FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » theide with libclang
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58634 is a reply to message #58633] Thu, 07 July 2022 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 12:49
So Ctrl+Space does show something?

You can also try something selfcontained (no headers) like

struct Foo { int x; };

void foo() { Foo(). };

Mirek

With or without CXTranslationUnit_PrecompiledPreamble?

Regards,
Novo
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58635 is a reply to message #58632] Thu, 07 July 2022 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Novo wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 12:41

Interestingly, umk doesn't check dependencies anymore. I need to "rebuild all" each time.

This happens after "git restore". Maybe, git is getting time of last change and setting it on a file ...
It is hard to tell what is going on here.

Regards,
Novo
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58636 is a reply to message #58633] Thu, 07 July 2022 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

struct Foo { int x; };

void foo() { Foo(). };

Mirek

In this case it works (with CXTranslationUnit_PrecompiledPreamble and no headers at all).

Regards,
Novo
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58637 is a reply to message #58636] Thu, 07 July 2022 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 19:05

struct Foo { int x; };

void foo() { Foo(). };

Mirek

In this case it works (with CXTranslationUnit_PrecompiledPreamble and no headers at all).

Now probably stupid question, I am just asking because I was there before: Are you sure your test code is syntactically correct? Does it compile? Is not it e.g. in #if 0 block?

Also: What happens if you actually add some header? Does it break?

Mirek

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2022 19:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58638 is a reply to message #58637] Thu, 07 July 2022 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 13:10

Now probably stupid question, I am just asking because I was there before: Are you sure your test code is syntactically correct? Does it compile? Is not it e.g. in #if 0 block?

I tested with this app.
It is a real app. And autocomplition doesn't work at any place.

I checked with another app. Dot works there ...

Another problem: Ctrl+Space ignores locally defined symbols.

Regards,
Novo
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58639 is a reply to message #58637] Thu, 07 July 2022 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 13:10

Also: What happens if you actually add some header? Does it break?

Adding "#include <iostream>" doesn't break it.

Regards,
Novo
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58640 is a reply to message #58639] Thu, 07 July 2022 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
I'm testing TheIDE on Void Linux (rolling distro), which is using clang version 12.0.1 at this time.

Regards,
Novo
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58641 is a reply to message #58640] Thu, 07 July 2022 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 20:15
I'm testing TheIDE on Void Linux (rolling distro), which is using clang version 12.0.1 at this time.

Well, in Windows I am at clang 14, in Linux clang 10 so that is unlikely the issue.

That said, you still have not told me what Ctrl+Space does. Obviously it shows something based on your posts.

Does it show U++ functions e.g.?

Or, opposite, does autocomplete work with std::string? (with proper includes, of course) (in that case there would be a problem with include paths)

Mirek
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58643 is a reply to message #58641] Thu, 07 July 2022 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 14:44

That said, you still have not told me what Ctrl+Space does. Obviously it shows something based on your posts.

App, where autocompletion works:
bool amap::AnalyzeMap(String fn) {
	String map = LoadFile(fn);
	char nm[1024];
	if (IsNull(map))
		return false;

MapFileParser::MSVC MSVC(map);
	MapFileParser::CodeWarriorW CWW(map);
	MapFileParser::CodeWarrior CW(map);
	MapFileParser::PS3 PS3(map);
	MapFileParser::GCC3 GCC3(map, mcr);

int addr;
	int sect_len;
	int prev_size = 0;
	uint64 pref_addr;
	int size;
	int modulen;
	int filen;
	String sect_name;
	String sect_class;
	String funct_name;
	String module_name;
	String file_name;
	String app_name;
	String time_stamp;
	One<MFile> cur_mfile(new MFile);

if (map.StartsWith(elf::ElfMagic, 4)) {
		// Elf file.
		is32bit = map[4] == elf::ELFCLASS32;
		isLittleEndian = map[5] == elf::ELFDATA2LSB;
		const uint8 osABI = map[6];
		const uint8 abiVersion = map[7];
		const elf::Elf32_Ehdr* hdr = reinterpret_cast<const elf::Elf32_Ehdr*>(map.Begin());

If I enter "file_" and press Ctrl+Space I get "file_handle". file_name, which is defined locally, is ignored.
I do not know what Ctrl+Space is supposed to do, but it definitely not doing anything useful to me.

Regards,
Novo
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58644 is a reply to message #58641] Thu, 07 July 2022 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Or, opposite, does autocomplete work with std::string? (with proper includes, of course) (in that case there would be a problem with include paths)

std::string works. Below is my test case.
#include <string>

struct Foo { int x; };

void foo() { Foo(); };

int main(int argc, const char *argv[])
{
	std::string str;
	str.
	return 0;
}

Regards,
Novo
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58645 is a reply to message #58641] Thu, 07 July 2022 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

In an app, where "dot" doesn't work Ctrl+Space shows functions from the top level (U++ functions). That works.

Regards,
Novo
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58646 is a reply to message #58638] Sat, 09 July 2022 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Novo wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 13:39

I tested with this app.
It is a real app. And autocompletion doesn't work at any place.

Actually, it works for locally defined symbols.
TheIDE is unable to resolve and autocomplete members of a class.
The app is just one cpp file less that 2K lines of code.

I believe this is a problem with libclang because I'm getting the same behavior with VIM and ccls Language Server. Smile

I believe you need to use LibTooling instead of LibClang with TheIDE. Smile

Regards,
Novo
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58647 is a reply to message #58646] Sat, 09 July 2022 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Sat, 09 July 2022 00:32
Novo wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 13:39

I tested with this app.
It is a real app. And autocompletion doesn't work at any place.

Actually, it works for locally defined symbols.
TheIDE is unable to resolve and autocomplete members of a class.
The app is just one cpp file less that 2K lines of code.

I believe this is a problem with libclang because I'm getting the same behavior with VIM and ccls Language Server. Smile

I believe you need to use LibTooling instead of LibClang with TheIDE. Smile

After playing with it for a while I think it is that preamble issue again. I have returned #ifdef to HEAD, after that your code snippet started showing correct autocomplete.

Now it is definitely a temporary solution as it is quite slow that way, hopefully we will find a fix soon.

Mirek
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58648 is a reply to message #58647] Sat, 09 July 2022 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Sat, 09 July 2022 07:11

Now it is definitely a temporary solution as it is quite slow that way, hopefully we will find a fix soon.

I tested latest source code.
I do not see any changes.
Basically, source code where autocompletion doesn't work:
bool App::Parse(const String& file_name) {
	using namespace conllu;

FileMapping s;
	if (!s.Open(file_name))
		return false;
	if (!s.Map(0, static_cast<dword>(s.GetFileSize())))
		return false;

arr.Clear();
	sent.Clear();
	conlluTree.Clear();

sentv.Clear();
	Parser p(reinterpret_cast<const char*>(s.Begin()), reinterpret_cast<const char*>(s.End()), sentv);

while (p.Sentence()) ;

for (const drtree::Sentence& v: sentv)
		sent.Add(AsString(v.GetWordV().GetCount()), v.GetText());

return true;
}

In case of "arr.", "sent.", "conlluTree.", e.t.c. autocompletion doesn't work.
In case of "s." and "p." it does.

The only reason LibClang is needed is "name resolution". It is much harder to develop a name resolution algorithm than to make a C++ parser itself. If name resolution doesn't work for some reason, then there is no reason to use LibClang. There are better solutions for parsing.

Regards,
Novo
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58650 is a reply to message #58648] Sun, 10 July 2022 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Sat, 09 July 2022 19:44
mirek wrote on Sat, 09 July 2022 07:11

I tested latest source code.
I do not see any changes.
Basically, source code where autocompletion doesn't work:
bool App::Parse(const String& file_name) {
	using namespace conllu;

FileMapping s;
	if (!s.Open(file_name))
		return false;
	if (!s.Map(0, static_cast<dword>(s.GetFileSize())))
		return false;

arr.Clear();
	sent.Clear();
	conlluTree.Clear();

sentv.Clear();
	Parser p(reinterpret_cast<const char*>(s.Begin()), reinterpret_cast<const char*>(s.End()), sentv);

while (p.Sentence()) ;

for (const drtree::Sentence& v: sentv)
		sent.Add(AsString(v.GetWordV().GetCount()), v.GetText());

return true;
}

In case of "arr.", "sent.", "conlluTree.", e.t.c. autocompletion doesn't work.
In case of "s." and "p." it does.

The only reason LibClang is needed is "name resolution". It is much harder to develop a name resolution algorithm than to make a C++ parser itself. If name resolution doesn't work for some reason, then there is no reason to use LibClang.

It works 100% with clang 14 in Windows, hence I think the problem is somewhere else than in clang. It works without preamble in clang 10 for me too. Too soon to try something else at this point.

Now this is one of troubles I expected before going clang - we are now victim of external incompatibilities. But what is done is done.

Quote:
There are better solutions for parsing.

And these are?

Mirek

[Updated on: Sun, 10 July 2022 00:52]

Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58651 is a reply to message #58650] Sun, 10 July 2022 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Sat, 09 July 2022 18:49

And these are?

Tree-sitter - it has been a big thing for several years.

Regards,
Novo
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58652 is a reply to message #58650] Sun, 10 July 2022 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

It works 100% with clang 14 in Windows, hence I think the problem is somewhere else than in clang. It works without preamble in clang 10 for me too. Too soon to try something else at this point.

IMHO, you just haven't tested it very well yet. I was just "lucky" to hit a bug with my first test. My code is not that complicated. It is mostly C++98, but I use a lot of simple templates, but nothing fancy like SFINAE.

Now this is one of troubles I expected before going clang - we are now victim of external incompatibilities. But what is done is done.

I do not think this is a Windows/Linux (or version of clang) incompatibility problem. I'm getting the same behavior with VIM and ccls (which is similar to clangd), and with Kakoune and kak-lsp + ccls. I use this technology for several years and I never rely on clang autocompletion, but "goto definition" works very well for me. Even in this broken app "goto definition" of sentv work fine, but for some reason language server is unable to figure out a type of sentv. This is weird. This shouldn't be a problem.

So, I personally feel fine with using LibClang + VIM because VIM has at least half a dozen of different builtin autocompletion tools. I do not care even when LibClang-related tools crash from time to time because they are out of process tools. I just do not know which part of the system (libclang or ccls) is responsible for all these problems.
But in case of TheIDE this can be a bigger problem, IMHO.

Regards,
Novo
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58653 is a reply to message #58652] Sun, 10 July 2022 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Sun, 10 July 2022 02:53

IMHO, you just haven't tested it very well yet. I was just "lucky" to hit a bug with my first test. My code is not that complicated. It is mostly C++98, but I use a lot of simple templates, but nothing fancy like SFINAE.

In Windows, I am using autocomplete for real work (really complex C++17 rich project) for about 14 days. Works flawlessly (of course, gradually maturing some things, but I have not encountered moment when it would fail to provide correct list of methods/variables).

I could try with your code if I could download it somewhere. If I delete "unknown" stuff from short snippets you are posting, it works fine in Windows/libclang 14.

Mirek
Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58654 is a reply to message #58653] Sun, 10 July 2022 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

Few remarks from me while testing new implementation with uppsrc/ide project on Linux.

It doesn't assist with member variables. For example in idewin.cpp (Ide::ConsolePaste()) with following code:
void Ide::ConsolePaste()
{
	String s = ReadClipboardText();
	if(!IsNull(s)) {
		s.Insert(0, '\n');
		int len = console.GetLength();
		console.Insert(len, s.ToWString());
		console.SetCursor(len + 1);
		console. // <- No help at all
	}
}

The other problem within the same method is that CTRL+Space work with s. It doesn't show functionality with AString, which is essential for working with String:
{
	if(!IsNull(s)) {
		s.Insert(0, '\n');
		s. // <- No AString method, only derived method from String
	}
}

In the same place when you "include <string>" from standard library, assist will do not show anything:
{
	if(!IsNull(s)) {
		s.Insert(0, '\n');
		std::string str2;
                str2. // <- No assist...
	}
}

Also, I just noticed that CTRL+Space for String is slow for example in release mode. It is not immediate and it takes some time until dialog appear on the screen. The lag is perceptible.

--------------------------
The code navigation works correct and it is fast (CTRL+Left Mouse Button) and for me it looks like improvement.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Sun, 10 July 2022 11:08]

Re: theide with libclang, first milestone finished [message #58655 is a reply to message #58654] Sun, 10 July 2022 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Member
index.php?t=getfile&id=6629&private=0

So there is definitely some issue with my libclang usage that demonstrates as a problem in Linux, something to figure out, but I do not think this is time to capitulate yet.

As for code navigation, that is still my old code, that is the next milestone to change that to libclang.

Things being slow are worked on as well.

Mirek

[Updated on: Sun, 10 July 2022 16:57]

Previous Topic: Impressive improvement in stl::vector when dealing with raw memory.
Next Topic: about unicode supporting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:35:50 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03402 seconds