Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » Where to submit patches?
Where to submit patches? [message #600] Tue, 17 January 2006 01:00 Go to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
I have some minor bugfixes to TreeCtrl and the new Report classes.
Where can I submit them? What kind of revision control system are you using? The SF CVS tree seems to be very old. It could be easy to generate patches without conflict if I could access to your real CVS server anonymously.
Re: Where to submit patches? [message #601 is a reply to message #600] Tue, 17 January 2006 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
This is a patch to the Report package.
It fixes the crash on end of printing and adds new constructors to be able to setup custom page sizes.
Is this format OK for you?
  • Attachment: report.patch
    (Size: 1.94KB, Downloaded 1854 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 17 January 2006 11:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Where to submit patches? [message #602 is a reply to message #601] Tue, 17 January 2006 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Stupid me... Thanks!
Re: Where to submit patches? [message #603 is a reply to message #601] Tue, 17 January 2006 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
P.S.: Format is OK, although so far I am using is just as plain text... Smile

Is there any nice GUI tool available to use it? (I am still reluctant to apply patches before closely examining them).
Re: Where to submit patches? [message #607 is a reply to message #600] Wed, 18 January 2006 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

> The SF CVS tree seems to be very old

I'm responisble for cvs. Unfortunatelly my connection to sf cvs is extremely slow so upp repository is not updated from some time. Second reason is I had to pass user password many times during commiting what drived me crazy. I know it can be done automatically but I failed configuring it...
Anyway I'm waiting sf to move to svn. It should be done soon...

PS: Of course having cvs up to date do not change anything if it comes to apply patches Smile Mirek and Tom use their own versioning control system.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 January 2006 08:59]

Re: Where to submit patches? [message #608 is a reply to message #600] Wed, 18 January 2006 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
I have created a patch against 20060116 snapshot to be able to compile on POSIX. I'm using gcc 3.3.5 on Ubuntu.

luzr: I'm using CVS repo and LinCVS GUI to examine patches in my projects. For simple diffing, the best is gvimdiff IMHO.

Some comments on patch:
FixName(): I don't know if this function is used on POSIX systems?
Ide::Opposite() method: there was some naming coflict, but I don't know why? So I renamed this method to Ide::OnOpposite().

[Updated on: Wed, 18 January 2006 15:34]

Re: Where to submit patches? [message #609 is a reply to message #600] Wed, 18 January 2006 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
A patch against 20060116 snapshot to be able to compile Draw on POSIX
Re: Where to submit patches? [message #610 is a reply to message #600] Wed, 18 January 2006 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
A patch against 20060116 snapshot: some fixes on TreeCtrl
  • Attachment: TreeFix.patch
    (Size: 1.26KB, Downloaded 1817 times)
Re: Where to submit patches? [message #611 is a reply to message #608] Wed, 18 January 2006 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
zsolt wrote on Wed, 18 January 2006 09:09

Some comments on patch:
FixName(): I don't know if this function is used on POSIX systems?
Ide::Opposite() method: there was some naming coflict, but I don't know why? So I renamed this method to Ide::OnOpposite().

Well, what a pity, I did the same thing yesterday (fixing U++ to compile in Linux).

As fot that Opposite conflict, it is defined in X11 headers as

#define Opposite 4

(now tell me something about the importance of namespaces.... Smile
Re: Where to submit patches? [message #1260 is a reply to message #607] Fri, 24 February 2006 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iplayfast is currently offline  iplayfast
unodgs wrote on Wed, 18 January 2006 02:58

I'm responisble for cvs. Unfortunatelly my connection to sf cvs is extremely slow so upp repository is not updated from some time. Second reason is I had to pass user password many times during commiting what drived me crazy. I know it can be done automatically but I failed configuring it...

PS: Of course having cvs up to date do not change anything if it comes to apply patches Smile Mirek and Tom use their own versioning control system.

I just got an email from sourceforge!
Subversion is launched! Cool
Dear SourceForge.net User,

I am pleased to report that our Subversion beta was successful
and we launched our Subversion service sitewide earlier this week.
In addition, we've completed deployment of new web servers and
made further enhancements to our service monitoring and uptime
monitoring capabilities. Upcoming software map and search
improvements remain on track for March and April deployments,
respectively.

Even with all of these recent site improvements, it remains clear
to us that SourceForge.net's features, uptime and performance must
still undergo further significant improvements to ensure that we are
meeting the needs of our vast and growing audience. To that end,
we've secured additional space in our co-location facility and are
currently making preparations for hardware upgrades of our search,
CVS and database servers.

Looking beyond hardware upgrades, updating the software map and
deploying an improved search UI, our focus will soon shift to
improving the file release system and download experience. These
efforts reflect our commitment to improving SourceForge.net's
scalability and quality of service while continually refining
our users' experience on the site.

Thank you for your continued support of SourceForge.net.

Jay Seirmarco

This would be a great way to launch this version.
Re: Where to submit patches? [message #1264 is a reply to message #1260] Fri, 24 February 2006 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
iplayfast wrote on Fri, 24 February 2006 15:48

unodgs wrote on Wed, 18 January 2006 02:58

I just got an email from sourceforge!
Subversion is launched! Cool
Dear SourceForge.net User,

I am pleased to report that our Subversion beta was successful
and we launched our Subversion service sitewide earlier this week.
In addition, we've completed deployment of new web servers and
made further enhancements to our service monitoring and uptime
monitoring capabilities. Upcoming software map and search
improvements remain on track for March and April deployments,
respectively.

Even with all of these recent site improvements, it remains clear
to us that SourceForge.net's features, uptime and performance must
still undergo further significant improvements to ensure that we are
meeting the needs of our vast and growing audience. To that end,
we've secured additional space in our co-location facility and are
currently making preparations for hardware upgrades of our search,
CVS and database servers.

Looking beyond hardware upgrades, updating the software map and
deploying an improved search UI, our focus will soon shift to
improving the file release system and download experience. These
efforts reflect our commitment to improving SourceForge.net's
scalability and quality of service while continually refining
our users' experience on the site.

Thank you for your continued support of SourceForge.net.

Jay Seirmarco

This would be a great way to launch this version.

Something to consider. Anyway, while I understand uvs2 is a clear disadvantage to public image, I am reluctant to scratch 5 years of development archives:)

Mirek
Re: Where to submit patches? [message #1265 is a reply to message #1264] Fri, 24 February 2006 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luzr wrote on Fri, 24 February 2006 16:01

Something to consider. Anyway, while I understand uvs2 is a clear disadvantage to public image, I am reluctant to scratch 5 years of development archives:)

Mirek

What format are the archives in? I was able to port 5 years of cvs to subversion with little work. (There is a converter available). This was years ago. I haven't looked back.

If you are a windows user TortoiseSVN www.tortoisesvn.org is a fantastic windows interface. I use in my professional life, it will make your life easier.

Re: Where to submit patches? [message #1266 is a reply to message #1265] Fri, 24 February 2006 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
iplayfast wrote on Fri, 24 February 2006 16:18

luzr wrote on Fri, 24 February 2006 16:01

Mirek

What format are the archives in? I was able to port 5 years of cvs to subversion with little work. (There is a converter available). This was years ago. I haven't looked back.

If you are a windows user TortoiseSVN www.tortoisesvn.org is a fantastic windows interface. I use in my professional life, it will make your life easier.

uvs2. The worst of all of our sins... Smile

OTOH, despite of all problems with uvs2, I am afraid that it is quite hard to match its friendliness (when it works Smile.

Mirek
Re: Where to submit patches? [message #1269 is a reply to message #1266] Fri, 24 February 2006 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Uvs2 is not a bad thing I think. It has almost the same functionality as CVS or SVN. The main problem with this kind of source code management softwares is that it can not provide a simple patch management system.
The ideal scene would be, that contributors send patches against the current stage of the sources (readonly repo). The lead developer (after a review) tries to apply these patches (using a button on a GUI or web page) against repository. On successful compilation and behaviour of the patch the lead developer commits changes. On error, he cancels or rolls back the changes and notifies the developer of the patch.

A similar system was used by Linus in Linux development: BitKeeper, but there were some legal problems, so Linus created GIT http://git.or.cz/

So we have more options:
- develop Uvs2 to work with patches
- use GIT
- use BitKeeper (commecial)
- use something else
- create or use some patch management system to SVN or CVS

[Updated on: Fri, 24 February 2006 22:51]

Re: Where to submit patches? [message #1270 is a reply to message #1269] Fri, 24 February 2006 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
zsolt wrote on Fri, 24 February 2006 16:49

Uvs2 is not a bad thing I think. It has almost the same functionality as CVS or SVN. The main problem with this kind of source code management softwares is that it can not provide a simple patch management system.
The ideal scene would be, that contributors send patches against the current stage of the sources (readonly repo). The lead developer (after a review) tries to apply these patches (using a button on a GUI or web page) against repository. On successful compilation and behaviour of the patch the lead developer commits changes. On error, he cancels or rolls back the changes and notifies the developer of the patch.

A similar system was used by Linus in Linux development: BitKeeper, but there were some legal problems, so Linus created GIT http://git.or.cz/

So we have more options:
- develop Uvs2 to work with patches
- use GIT
- use BitKeeper (commecial)
- use something else
- create or use some patch management system to SVN or CVS

Well, for me, first option is obviously the simplest one, esp. if SVN/CVS would need additional work too.

As the first step, I will move uvs2 to the uppbox Smile

Actually, it fits very nicely to the current "anonymous" mode - when patches are implemented, the result of "anonymous" sync would be the patch file....

Mirek
Re: Where to submit patches? [message #1271 is a reply to message #1270] Fri, 24 February 2006 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Using CVS and a nice GUI you are able to work with patches, but it is not so convenient as with GIT. CVS (and SVN I think) is not able to manage patches.
Re: Where to submit patches? [message #1274 is a reply to message #1271] Sat, 25 February 2006 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out tortiousSVN, it integrates with windows explorer and makes dealing with multiple versions of code trivial. Besides the normal repository stuff it has two functions.

Create Patch
Apply Patch.

There's also revert if a patch doesn't work out.

I haven't used a subversion client on Linux but I expect they have similar capabilities.

So what was the problem with using subversion?
If I make a change, I then use Create Patch and post it.
When luzr (or the other software gods) receives a patch, they take a clean copy of their source tree and apply it. Then view the diff of the source tree to see exactly what was patched. The diff program is very nice as well.

In my view, most open source projects fail because they loose interest of key people, and no one else steps up to take their place. In order to have people available to do that the source has to be open, and accessible for people to patch and play with. Get people interested and a project will take on a life of it's own. This project has a whole lot going for it. By using a source code version control that everyone can see, the project has a greater life expectancy.
Re: Where to submit patches? [message #1277 is a reply to message #1274] Sat, 25 February 2006 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Yes, I was wrong I think. I studied SVN a little bit. Maybe most simple step would be to migrate Uvs2 repo to SVN. It's only disadvantage is that you can not work offline with SVN. SVN has history in a central repo, but Uvs2 is distributed (you have the full history locally as in GIT for example).
But the problem with this migration is that the special Uvs2 repo have to be converted.
Re: Where to submit patches? [message #1281 is a reply to message #1277] Sat, 25 February 2006 17:56 Go to previous message
Considering that there is a cvs version on sourceforge now, updating it to current beta and doing the conversion there would be the easist.
It sounds though like the cvs doesn't contain the full history?

I wonder if it would be much of a job to have Uvs2 to do a batch run of checkouts starting from the first version, and then on a local repository do a checkin to svn. Then the transfer to sourceforge would be easy and you would have the full history.

How important is the full history? If you have older history in Uvs2, and the last year or two (from cvs) in svn, would that suffice?
Previous Topic: Wikipedia article needed
Next Topic: Ultimate++ appears in Larkware's Daily Grind
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:47:31 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03582 seconds