Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ SQL » MySqlSession::EnumTables -> why uppercase?
MySqlSession::EnumTables -> why uppercase? [message #5284] Tue, 12 September 2006 14:46 Go to next message
nicomesas is currently offline  nicomesas
Experienced Member
Hi
I'm develop a small test on MySQL and I get the table names with the function MySqlSession::EnumTables. Well it's work fine, but I have seen that in the code the names of the tables change to uppercase. (line 169 on MySql/MySql.cpp)

Vector<String> MySqlSession::EnumTables(String database)
{
	Vector<String> out;
	Sql cursor(*this);
	if(cursor.Execute("show tables from " + database))
		out = FetchList(cursor, true);
	return out;
}

Soon attempt to make a SELECT on a table (that I have created with another application in windoz) and it select nothing:
I see the session.GetLastError() "skorg_dsrllo_v3.ACTIVIDADES' doesn't exist".

It is rare because the table ' actividades' if it exists, but in lower case. I suppose that this in windoz is no problem because the system is case-insensitive, but not in linux.

I am in the certain thing? I am mistaken? Perhaps I am the only person whom it likes to write the names of the tables in lower case in MySQL?

Good, I propose to so change line 169 of the file MySQL/MySQL.cpp that it so preserve the names of the tables and as the adminstrator decided at its moment.

Nico

[Updated on: Tue, 12 September 2006 14:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: MySqlSession::EnumTables -> why uppercase? [message #5285 is a reply to message #5284] Tue, 12 September 2006 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Interesting. I always thought that in SQL, all identifiers are case insensitive.

Mirek
Re: MySqlSession::EnumTables -> why uppercase? [message #5287 is a reply to message #5284] Tue, 12 September 2006 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I also believed it, but I read in a magazine few days ago there was an error of security in MySQL, by means of which a remote user could create an equal data base to another existing one as long as he used a different capitalization, and this problem did not exist now in Windows because his file system is case-insensitive.

This means that if db exists one called "anything" a malicious user could create a call "AnyThing".

I have been several years working with MySQL in Windows and it had never had problems of this type, but with the same DB in Linux, if I have a called table 'actividades' and do one "SELECT * FROM ACTIVIVADES" says to me that the table does not exist. This did not happen in Windows, I think.

It excuses my English so bad one.

Nico
Re: MySqlSession::EnumTables -> why uppercase? [message #5288 is a reply to message #5287] Tue, 12 September 2006 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Actually, as MySQL uses separate file for each table, named the same as the table, it seems to make the sense.

Well, try this (MySql.cpp)

Vector<String> MySqlSession::EnumTables(String database)
{
	Vector<String> out;
	Sql cursor(*this);
	if(cursor.Execute("show tables from " + database))
		out = FetchList(cursor, false); //<< Here is the change
	return out;
}

(When the author of MySql interface code is available once again, I will ask him what he meant by uppercasing these names Smile

Mirek
Re: MySqlSession::EnumTables -> why uppercase? [message #5290 is a reply to message #5284] Tue, 12 September 2006 15:42 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
Thanks, I finish it proving and works perfect.
Nico
Previous Topic: OkCommit problem
Next Topic: select(*)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:39:35 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04353 seconds