Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » External resources » JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence
JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence [message #381] Sat, 10 December 2005 17:41 Go to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce/

[Updated on: Sat, 10 December 2005 17:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence [message #7388 is a reply to message #381] Tue, 26 December 2006 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
Has anyone had the change to use JUCE? How is it? Any advantages/disadvantages from U++?
Re: JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence [message #7393 is a reply to message #7388] Tue, 26 December 2006 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
captainc wrote on Tue, 26 December 2006 16:54

Has anyone had the change to use JUCE? How is it? Any advantages/disadvantages from U++?

Hello,

just one disadvantage that I consider very big: if you do not intend to share your source code you need to pay a license. In U++ does not exist such limitation.

Luigi

[Updated on: Tue, 26 December 2006 19:32]

Re: JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence [message #7395 is a reply to message #381] Tue, 26 December 2006 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
Four pages of review here
http://www.regdeveloper.com/2006/12/18/juce_cross_platform/

I just tried the demo. Juce doesn't provide native look and feel which I think is a big disadvantage. Juce source code probably has a few more comments in it than U++ Smile though that doesn't seem to bother people here. I bet it doesn't have assist++ though, which is a classy tool. There's probably other important differences like U++ being database oriented and Juce being audio oriented.

Graeme

[Updated on: Tue, 26 December 2006 23:43]

Re: JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence [message #7401 is a reply to message #381] Wed, 27 December 2006 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ulti is currently offline  Ulti
Experienced Member
I just downloaded a demo from:http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce/download.php
and tried it,the demo GUI is Mac style,more better than Windows.if U++ can provide MAC theme on Windows,that would be very nice.
U++'s BSD license is more advantage than it's license(GPL and Commercial like MySQL)
Re: JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence [message #7404 is a reply to message #7401] Wed, 27 December 2006 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Ulti wrote on Tue, 26 December 2006 20:58

if U++ can provide MAC theme on Windows,that would be very nice.

U++ in principle can. Or you can install XP theme emulating Aqua and U++ uses it.

Mirek

Re: JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence [message #7405 is a reply to message #7404] Wed, 27 December 2006 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
JUCE code:

class RatingColumnCustomComponent    : public Component,
                                           public ComboBoxListener
    {
    public:
        RatingColumnCustomComponent (TableDemoComponent& owner_)
            : owner (owner_)
        {
            // just put a combo box inside this component
            addAndMakeVisible (comboBox = new ComboBox (String::empty));
            comboBox->addItem (T("fab"), 1);
            comboBox->addItem (T("groovy"), 2);
            comboBox->addItem (T("hep"), 3);
            comboBox->addItem (T("neat"), 4);
            comboBox->addItem (T("wild"), 5);
            comboBox->addItem (T("swingin"), 6);
            comboBox->addItem (T("mad for it"), 7);

// when the combo is changed, we'll get a callback.
            comboBox->addListener (this);
            comboBox->setWantsKeyboardFocus (false);
        }

~RatingColumnCustomComponent()
        {
            deleteAllChildren();
        }

void resized()
        {
            comboBox->setBoundsInset (BorderSize (2));
        }

// Our demo code will call this when we may need to update our contents
        void setRowAndColumn (const int newRow, const int newColumn)
        {
            row = newRow;
            columnId = newColumn;
            comboBox->setSelectedId (owner.getRating (row, columnId), true);
        }

void comboBoxChanged (ComboBox* comboBoxThatHasChanged)
        {
            owner.setRating (row, columnId, comboBox->getSelectedId());
        }

private:
        TableDemoComponent& owner;
        ComboBox* comboBox;
        int row, columnId;
    };

Now this has all quirks we are trying to avoid. Why is comboBox allocated on the heap? Why should I test in comboBoxChanged which combobox did? - BTW the only purpose of this class seems to be to isolate particular combobox in the dialog. Why should I take care about "deleting all children" in destructor?

In U++, 50% of above code is unnecessary.

OTOH, of course, MacOS X is something JUCE has and U++ does not - something to add quickly...
Re: JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence [message #15503 is a reply to message #7405] Sun, 27 April 2008 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cdoty is currently offline  cdoty
Promising Member

Oooh pretty! It's got a lot of eye candy. It seems to be aimed more at a home user application, versus a business application for U++.

Here's my quick summary:

Pros:
1) Allows the use of the IDE you are comfortable with. VC6, VC8, or Codeblocks (Under Windows, I didn't try Linux).

2) Compiles cleanly under VC6, after a few small non-code changes (See below). Sorry, I'm a diehard VC6 user!

3) Has some unique controls (or it's pretty!):
a) The circular slider is pretty impressive.
b) The ability to have the tabs on the top, bottom, or either side is nice.
c) The resizable toolbar is nice.
d) Has a control that can be 'dragged onto the desktop'

Cons:
1) The licensing fee is expensive.

2) It doesn't compile cleanly on install (on Windows). The Juce_config.h file needs to be changed to not use the ASIO and Quicktime libraries. And, you need the Platform SDK. The March 2003 one worked fine. This is the last version that works with VC6.

3) The demo source code feels a lot more like standard Win32 style programming wrapped in C++, compared to U++.

I wonder if an application written using Juce would be less threating to a non-computer user than a U++ style program?

a3e77f341aa1d91d0388a0c8b786e8b5

[Updated on: Sun, 27 April 2008 06:15]

Re: JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence [message #15507 is a reply to message #15503] Sun, 27 April 2008 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cdoty wrote on Sat, 26 April 2008 18:18

Oooh pretty! It's got a lot of eye candy.

Well, maybe one day, when Norbert finaly finds some time to actually take some screenshots of application I was cooperating on last year, you will see what is U++ eyecandy Smile

Mirek
Re: JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence [message #15509 is a reply to message #15507] Sun, 27 April 2008 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
cdoty wrote on Sat, 26 April 2008 18:18

Oooh pretty! It's got a lot of eye candy.

Eye candy is great. But so is native look & feel. Maybe we can attract some artists in the future who would provide a couple of optional really good looking and maintained skins to U++, and then we would have the best of both worlds. Or maybe we could steal some Gtk+ themes Razz.

I don't really like JUCE from the brief look I had. My reasons are quite subjective, but it's too Java style and listeners are pretty nasty for GUIs IMO.
Re: JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence [message #15521 is a reply to message #15503] Mon, 28 April 2008 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
Just a few quick thoughts:

cdoty wrote on Sat, 26 April 2008 23:18

3) Has some unique controls (or it's pretty!):
a) The circular slider is pretty impressive.
b) The ability to have the tabs on the top, bottom, or either side is nice.
c) The resizable toolbar is nice.
d) Has a control that can be 'dragged onto the desktop'

a) This is actually trivial to implement. It's probably using a rotated semi-circle for the bar an otherwise it's almost identical to a normal slider. The other ones displayed are more interesting functionally, though of limited use.
b) You can do this in Upp already, see the TabBar package in Bazaar. It could use a little attention, but generally it's there.
c) I agree on that one. The current BarCtrl implementation is somewhat limited, and prevents some other advancements like moveable ToolBars.
d) It's only a popup Smile. The impressive bit is that it's transparent, and if it works on X11 it might be adviseable to see what calls are being made. I'd really really like transparent popups in Upp!

Quote:

I wonder if an application written using Juce would be less threating to a non-computer user than a U++ style program?

It certainly looks very nice and stylish, but IMO it is a big problem not to support native-look. I would prefer the Upp approach of starting by fitting in the OS and allowing the developer to change it if desired. I think some thought could perhaps go into making this easier though, it's really quite difficult at the moment..

One more thing though. JUCE apparently supports all three platforms, which is a nice feature in these uncertain times. Is the MAC Upp port still underway?

James.
Re: JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence [message #15525 is a reply to message #15521] Mon, 28 April 2008 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mrjt wrote on Sun, 27 April 2008 19:13

One more thing though. JUCE apparently supports all three platforms, which is a nice feature in these uncertain times. Is the MAC Upp port still underway?

James.

Well, unfortunately, nothing seems to be progressing right now... Sad

One of reasons is that the original plan was to use Carbon, but now Apple seems not to support this anymore. Means Cocoa and ObjectiveC... will be mess Smile

Mirek
Re: JUCE (widgets and library) GNU Public Licence [message #15554 is a reply to message #15521] Tue, 29 April 2008 04:28 Go to previous message
cdoty is currently offline  cdoty
Promising Member

mrjt wrote on Sun, 27 April 2008 18:13

It certainly looks very nice and stylish, but IMO it is a big problem not to support native-look. I would prefer the Upp approach of starting by fitting in the OS and allowing the developer to change it if desired. I think some thought could perhaps go into making this easier though, it's really quite difficult at the moment..

I agree, for a user that is comfortable with a computer. Nothing annoys an experienced user quicker than a oversimplified cute interface. But, I'm wondering if someone new to a computer would find the Juce style interface more inviting to play with?

a3e77f341aa1d91d0388a0c8b786e8b5

[Updated on: Tue, 29 April 2008 04:29]

Previous Topic: Interesteing RwLock implementation
Next Topic: XVT comparison missing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:23:50 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02334 seconds