Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » Discussion of Displaytor
Discussion of Displaytor [message #5336] Thu, 14 September 2006 03:38 Go to next message
jadeite is currently offline  jadeite
In Sticky thread above "User lists of "bad" naming of classes, functions etc in U++... [message #1574]" regarding renaming of classes, functions, etc.: fundadmin suggest this:

"1. Display class -> Displaytor (because it's a functor and not physical display)"

No No No No No. This is the problem, not the solution. You need to use standard, consistent, straight-to-the-point, understandable names. "Displaytor" is the exact opposite of what you want. Yes, to you it makes perfect sense, but to a new user it means nothing but confusion. Don't use any tricky or shortcut names, except where the meaning is very obvious or in common usage. In this case, if you want people to know it is a functor, just say so:

"DisplayFunctor"

I have to say that I think your sticky thread above is of utmost importance. My biggest problem with U++ is the nonstandard names everywhere. This is primarily a language issue and not intentional I'm sure.

Edit: Sometimes the use of silly names gives the code a non-professional feeling, and can be a big turnoff to many people.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 September 2006 03:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Discussion of Displaytor [message #5362 is a reply to message #5336] Sat, 16 September 2006 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
jadeite wrote on Wed, 13 September 2006 21:38

Don't use any tricky or shortcut names, except where the meaning is very obvious or in common usage.

Is not this the case?

Quote:

In this case, if you want people to know it is a functor, just say so:

"DisplayFunctor"

A little bit too long for my taste.

Anyway, that is of course debatable. Just do not force us to adopt hungarian notation Wink

Quote:

Edit: Sometimes the use of silly names gives the code a non-professional feeling, and can be a big turnoff to many people.

The real trouble however is that it is a bit late for this kind of debate for the next release. For 611 we will have to hope that if people find U++ names weird, they will accept it as funny curiosity. In the end, programming is full of strange names even without U++...

Re: Discussion of Displaytor [message #5364 is a reply to message #5362] Sat, 16 September 2006 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luzr wrote on Fri, 15 September 2006 18:03

Don't use any tricky or shortcut names, except where the meaning is very obvious or in common usage.

Is not this the case?

I guess it could be, in some languages. I'm definitely not used to seeing it in English language usage, so maybe this is just a language issue.

Quote:

The real trouble however is that it is a bit late for this kind of debate for the next release. For 611 we will have to hope that if people find U++ names weird, they will accept it as funny curiosity. In the end, programming is full of strange names even without U++...

Yeah, I wouldn't have brought it up if it weren't for the sticky thread above.
Re: Discussion of Displaytor [message #5366 is a reply to message #5364] Sat, 16 September 2006 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
jadeite wrote on Fri, 15 September 2006 19:18

luzr wrote on Fri, 15 September 2006 18:03

Is not this the case?

I guess it could be, in some languages. I'm definitely not used to seeing it in English language usage, so maybe this is just a language issue.

I always thought "display" is that device on calculator that shows values? Smile This is exactly what Display instances do - show values...

(I am not arguing, rather improving my English knowledge).
Re: Discussion of Displaytor [message #5367 is a reply to message #5366] Sat, 16 September 2006 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
I think, "Display" is a good name. I don't think, that you have to encode design pattern names in classnames. It is unnecessary, stupid idea, just like hungarian notation.
I hate that too long classnames in Java also.
Re: Discussion of Displaytor [message #5368 is a reply to message #5367] Sat, 16 September 2006 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
zsolt wrote on Sat, 16 September 2006 04:15

I think, "Display" is a good name. I don't think, that you have to encode design pattern names in classnames. It is unnecessary, stupid idea, just like hungarian notation.
I hate that too long classnames in Java also.

To be fair, neither me and you are native english speakers... Smile
Re: Discussion of Displaytor [message #5369 is a reply to message #5368] Sat, 16 September 2006 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
Quote:

To be fair, neither me and you are native english speakers...

Yes, you are right, but I have problems with names like "Displaytor", "DisplayFunctor", etc. I think, these kind of suffixes ar absolutely unnecessary.
Re: Discussion of Displaytor [message #5370 is a reply to message #5369] Sat, 16 September 2006 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
zsolt wrote on Sat, 16 September 2006 05:13

Quote:

To be fair, neither me and you are native english speakers...

Yes, you are right, but I have problems with names like "Displaytor", "DisplayFunctor", etc. I think, these kind of suffixes ar absolutely unnecessary.

Yes, I agree.
Re: Discussion of Displaytor [message #5371 is a reply to message #5366] Sat, 16 September 2006 14:35 Go to previous message
luzr wrote on Sat, 16 September 2006 02:53

I always thought "display" is that device on calculator that shows values? Smile This is exactly what Display instances do - show values...

(I am not arguing, rather improving my English knowledge).

Oh, "Display" is perfectly fine. It is a very common word. I like Display.

I thought we were discussing using the word "Displaytor". Displaytor is what I do not like at all.
Previous Topic: things without window
Next Topic: small HttpClientGet bug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 04:26:00 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03180 seconds