Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Add a new build method (How to do it using the dialogs in TheIDE)
Add a new build method [message #59612] Wed, 15 February 2023 05:14 Go to next message
whiffee is currently offline  whiffee
Hi All,

Just getting started with U++, 16660 Windows. I wanted to add the minGW compiler into The IDE
via >Setup>Build_methods, but it didn't work. That is, using the default attributes for minGW and the
path for it, no .bm file was written. When I quit the application and restarted it, the original information
was still listed in the dialog box, it's just that no .bm file was written for it.

Since it looked like U++ is good at sniffing out compilers when first run, I tried to get it to find minGW
by letting it configure16270 and 16721. However, neither version succeeded in finding the compiler and
writing a .bm file for it. When I tried with 16721 I made sure that minGW occupied a prominent branch
in the system tree, and that it was recorded in the environment PATH.

It almost seems that the app is limited to seven compilers. If this is the case, let me know and I'll try
to get rid of a couple of the MSBTs.

thanks
Gary
Re: Add a new build method [message #59629 is a reply to message #59612] Sun, 19 February 2023 10:23 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
whiffee wrote on Wed, 15 February 2023 05:14
Hi All,

Just getting started with U++, 16660 Windows. I wanted to add the minGW compiler into The IDE
via >Setup>Build_methods, but it didn't work. That is, using the default attributes for minGW and the
path for it, no .bm file was written. When I quit the application and restarted it, the original information
was still listed in the dialog box, it's just that no .bm file was written for it.

Since it looked like U++ is good at sniffing out compilers when first run, I tried to get it to find minGW
by letting it configure16270 and 16721. However, neither version succeeded in finding the compiler and
writing a .bm file for it. When I tried with 16721 I made sure that minGW occupied a prominent branch
in the system tree, and that it was recorded in the environment PATH.

It almost seems that the app is limited to seven compilers. If this is the case, let me know and I'll try
to get rid of a couple of the MSBTs.

thanks
Gary

You can use mingw, but you have to manually setup build method.

It is not supported because mingw toolchain has no advantage to clang-mingw shipped with U++. The most important disadvantage is that linker is like 20 times slower, which makes it borderline unusable. Not worth of trouble trying to detect it presence.

Mirek

Previous Topic: Button text, background and click color
Next Topic: Layout files versus embedded code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:40:36 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03250 seconds