Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » "new maintainers thread"
"new maintainers thread" [message #4370] Thu, 03 August 2006 13:38 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
OK, for those willing to participate on U++ development and past the phase of "obtaining uvs2 access" (if you want one, please PM me), this is PM to rbmatt but is common enough to make it public:

What you can do: First, you can now use latest sources, not to wait for next dev release Smile

It would be nice if you would start testing - theide package system is ideal for this, you can setup assemblies for your apps using "release" and "latest" sources (I mean, "c:\myapps;c:\upp\uppsrc" and "c:\myapps;c:\newupp\uppsrc).

Then, if you have time, try to get web generator running and generate content.

Alternativly, to play a little, there is also Win32 installation package generator (MakeInstall2).

Mirek
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4377 is a reply to message #4370] Thu, 03 August 2006 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

I have setup an assembly for using the "latest" files. And both the apps I am working on now do compile and seem to run ok.
Why is there a difference between uppsrc and uppsrc.uvs? Does that mean my local copy is not correctly up to sync- or somethine else?
Also, I notice some of the same files are in uppbox as uppsrc. Are these the same file on your computer, just referenced in two different places?

uppsrc.uvs is "local repository", to be used by uvs2 only. It is a black-box used by uvs2. Do not touch files there directly.

BTW, that is one of uvs2 features I would/will miss with normal versioning system - you can always launch uvs2 and review file history without connecting to the server (beacause all history is stored in local repository).

As for same files, which one are you speaking about (give me example as there are more explanations).

Mirek
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4378 is a reply to message #4377] Thu, 03 August 2006 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rbmatt is currently offline  rbmatt

I think I figured it out.

Just looking at the folders in uppsrc.uvs, I see "Browser" "Builders" and "Calc" that are not present in my uppsrc folder. Also in there is uppweb. I guess since UVS is supposed to be similar to CVS, it keeps track of file moves and deletions. So it looks like you moved uppweb out of uppsrc, but it's still in uppsrc.uvs for the "file history" of it.
Am I right?
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4473 is a reply to message #4377] Fri, 11 August 2006 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

In the course of testing and what not, I have managed to modify files that are under uvs (like, change the timestamp or topic++ files got compressed). Now everytime I want to sync, it wants to upload my changes- obviously I can't b/c I don't have write access, and I don't want to b/c its not necessary. Normally I pick "download only", but is there a way to clear my modifications and just download your latest version?
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4475 is a reply to message #4473] Fri, 11 August 2006 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Right click on "valid" version in file history and choose "overwrite current". Should be enough.

Mirek
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4476 is a reply to message #4475] Fri, 11 August 2006 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Worked great- thanks.
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4670 is a reply to message #4476] Sat, 19 August 2006 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Ok, I'm switching back to uvs2...
r20 works great!
But, when compiling uppweb,
I've got an error:
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'E:\Devel_upp\a_upp_Mirek_dev\out\Topic\MSC71.Gui\Topic.lib'

And there's no Topic dir in uncompressed uppsrc while it existed in my old uvs sources and still exists in uvs.uppsrc.
How to solve this problem?
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4672 is a reply to message #4670] Sat, 19 August 2006 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
more about Topic:
I added Topic package from subversion and now I've compiled uppweb but pages show COMPRESSED pages...
Ideas?
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4702 is a reply to message #4672] Sun, 20 August 2006 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
fudadmin wrote on Sat, 19 August 2006 11:29

more about Topic:
I added Topic package from subversion and now I've compiled uppweb but pages show COMPRESSED pages...
Ideas?

I'm repeating this post just to draw Mirek's atttention.
Am I very unlucky with uvs2 or something is not updated?
P.S. I need a book "how to use uvs2"... Smile
in short: what is export and import in uvs2? Do they work the same like in subversion?
Why then, when I try to export in uvs2, it starts connecting to the net?
P.S2. uvs2 is driving me mad... Twisted Evil Smile

Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4706 is a reply to message #4702] Sun, 20 August 2006 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Sun, 20 August 2006 15:13

fudadmin wrote on Sat, 19 August 2006 11:29

more about Topic:
Ideas?

I'm repeating this post just to draw Mirek's atttention.
Am I very unlucky with uvs2 or something is not updated?
P.S. I need a book "how to use uvs2"... Smile
in short: what is export and import in uvs2? Do they work the same like in subversion?
Why then, when I try to export in uvs2, it starts connecting to the net?
P.S2. uvs2 is driving me mad... Twisted Evil Smile

There are two major differences:

- there is no "export" or "import". There is single operation, called "Sync", that performs all necessary operations to upload your changes to global repository and download changes in global repository to your local repository and your sources.

- each client has his local repository. It stores complete history of all files; each Sync updates this in parellel to actual sources.

Now a little bit confusing bit is that people are often confused by this local repository - beacause its internal format is that snapshot of each file at the time of last Sync is stored there along with another file that stores version differences (uvs2 stores differences from latest version back - this saves space, as most differences are adding code).

Anyway, local repostory should be always a black box to you. If you want to see some historic version, launch uvs2.exe.

Also, if you perform a first Sync, complete local source tree and local repository are downloaded.

Also note that uvs2.exe in fact does not have an active server part. All necessary work is done by client, the backend is regular ftp server.

Mirek
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4708 is a reply to message #4706] Sun, 20 August 2006 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
So where can I find Topic now? It exists in what supposed to be localrepo but not in what I've assigned dir="E:\...."
What no more Topic in u++? Shocked
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4710 is a reply to message #4708] Sun, 20 August 2006 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
to have "local source tree" do I need to assign anything else or is it the first entry dir="E:\...."?
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4711 is a reply to message #4708] Sun, 20 August 2006 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Topic package was merged with ide/Topic and ide/Browser. There is no just ide/Browser, nothing more.

So the obvious problem is why compile process insisit on linking Topic.lib file. Do you have Topic package in theide list?

Mirek
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4715 is a reply to message #4710] Sun, 20 August 2006 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Sun, 20 August 2006 15:40

to have "local source tree" do I need to assign anything else or is it the first entry dir="E:\...."?

uppsrc -> "e:\uppsrc"

Actually, you can / might want to sync uppsrc with "e:\uppnew" - system of assemblies does not require to have "uppsrc".

Just make assembly e.g. "NewApps" : "c:\MyApps;e:\uppnew".

Mirek
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4718 is a reply to message #4711] Sun, 20 August 2006 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
luzr wrote on Sun, 20 August 2006 20:41

Topic package was merged with ide/Topic and ide/Browser. There is no just ide/Browser, nothing more.

So the obvious problem is why compile process insisit on linking Topic.lib file. Do you have Topic package in theide list?

Mirek

Do you mean that pieces (I see some: Topic.lay Topic.iml etc...) of former Topic files now reside in ide/Browser and I didn't need to copy that extra Topic package from older sources? Should be enough if I remove Topic package and recompile all? I'll try...
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4719 is a reply to message #4718] Sun, 20 August 2006 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
First of all, it is really strange that you have (?) Topic package there.

List of used packages is resolved from .upp files which are synced as well.

"Normal" action after Syncing uvs should be at most "rebuild all" - because for some reason, MS incremental linkter and/or .pdb generator and/or precompiled headers do cache some info which they do not renew correctly sometimes after sync - in fact, I am not sure what happens there, but rebuild all helps Wink

Once again, if there is "Topic" in list of packages, there some problem.

Mirek
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4721 is a reply to message #4718] Sun, 20 August 2006 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
fudadmin wrote on Sun, 20 August 2006 21:05

luzr wrote on Sun, 20 August 2006 20:41

Mirek

Do you mean that pieces (I see some: Topic.lay Topic.iml etc...) of former Topic files now reside in ide/Browser and I didn't need to copy that extra Topic package from older sources? Should be enough if I remove Topic package and recompile all? I'll try...

Ok! it works. Cool After more than six months I was able to compile uppweb! Could you check now and please then next time remove *all* not needed pakages from uppweb? Wink Laughing
Thanks a lot until my next chapter questions about uvs... Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 20 August 2006 22:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4724 is a reply to message #4721] Sun, 20 August 2006 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Ooops, I am sorry about Topic in uppweb.

I was thinking that you are speaking about TheIDE (where it is removed). Unfortunately, in uppweb it was still present and by accident, uppweb got compiled here because there was some old .lib copy in output tree. Now removed..

Mirek
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4725 is a reply to message #4721] Sun, 20 August 2006 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Do you mean Topic on the list appeared "by accident" because was cached somewhere? Any suspicious places? configs?
Re: "new maintainers thread" [message #4727 is a reply to message #4725] Sun, 20 August 2006 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Ok, I was started thinking that I'm too stupid for uppweb... Shocked Smile Never mind. Kind of a destiny maybe... Smile
Previous Topic: New user observations
Next Topic: Ultimate++ on download.com?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:14:06 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02006 seconds