Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Greetings! (and a bug report)
Greetings! (and a bug report) [message #60186] Wed, 27 September 2023 14:46 Go to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Hello U++ Community!

Long time no see! How have things been going? I see a lot of new stuff, but barely updated to latest version.

I had several projects in the past but for the last few years I've been working on things that were not using U++/C++, but now I'm back to older projects. I hoped in on and off to briefly fix a bug or two, but the last U++ version that worked for us was 12587. All future versions exhibited compilation problems and other issues and I did not have time to investigate. Even in 12587 there were problems, more on that later. And I was slightly intimidated by clang.

But I did the jump today, both updating, and Clang, Clang mainly because due to policy changes we no longer used VS in years and the MINGW debugger in 12587 was barely working. I'm glad to report that the clang one is much better, and most importantly, it does not downright lie about which branch the code took.

But now the latest U++ compiles all the console projects and it works and debugs perfectly (which is strange, I'm 99% sure I had a minor fix or two in core, need to investigate).

GUI stuff isn't compiling, complaining about utf8len, but I found Utf8Len, which takes fewer params. Fixable. And TreeCtrl tends to assert indices.

Also, using a forked CodeEditor, because back in the day I was not able to get CodeEditor to do what I wanted. Hopefully now I can fix it and no longer use the forked CodeEditor.

So everything is looking fine and looking forward to unforking everything.

If your curious why there were issues migrating to never versions, there was a very stupid bug: a missing return statement for a pointer. VS had no issue so we never noticed (probably that bug is 8+ years old) and somehow 12587 was stale with some MINGW versions.

The other bug had no explanation, until today:
String s = "C:\\temp\\";
FindFile ff(s);
Cout() << ff.IsFolder() << "\n";

This is true/false based on Release/Debug build if trialing "\\".

PS: How did the clang switch go? Is this the future of C++?
Re: Greetings! (and a bug report) [message #60193 is a reply to message #60186] Mon, 02 October 2023 23:55 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Welcome back.

cbpporter wrote on Wed, 27 September 2023 14:46

PS: How did the clang switch go? Is this the future of C++?

clang (compiler) or libclang (library interface to clang that we are now using for assist++)?

First one was easy, second one not so much but definitely worth it...

Mirek
Previous Topic: HTML viewer
Next Topic: Chat GPT wrote this
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:07:11 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04103 seconds