it. As a U++ user, I have think out how I could implement it into U++ to provide at least a Vulkan Ctrl.
The task of providing a simple Vulkan Ctrl which is capable of printing a Vulkan pixel buffer into the screen should not be that hard. However, I think it would be better to provide via this vulkan implementation a complete set of all tools used to developpe under Vulkan.
Thoses tools, normally provided by the LunarG Vulkan SDK are really important in the developpement cycle of a typical vulkan application. That's why, when, as user, I think about going onto UppHUB to download the VulkanCtrl, I'm expecting to have all tools to developpe vulkan application using this Vulkan Ctrl.

In this idea, I'm wondering if it is possible, nor usefull, to implement in TheIDE a way to download file (like this SDK) and install it (by asking permission to users obviously).
By adding thoses kinds of features, users only have to click on "download Vulkan Ctrl" to have all importantes features of vulkan installed and to be ready to work with it as quickly and simply as posible.

What you think about this idea ?

Best regards
Re: U++ and Vulkan SDK [message #56854 is a reply to message #56853] Wed, 21 April 2021 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Xemuth wrote on Wed, 21 April 2021 12:06
Hello U++,

I have spent time looking at vulkan and trying to do some thing with it. As a U++ user, I have think out how I could implement it into U++ to provide at least a Vulkan Ctrl.
The task of providing a simple Vulkan Ctrl which is capable of printing a Vulkan pixel buffer into the screen should not be that hard. However, I think it would be better to provide via this vulkan implementation a complete set of all tools used to developpe under Vulkan.
Thoses tools, normally provided by the LunarG Vulkan SDK are really important in the developpement cycle of a typical vulkan application. That's why, when, as user, I think about going onto UppHUB to download the VulkanCtrl, I'm expecting to have all tools to developpe vulkan application using this Vulkan Ctrl.

In this idea, I'm wondering if it is possible, nor usefull, to implement in TheIDE a way to download file (like this SDK) and install it (by asking permission to users obviously).
By adding thoses kinds of features, users only have to click on "download Vulkan Ctrl" to have all importantes features of vulkan installed and to be ready to work with it as quickly and simply as posible.

What you think about this idea ?

Best regards

I would like to have that and was already thinking about it. Unfortunately I do not think there is a simple/clean way how to do that...

But I am definitely open to discussion.

Now thinking about it, maybe it would be actually possible to ship the whole SDK as part of package somehow? Like introducing "bin" subfolder of package or something like that. Of course, that would only help for Win32.

Not sure how to handle that in Linux. Maybe a set of installation scripts for various distros? I guess users would be disappointed about having win32 oriented SDK installed with upphub....

Mirek
Re: U++ and Vulkan SDK [message #56856 is a reply to message #56854] Wed, 21 April 2021 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
ow thinking about it, maybe it would be actually possible to ship the whole SDK as part of package somehow? Like introducing "bin" subfolder of package or something like that.

If we take the Vulkan SDK as an example, the installation executable will set up some path variable. this assertion could be true for some other package, so installing it as part of the Ctrl like a bin directory is not, IMO, a good idea. It mean that all users which already have the SDK installed in a proper way will have 2 differents SDK located at 2 differents places.

Quote:
I do not think there is a simple/clean way how to do that

Indeed, maybe the simplest way to do it is by simply, in case of Vulkan Ctrl, reference somewhere in the package that this one need to have a SDK (or lib) installed to work and, in downloading (or even starting compilation of code) TheIDE could just ask to the user if the install executable should be downloaded ( "The LunarG Vulkan SDK is necessary to run this package, would you like to download the SDK ?" ) and as soon the user say "yes" then TheIDE download the executable (in case of windows) from official website and execute him. Reste of scenario is left to the user which will be able to configure all insallation setup.
Re: U++ and Vulkan SDK [message #56860 is a reply to message #56853] Thu, 22 April 2021 13:54 Go to previous message
To speak more about a UppHub package that requiere external depedencies like a possible Vulkan one. It's, most of time(nor always), possible that build method need to be modified to includes thoses externals dependencies. IMO, having a single package modifiying the actual build method is a bad way of working. However, Maybe it could be possible to add a way to import build method from a UppHUB repository. At the time you download a package like VulkanCtrl, TheIDE ask you if you want to import custom build method that come with this package. What you think about this idea Mirek ?
Previous Topic: [Proposal] Markdown to QTF converter/parser
Next Topic: problems compiling nightly on MSVS2019/2017 nested lambda's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 16:32:43 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02754 seconds